Series Discussion: M1: New York Rangers, a subsidiary of Tom Wilson Real Estate, Inc vs WC2: Perpetrators of Horrifying Acts of Violence

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I haven’t seen anything. But surely Iorio will be out. So we need one of them or we gonna see LuJo in the playoffs.

Reactions: Neil Racki

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I really hope they can play a little more physical of a game tonight. This isn’t a “heavy” team like we’ve seen in the past, especially with the young kids. They just need to show more toughness overall. Win board battles, finish checks, much it up after the whistle, get in Shesty’s face, use their body to shield pucks, etc. A fight isn’t necessarily needed.

We also need to see more out of the top guys. Oshie is usually a playoff warrior and I think his physical limitations are really setting him back. He was nearly as engaged as he is come playoff time.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Character test time. Regardless we need Chucky to steal one but its asking too much for him to steal the entire series. The forwards have to score. Bump into their goalie and see if a DMan panic rushes to his defense and gets us a PP.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
We need to completely abandon the strategy of barely making across the blueline and then dropping it to the guy in the corner who is flat footed with no options. We need to get the puck in deep and aggressively forecheck. That's the only thing that works if you can't carry the puck in and maintain possession long enough for something to develop.

Sep 19, 2008
these refs are so lopsided even neutral fans I was watching with were upset about some of the officiating. It's blatantly one sided and it needs to stop. Caps can't play against the Rangers and the refs.

And this is a recurring theme. The refs have unfairly penalized the team all season, dating back to called-back goals because of mysterious goalie interference.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm glad I've been up in the Adirondacks for the first two games, despite the lousy internet. Nothing like taking a hike through the woods with the dog or stargazing from the porch on a cloudless night after a frustrating Caps loss to bring the blood pressure down and put things in perspective.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bravo.

Jimi was on PP1 of 8 seconds, then we moved on to Pacioretty.

Jimi needs to carry or dump and chase on the PP. The rest of these guys skate like they are in quicksand. Only worse with f***ing Pacioretty.
I think Miro brings speed and he isn’t afraid to play physical. It just makes sense getting him back into the lineup. I’d even pull NAK for him at this point. Wasn’t super impressed with him either the past two games

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I love me some Carberry but man does he lose his balls when it comes to veterans.

I have no idea what he sees in Pacioretty, he provides absolutely nothing out there.
Carberry is saddled by the understanding that management gave Ovie that they would be competing through his contract duration. But lets also be serious this is about that goal scoring record mixed in here. So he's not going to alienate his veterans here versus if the team was starting a full rebuild. Its a flawed in-between roster that someone snuck into the playoffs for four more games min.. I hate patches getting a lineup spot.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
A lot of newer fans (no offense) are not going to remember how badly the Caps were treated by refs in the 90s and early 2000s, before Ovechkin became a marketing tool for the league.

I mean, it was terrible and obvious. We always used to debate why there was such bias, and some refused to believe it, but iirc we did some analysis of the penalties and it was pretty clear.

Most of us believed it could be traced back to a few things:

1) the "have another donut" incident (look it up)
2) The limo incident (look it up)
3) The simple fact that the Caps were thought to be a lesser franchise in a non-hockey market with low ratings potential and no stars
4) Dale Hunter's hit on Turgeon

Even early in Ovie's career there was still lingering bias, especially when the Pens were involved.

Now with Ovie nearing the end of his career and the team lacking star power (and the reputation of Tom Wilson rather than Dale Hunter) there's no way the NHL wants to see the 16 seed Caps knock out the 1 seed ratings darlings NYR.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Carberry is saddled by the understanding that management gave Ovie that they would be competing through his contract duration. But lets also be serious this is about that goal scoring record mixed in here. So he's not going to alienate his veterans here versus if the team was starting a full rebuild. Its a flawed in-between roster that someone snuck into the playoffs for four more games min.. I hate patches getting a lineup spot.
I'm not sure what you're talking about with Ovie. There is no better option than him.

I was very annoyed with Pacioretty getting all that ice time on the power plays and at the end of the game. I would have preferred any one of McMichael/Lapierre/Protas/Milano being out there over Pacioretty, maybe even Dowd.

Reactions: Block

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
A lot of newer fans (no offense) are not going to remember how badly the Caps were treated by refs in the 90s and early 2000s, before Ovechkin became a marketing tool for the league.

I mean, it was terrible and obvious. We always used to debate why there was such bias, and some refused to believe it, but iirc we did some analysis of the penalties and it was pretty clear.

Most of us believed it could be traced back to a few things:

1) the "have another donut" incident (look it up)
2) The limo incident (look it up)
3) The simple fact that the Caps were thought to be a lesser franchise in a non-hockey market with low ratings potential and no stars
4) Dale Hunter's hit on Turgeon

Even early in Ovie's career there was still lingering bias, especially when the Pens were involved.

Now with Ovie nearing the end of his career and the team lacking star power (and the reputation of Tom Wilson rather than Dale Hunter) there's no way the NHL wants to see the 16 seed Caps knock out the 1 seed ratings darlings NYR.

I'd be willing to bet that if you polled the fanbase of every team, each one of them would say the refs are biased against them. I don't think we're all that uniquely singled out in ref bias, but our perception colors experience. I've never read on any other forum anything like "Sure hoping the refs continue to bless us with questionable calls in our favor again tonight".

Every fan thinks the refs hate their own teams. Its a sports fandom requirement. I do think some refs are biased for/against certain teams. But I don't think its a universal league wide agreement which ones get the good and bad treatment. Refs just make a lot of mistakes in general.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Where is the effort from the Lightning game?

They watched Jensen get taken out. In there they responded really well, they were a really physical but mostly did it smartly. They went after the Lightning hard and threw 57 hits in that game. Where is that effort? Or even half of it?

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
These playoffs have a very similar feel to the regular season, just the condensed version. Completely written off before the first game is even played. Team completely sucks out of the gate. Ovechkin is done and should retire.....
If history repeats itself we should be firing on all cylinders by game 5-6.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Whatever happens...have to return the favor re: head contact. This team is under-skilled but they've also been the softer team and that's pretty disappointing given how limited their game is.

Ya you would imagine Panarin will be targeted, especially if there is no shot at winning the game.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Where is the effort from the Lightning game?

They watched Jensen get taken out. In there they responded really well, they were a really physical but mostly did it smartly. They went after the Lightning hard and threw 57 hits in that game. Where is that effort? Or even half of it?
They went the professional route and played to win the game as the best response.

13 min down 2 in the playoffs. If we were down by 3 or more .. yeah giddy up.

Im a very emotionally knee jerk immature person and a part of me wanted them to just head hunt .. but Im glad they kept their eyes on the prize.

down 2 w 13 to go .. game isnt out of reach, Oshie came back. When he was taking a knee on the ice he told the trainer hes good. They almost tied it with the last 2 min scramble.

Im glad they didnt do what us fans wanted

-------------

With that said .. I do hope Panarin gets the exact type of hit laid out on him before its all said and done

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad