LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
During the game against Canada, the Czechs commentators mentioned American players complaining about Laine's behavior, allegedly he was acting in an arrogant, disrespectful manner and insulting the U.S. captain. An American player should say "someone is going to find him on ice sooner rather than later" or something along those lines. I wonder if that Perry incident had something to do with this, even though Perry is a *** anyway.

Laine was fine today but nothing otherwordly to be honest, people should really slow the hype train down a bit. I'm still not sold on his skating and overall hockey sense.

Knowing his history I wouldn't be surprised. I mean he acts pretty chill in front of the camera, but we don't know what's going on the ice. He and Marchand seemed to like each other tho. :sarcasm:

It's hard to change your personality, especially if you have anger issues like Laine has had in the past.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Gotta love Laine with the confident attitude he brings on the ice.
And yeah, the US also went after Laine in their game vs Finland. Did that happen to Laine during the Liiga playoffs?

Yes it did all the time. For example in the finals the other team put agiator, who didn't play a single playoff game, on pre-game warmup to try and mess with Laine.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

And yeah, the US also went after Laine in their game vs Finland. Did that happen to Laine during the Liiga playoffs?

Not really. I don't remember any cases from Liiga playoffs.

Best player today in scoring attempt plays (8 total, 5 attempts, 3 created), Perry (5) and Barkov (5) second best guys. Nice night.

The level of competition obviously doesn't matter, he just keeps going.

IamherefortheFinn

ObsessedWithTheLion
May 24, 2015
Trio Areena
Looks like the tidal wave is chancing:

At he end of this story (http://www.tsn.ca/matthews-pointless-laine-roughed-up-in-last-preliminary-game-1.491058)

Potential first overall pick Patrik Laine was in pain on the bench after Corey Perry appeared to kick out the leg of the Finnish star on his way for a line change, a play that Ray Ferraro called "dirty". However, Laine did return to the game.

And i stumbled to this video as well: HLUSHKO: SCARES ME THAT LEAFS MAY PASS ON LAINE FOR MATTHEWS http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hlushko-scares-leafs-may-pass-laine-matthews/

Sadly the video refuses to work for me.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I loved how he took those agitations from Canadians and just laughed and sometimes gave a few words back.:yo: This kid just doesn't care.

Great overall performance from him. I hope he had scored one of those.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Not really. I don't remember any cases from Liiga playoffs.

Best player today in scoring attempt plays (8 total, 5 attempts, 3 created), Perry (5) and Barkov (5) second best guys. Nice night.

Not sure if you followed alot, but you shoould remember at least this one from the Final series.

Pretty confident that's not the only case.

Afrodude

Nov 25, 2011
Finland
During the game against Canada, the Czechs commentators mentioned American players complaining about Laine's behavior, allegedly he was acting in an arrogant, disrespectful manner and insulting the U.S. captain. An American player should say "someone is going to find him on ice sooner rather than later" or something along those lines. I wonder if that Perry incident had something to do with this, even though Perry is a *** anyway.

Laine was fine today but nothing otherwordly to be honest, people should really slow the hype train down a bit. I'm still not sold on his skating and overall hockey sense.

I heard that the U.S players chirped at him alot before the game, cant find the source, but found it on Twitter. If that've happened to me, I'd too be disrespectful against U.S.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012

Of course there was some yapping etc. but I think Canada was the first team who tried to injure Laine on purpose

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden

Damn, that was not fun to hear. As such a skilled player there's no need to have a bad attitude.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
That was only chatting. Not any kind of dirty plays.

Well yeah no cheap shots. But then again I don't know what kind of skill is it to make trough slew foots or stuff like that. They're just.. well, dirty plays. What you need against them is a Goon or goonish guy on team, that's what you need for it and that's why they have that type of guys in the NHL.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
but I think Canada was the first team who tried to injure Laine on purpose

I don't know if that was on purpose, it could have been an accident by Perry.

But, and this is a HUGE but.....he was obviously targeted, by Canada, the best hockey nation in the world was actually paying a lot of attention to shut Laine down (and they didn't, he was the best player on the ice today). That should give you some indication how much respect they already have for his skills.

I had my doubts as one has with any junior going against the elite of the world. I do not have those doubts anymore, at all. I thought his (and Aho's) skating and maturity would result in a couple of bad turnovers and goals. I was very very wrong. Today he outplayed a couple of superstars. It's ridiculously impressive. And have to say, Aho also played a much better, safer game than the previous ones. What a steal by Carolina.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009

This doesnt surprise me lol, seems like he has a little agitator in him based on what I saw in the game today. Unfortunately it might get him targeted too, like the Perry play.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I don't know if that was on purpose, it could have been an accident by Perry.

But, and this is a HUGE but.....he was obviously targeted, by Canada, the best hockey nation in the world was actually paying a lot of attention to shut Laine down (and they didn't, he was the best player on the ice today). That should give you some indication how much respect they already have for his skills.

I had my doubts as one has with any junior going against the elite of the world. I do not have those doubts anymore, at all. I thought his (and Aho's) skating and maturity would result in a couple of bad turnovers and goals. I was very very wrong. Today he outplayed a couple of superstars. It's ridiculously impressive. And have to say, Aho also played a much better, safer game than the previous ones. What a steal by Carolina.

Look again please, he clearly reaches his leg towards Laine. Worth of suspension.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Not sure if you followed alot, but you shoould remember at least this one from the Final series.

Pretty confident that's not the only case.

Translation for non-finnish people:

Laine 0:08: He just came up to me and told something like I haven't hit the net last couple of games. Well but it's only a good thing and I should ask him to have a conversation in the next game too but that's all little bit of talking there.

Journalist 0:26: So this was a guy that didn't even dress to the game just the warm-ups (Laine laughing at this moment) and then you go and have a goal and 2 assists so was this something that lit you up?

Laine 0:33: Yeah a littlebit I like when guys like that, I didn't even know who he was, comes up to me and tells me I'm struggling so I think this was quite a good payback for it.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Look again please, he clearly reaches his leg towards Laine. Worth of suspension.

I've seen it, I've seen Perrys reaction too. It was a **** play and there is a possibility that it was on purpose. It looks bad for Perry. Just not sure if that was his intention. Maybe because I don't think of Perry as a player who would do that. I might be naive in that regard.

EDIT: yeah, you're right. Perry could have easily avoided it. He chose to do it. But I don't think it was meant to injure, just to hurt. Which of course deserves a suspension too.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Looks like the tidal wave is chancing:

At he end of this story (http://www.tsn.ca/matthews-pointless-laine-roughed-up-in-last-preliminary-game-1.491058)

And i stumbled to this video as well: HLUSHKO: SCARES ME THAT LEAFS MAY PASS ON LAINE FOR MATTHEWS http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hlushko-scares-leafs-may-pass-laine-matthews/

Sadly the video refuses to work for me.

I'll transcribe this video.

1 = left guy 2 = center guy 3 = right guy

1: "I can't be the only one looking to see what Patrik Laine does against world class competition like this."

3: "I... I'm right there with you. I... listen. I was thinking about this on the way in because I knew we were gonna discuss this, and you know the comparisons between Matthews and Laine. Patrik Laine is a beast. Like, a beast. And I'm not... I know that you know (name or something) was saying earlier that you know, talent level's maybe down a little bit. But here's a kid who's 18 years old that's playing against NHLers. I don't care if they're not the super stars of their team. He's playing at a high level. I am very interested as well, (name), to see what he does against this all star line up from Canada because... I'll tell you right now, I said it on this show before, that I... If I'm the Winnipeg Jets, I am sitting so pretty right now, so happy that they don't have to make the decision between who it's gonna be: Matthews or Laine. Because Laine to me... It scares me so much that Toronto might have to pass on this kid to get Matthews, because I think Laine is the real deal. Plays with a chip on his shoulder, big guy. He, to me..."

1: "The gap's closed between Matthews and Laine."

3: "Absolutely. But they're not gonna take Laine. It's gonna be Matthews for su.... I think."

(stuff about Ellis, skipping)

2: "Laine is playing with a real good Finnish team. But, you look at... right now he's got 10 points. The all-time record by an... a junior European was (name) - got 11. The all-time record, period, is Sidney Crosby, had 16 points at that tournament. So that's putting in context that he could very likely could set up a new record for a junior type player playing in the worlds."

1: "Be interesting to watch just as it relates to what's gonna happen at the draft. There were some that were looking at this world championship to see what Matthews did and see what Laine did to... to figure where they slot in."

3: "I thi... I mean, there's enough pros out there and the scouts... The scouts are hired for a reason, they know what they're doing. And they know... I... I don't think that one tournament's gonna... you know, shift it one way or another. I think that they have a determination of who they're gonna take but I'll tell you what: I wouldn't wanna be the guy to make that ultimate decision which I guess is Hunter right now for Toronto. To decide one way... There's no su... there's no crystal ball knowing who's gonna be, like, that much better 3 or 4 years from now. But I'll tell you what: Man that Laine is a good player and if... if they g... I mean, Winnipeg... A... Honestly, I know you're a jets guy, and Winnipeg is sitting so pretty right now, not having to make that decision. "

1: "Laine is just so chill. That..."

3: "He's awesome. Love him."

1: "That face time interview that we did... on, on the draft lottery night. And he's just laying back and chilling out."

3: "Just believes in himself, that's the thing."

2: "Um... tougher decision would have been last year: Hanifin and Marner. I think you can't lose this way. I think you can't lose."

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I've seen it, I've seen Perrys reaction too. It was a **** play and there is a possibility that it was on purpose. It looks bad for Perry. Just not sure if that was his intention. Maybe because I don't think of Perry as a player who would do that. I might be naive in that regard.

EDIT: yeah, you're right. Perry could have easily avoided it. He chose to do it. But I don't think it was meant to injure, just to hurt. Which of course deserves a suspension too.

You don't think of Perry as a player who does that? What? Youtube "Corey Perry dirty" and let loose.

I thought that Perry was pretty close to the bottom of the pile for respect in NHL.

The most scoring chances in the game caused or finished by him by far, a successful forecheck into a good pass and an S grade scoring chance for Barkov, a good backhand pass into at least an A grade scoring chance as well. A few powerful shots on goal, a breakaway that just barely missed despite the shot failing, at least 2 big hits... What are you expecting? He's the youngest player in the whole tournament. This is against top NHLers and by consensus the most powerful player material in the tournament. Alright, he had a few overly ambitious passes and a couple of blatantly poor plays but even Ellis had a giveaway leading into a goal, people make mistakes, especially at this age. Again, what are you expecting? Ovechkin's first WC was when he was over half a year older and he was 1+1=2. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Induvidual scoring chances and scoring attempts from Canada vs. Finland game:

Player, Goals + Assists + Scoring attempts + Created attempts + Screened attempts + Other good play + Quality chance extra = Total

Finland
LW Jokinen, 0+0+1+1+0+0+0 = 2
C Barkov, 0+0+2+2+0+1+3 = 8
RW Laine, 0+0+5+2+0+1+3 = 11
------------------------------------
LW Granlund, 0+1+0+0+0+0+0 = 1
C Koivu, 0+0+0+2+0+0+0 = 2
RW Komarov, 1+0+1+1+0+1+0 = 4
------------------------------------
LW Pyörälä, 1+1+1+0+0+1+1 = 5
C Koskiranta, 1+0+1+0+0+0+0 = 2
RW Aho, 0+1+2+1+0+0+1 = 5
-------------------------------------
LW Pihlström, 0+0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0
C Sallinen, 0+0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0
RW Rantanen, 0+1+0+0+0+1+0 = 2
-------------------------------------
LD Lindell, 0+0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0
RD Pokka, 0+0+0+0+0+1+0 = 1
LD Jaakola, 0+0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0
RD Hietanen, 0+0+1+1+0+0+0 = 2
LD Kukkonen, 0+0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0
RD Ohtamaa, 0+0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0
D Kivistö, 1+0+0+0+0+0+0 = 1

Canada:
LW Hall, 0+0+4+0+0+0+1 = 5
C McDavid, 0+0+1+1+0+0+2 = 4
RW Duchene, 0+0+1+2+2+0+0 = 5
----------------------------------------
LW Callagher, 0+0+1+2+2+0+0 = 5
C O'Reilly, 0+0+2+2+0+0+2 = 6
RW Perry, 0+0+3+0+2+0+3 = 8
LW Domi, 0+0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0
C Brassard, 0+0+1+1+0+1+0 = 3
RW Jenner, 0+0+0+0+0+1+0 = 1
LW Marchand, 0+0+0+0+1+0+0 = 1
C Scheifele, 0+0+3+0+0+0+0 = 3
RW Stone, 0+0+0+1+0+0+0 = 1
LD Reilly, 0+0+1+0+0+0+0 = 1
RD Tanev, 0+0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0
LD Murray, 0+0+0+2+0+0+0 = 2
RD Ellis, 0+0+3+2+0+0+0 = 5
LD Matheson, 0+0+0+1+0+0+0 = 1
RD Ceci, 0+0+1+0+0+0+0 = 1
D Dumba, 0+0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0

Quality chances:
Perry 3 chances
Barkov 3 chances (2 chances + 1 created)
Laine 3 chances (2 chances + 1 created)
Pyörälä 2 chances (1 goal + 1 chance)
McDavid 2 chances (1 chance + 1 created)
O'Reilly 2 chances (1 chance + 1 created)
Komarov 1 chance (goal)
Koskiranta 1 chance (goal)
Hall 1 chance
Aho 1 chance
Kivistö goal (not a scoring chance, just a horrible goalie mistake)

This is not biased or anything, I have done this data for years and suddenly Laine just always comes strongest on the stat sheet and beats earlier comparables. He is a BEAST.

Finland - Canada 4-0

Scoring attempts
0 -10min, 2-9 (quality chances 1-3)
10-20min, 5-2 (quality chances 2-0)
20-30min, 2-2 (quality chances 1-2) Finland scores 1-0
30-40min, 3-2 (quality chances 3-1) Finland scores 2-0 and 3-0
40-50min, 1-4 (quality chances 1-0) Finland scores 4-0
50-60min, 5-2 (quality chances 2-0)

Scoring attempts total:
FIN-CAN
18-21

Quality chances total:
FIN-CAN
10-6

Weird game. Canada was better at puck possession, but Finland got lucky goals thanks to Talbot's horrible goaltending. Finland had 6 scoring attempts in-a-row from 26minutes to 42mins and scored 4 goals of them. This kind of puck luck hasn't happen ever on my game "eye-test" data.

More realistic result would have been 3-2 or something.

Last edited:

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
"It's an honor to get picked on by NHL stars, I must be pretty good."
- Patrik Laine

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

:help: You can't be that naive. This is Perry we are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad