Lyle Odelein WAS having serious health issues

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Bumping this up, haven't seen this elsewhere. Aaron Portzline of The Athletic wrote a fantastic piece on Odelein last week. He was the writer who reported Odelein's serious condition in a tweet back in March after Lyle's wife Laurel contacted them.

In the piece, Portzline noted that Montreal was in Pittsburgh right after his tweet was posted. Muller and JJD, who played with Odelein, basically went hospital to hospital trying to find him (the tweet said he was in a Pittsburgh hospital but did not identify which one, as per family wishes), and eventually located him. Muller talked about seeing him in his state and weeping at his bedside.

At the time, all anyone knew was that Odelein was in bad shape. Portzline's article chronicled the entirety of the story. He had sepsis and a blood infection, which led to organ failure and he was placed into a medically induced coma. He eventually want through an unprecedented triple transplant (aortic valve, then liver, then kidney, over a 24-hour period). He survived that, but awoke 3 weeks after the surgery with a nerve disease that left him paralyzed. As he recovered he eventually got motion back, and he went from rehab to home in July, then working with therapists to go from wheelchair to walker to walking on his own.

Needless to say, Odelein's presence at the home opener to celebrate the 1993 Cup team is nothing short of miraculous.

A fabulous story, and I know I pump up The Athletic by times but stuff like this by itself is worth the 3-4$ a month for a subscription.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Incredible piece. So tough going thru something like that. My Dad went thru something similar - sick out of nowhere, no one knows what's really happening and you're watching then go downhill and you think you're just going to watch them die right in front of you. This story really touched a nerve for me, very happy to hear he's pulling thru.

Doctors gave Odelein a 5% chance of survival and he somehow made it thru a triple organ replacement - heart valve, kidney and liver. This has never been done before. So happy for the Odelein's, he was a great player for the Habs and obviously very well liked.

Very touching how Muller tracked him down. Odelein will be at the '93 celebration. That team is still tight and has supported each other thru hard times, including Demers.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Incredible piece. So tough going thru something like that. My Dad went thru something similar - sick out of nowhere, no one knows what's really happening and you're watching then go downhill and you think you're just going to watch them die right in front of you. This story really touched a nerve for me, very happy to hear he's pulling thru.

Doctors gave Odelein a 5% chance of survival and he somehow made it thru a triple organ replacement - heart valve, kidney and liver. This has never been done before. So happy for the Odelein's, he was a great player for the Habs and obviously very well liked.

Very touching how Muller tracked him down. Odelein will be at the '93 celebration. That team is still tight and has supported each other thru hard times, including Demers.

something to admire regardless the result of the club. Something to be proud of especially in our current world .

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
100% chance I'm crying in my living room on Thursday.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
One of my all-time faves. I still have his game-used stick (or game-dropped stick at least). I hope he pulls through. For those who didn't know him. Here's how Tim Hunter's nose got the way it is:

Awesome DJ job.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Pretty shocking news. He was a fan favorite for anyone who watched Montreal in the early 90s.

A true warrior, a great fighter and an all round solid defenseman.

Glad to hear he's doing better and will be at the 93 celebration.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The guy is doing much better. How about a thread title that reflects that? Based on the title, I was expecting a reoccurrence and started to cringe.

Reactions: Tyson and Acadien86

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Damn that's a great story to start my day. Lyle Odelein was an old era hockey player and to see him recover like this is friggin awesome.

I too am part of a 5% survival club but for another reason. Happened 21 Dec 2016. Grateful for the second chance.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Glad to know you’re well now, Tyson. Our health is far too often taken for granted until we don’t have it. Not saying it was your case but sometimes, we just have to be grateful for our blessings and it looks like you are.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Glad to know you’re well now, Tyson. Our health is far too often taken for granted until we don’t have it. Not saying it was your case but sometimes, we just have to be grateful for our blessings and it looks like you are.
Yeah my refusal you acknowledge that I was no longer some young and crazy Military guy was almost the end of me.

I have amazed the doctors because of my recovery. I will fill anyone in who is curious as to what happened to me but I have to get to work for the time being.

A friend of mine said the Reaper fears me...:)

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I’d be interested in hearing your story Tyson. I love a good comeback story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad