Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
CONGRATS LAINE!!!!!!

Ehlers Schiefele Ehlers

Trouba's back, with JMO
and Helly ( hope the team just role with him )

nice line up!

GO JETS GO!

Laine,
scored on tip in
greasy goal
touch shot

and he wanted to fight... hope he doesn't

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
That Laine is better than Matthews is not surprising. What's surprising is that Laine, as a 18-year-old, is already better than 19-year-old Matthews. I thought this to be simply impossible, since there is relatively huge age cap right now, that disappears in a few years.

Laine is a 1998 player that has completely destroyed 1997 Matthews on their respective international tournaments, when compared age to age, apples to apples. With a larger margin that Matthews did beat Eichel, for instance.

Laine is obviously raw, but he is a very multi-faceted, multi-talented guy, and once he gets himself to the physical level he needs, you will be blown away with his complete play, his playmaking, deking etc. He obviously has a tremendous shot. Even his haters admit that. But what they do not agree is that he can simply do it all, when on his prime. You could see that if you watched when in FEL he ridiculed 30-year-old seasoned veterans as a 17-year-old.

He is so smart guy, and that's why he has played it simple and had "only" scored goals (and several hits) so far, since he is still lacking strength to do the total domination in NHL. He played that way also in WHC also, off-wing.

Toronto fans should not be disappointed, since Matthews is a beast already. Jets fans are clear winners here, but that's taking nothing away from them or from Matthews. The draft is history already, and the competition is over. Matthews won the draft already. Now it's about who is / will be better in the NHL, and I have a quite strong opinion on that.

Even if Laine scored every game a hat trick, that would not make Matthews any better or worse. They are not competiting against each others (other than for the Calder race, maybe). They are professional hockey players with a great drive to win for their teams. I hope we can respect that.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I really liked Laine's final goal. So many players find that specific one timer difficult and need to receive the puck before getting that shot off. He also snapped it really really hard.

So is Laine the youngest player to have scored 2 hat tricks?

That Laine is better than Matthews is not surprising. What's surprising is that Laine, as a 18-year-old, is already better than 19-year-old Matthews. I thought this to be simply impossible, since there is relatively huge age cap right now, that disappears in a few years.

As pro-Laine as I've been, I thought that it'd actually be very likely that Matthews has the better start to his NHL career. Especially when we consider that Matthews has had vast experience playing in small rinks and that he has numerous tools that are very useful in NHL-specific play styles, I thought that it'd only be natural for him to significantly outperform Laine early on.

I expected Laine to end up being better than Matthews, but would have not considered it a failure for Laine even if he had a slow start and a relatively mediocre first season. I had Laine's potential for improvement both regarding his skills and his body much higher than Matthews's, especially considering their ages.

That's why I'm extremely excited, because not only is Laine doing so well right now, the potential that I saw him having for improvement hasn't gone anywhere. It'll be extremely exciting to see where he'll be able to go from here.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
To be fair, he's a lot better than the reasonable fans who thought he'd have a 20-20-40ish rookie year. Right now it looks like he'll breeze past 30 goals

Yes he is. Keeping on mind his very young age and relatively recent (2 years ago) recovery from an injury that did hurt his speed seriously, I did think that he would make 15-20 goals this season, if everything went well, no injuries, no AHL and 2nd PP-unit minutes.

So Laine, I'm asking 4 goals more in the last 68 games :amazed:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016

Laine is a 1998 player that has completely destroyed 1997 Matthews on their respective international tournaments, when compared age to age, apples to apples. With a larger margin that Matthews did beat Eichel, for instance.

Laine is obviously raw, but he is a very multi-faceted, multi-talented guy, and once he gets himself to the physical level he needs, you will be blown away with his complete play, his playmaking, deking etc. He obviously has a tremendous shot. Even his haters admit that. But what they do not agree is that he can simply do it all, when on his prime. You could see that if you watched when in FEL he ridiculed 30-year-old seasoned veterans as a 17-year-old.

He is so smart guy, and that's why he has played it simple and had "only" scored goals (and several hits) so far, since he is still lacking strength to do the total domination in NHL. He played that way also in WHC also, off-wing.

Toronto fans should not be disappointed, since Matthews is a beast already. Jets fans are clear winners here, but that's taking nothing away from them or from Matthews. The draft is history already, and the competition is over. Matthews won the draft already. Now it's about who is / will be better in the NHL, and I have a quite strong opinion on that.

Even if Laine scored every game a hat trick, that would not make Matthews any better or worse. They are not competiting against each others (other than for the Calder race, maybe). They are professional hockey players with a great drive to win for their teams. I hope we can respect that.

Totally agreed. This kid is an animal, when i first saw him dominating U-20 WJC i knew, this kids going to be something very special. He said himself that he wants to be the best player ever what is totally different attitude than Finns usually have. And what i seem from him so far in NHL i think he have all the tools to be best goalscorer we have ever seen.

Its so amazing if he takes Maurice Richards Trophy in his first season.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Couldn't agree more, but the people raving over his "hand eye" probably haven't played hockey before. Tapping a slow floating puck down out of the air like that is something half the people in my beer league can do, I mean his hand was so far down the shaft he probably could've just gloved it down.

But the shot... the shot was insane. Great deception. Almost nobody in the NHL goes clean five hole like that with the goalie expecting something completely different. I've seen Crosby do it and that's about it.

This is ABSOLUTE GOLD, GOLD I TELL YOU!

Browsing this thread, I simply love this contribution. I'm not sure where to go with this...

Can I get season tickets to your beer league?

Are all you guys just making too much money to play in the N.H.L?

Is this a ridiculous attempt to save face, pretending that Laine is a one-trick pony?

For what it's worth, your post is precious. I will treasure it forever. I don't even care if you turn out to be a 9 year old fan-boy from the center of the universe... to me this is the best post ever, anywhere!

Last edited:

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto

It's been less then 15 NHL games. Matthews could very well be the superior NHL'er, and vice versa.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
After World Cup, I wonder how much someone would have gotten roasted here if he had said that Laine would lead the league in goals while putting 15 points in 14 games. :laugh:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I was one the Finns, that said let's take it easy. He's nowhere near Barkov etc. But gotta give him credit now. He's doing awesome, and I hope he continues that way. Our national team has been without a proper sniper for too long.

... I forgot we have a national team. :amazed:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Oh my goodness! I thought Laine is a Grizzly. This is wrong! He is a T-Rex.
A new Monster is born ;)!

He did tell what his favorite dinosaur is the first thing he came to 'peg.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The man could play in this years WJC. AND next years too. But kids on the hunt for Rocket Richard Trophy already it seems so far :yo:

Called him legit choise for 1st pick all the way from the draft, I knew he has potential to be the best player in the NHL sooner or later without any doubt, but he's still passed my expectations when it comes to his start of rookie season. I never called him start as well as Selanne 25 years ago :yo:

Matthews has about PPG start too, not saying like hes a bust or something, or that he isn't legit 1st pick too. I put this in just for toronto fans. Not flaming just loving whats happening right now, wow.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I thought it was strange during the 2016 draft show that the hosts never even considered the possibility of Laine at #1. They were all proclaiming Matthews the pick, even before the Leafs went up to the podium.

It ended up being true, but I was puzzled why people seemed to think it was that clear cut. Laine impressed me more throughout the year of the draft than Matthews did.

Both are and will be tremendous players, but I think Laine has the edge.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
there's none

Just look at that. 5th in the league in points scored.

Especially when we take the ages into account, there are many statlines I'd be more impressed by than Selänne's rookie season. 50+30 would do the trick for me, easily(Assuming it's ~top 5). Especially if 50 is the goal scoring leader(Mogilny was tied with Selänne).

Selänne's rookie season is really overrated due to the season it was performed during.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Without any consideration for league strength or age, for Laine to end up having better rookie season than Selanne he would need to be top-3 in goals and top-5 in points. Selanne was tied for first in goals, but 3rd in GPG and 5th in points 7th in PGP.

But considering the age difference, Laine cracking top-10 in goals and/or points could be considered better. For more recent example, Ovechkin was 3rd in goals and points and 5th in GPG and PPG in his rookie season. And he was 20 years back then.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
If it upsets you so much, then perhaps the Laine thread isn't for you.

Doesn't upset me at all, just thought it was a clear baiting attempt. I'm curious as to why Matthews name is brought up so much anyways, I usually come to prospect threads to talk about the prospects, not other ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad