LW Maxime Comtois (2017, 50th, ANA)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are plenty of other good players

Yup, I wouldn't count out a defenseman like Liljegren or Vaakanainnen from going #1.

This could be like the '14 draft where there are a few good forwards at the top, but none who are #1C's or PPG wingers, so a defenseman who could be one of the best defenseman in the NHL could go #1.

Jamesbay

Oct 19, 2014
Yup, I wouldn't count out a defenseman like Liljegren or Vaakanainnen from going #1.

This could be like the '14 draft where there are a few good forwards at the top, but none who are #1C's or PPG wingers, so a defenseman who could be one of the best defenseman in the NHL could go #1.

Yeah a D could go first.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Could any of the Q-watchers provide comments on him as a player in general and on his performance this season?

I haven't seen a lot of him (a bit from Canada Games, U17, a small number of Q steams b/c I became more interested).

He's looked really good anytime I've seen him play (but admittedly my viewing sample is a handful of games).

His 'stats test' results are impressive to say the least - about a PPG (26g/30a/56 pts/ 57games) on an average/low-ish scoring Q team. But I get that stats aren't everything (and are nothing without context).

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Can someone give me an NHL comparable and is he likely to play Center or Wing at the NHL level?

To me he's a winger at the NHL level. Skating will need to get better as it was exposed a bit at the U-18. Super smart player with a great mix of skills and grit. I'm not good with comparable maybe someone will give you one.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
To me he's a winger at the NHL level. Skating will need to get better as it was exposed a bit at the U-18. Super smart player with a great mix of skills and grit. I'm not good with comparable maybe someone will give you one.

His skating will get better for sure, some great skating coaches in Quebec.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Usually he posts them in the threads pretty quickly after creating them, but KillEmAll83 has made one on Comtois.

After seeing him a couple times on TV, watching this and conferring with people who have scouted him, I'd say he reminds me a fair bit of Matt Tkachuk skillset wise or as said by someone else Ryan Smyth. Not the greatest skater, but can use his size to drive the net, make the smart but simple pass, score in close on rebounds and has good hand eye to deflect pucks (and no fear standing there). Should be an interesting guy to watch. If Leafs fall out of Liljegren range, and there are no good RHD in that spot I could see Comtois being an intriguing option.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He’s a definite top 5 guy for me and him+Laberge will be electric next year. Think him, Vilardi and Liljegren will be the tier 2 after Patrick. He reminds me of Landeskog a bit.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He’s a definite top 5 guy for me and him+Laberge will be electric next year. Think him, Vilardi and Liljegren will be the tier 2 after Patrick. He reminds me of Landeskog a bit.
Keep an eye on Tippett. If Nylander doesn't return to the Steelheads He'll have that first line winger spot. Comtois game is more workmanlike, Tippett is quite dynamic. I'd also add I think Liljegren is closer to Patrick than Vilardi. We are still a long way out though so it will get interesting.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
This is a guy I could see the Leafs picking up between 4 and 10 (because we all know we won't win a lottery pick next year :laugh: )

He should be exciting to see in the Q next year.

LarrysMustache

Feb 29, 2016
Usually he posts them in the threads pretty quickly after creating them, but KillEmAll83 has made one on Comtois.

After seeing him a couple times on TV, watching this and conferring with people who have scouted him, I'd say he reminds me a fair bit of Matt Tkachuk skillset wise or as said by someone else Ryan Smyth. Not the greatest skater, but can use his size to drive the net, make the smart but simple pass, score in close on rebounds and has good hand eye to deflect pucks (and no fear standing there). Should be an interesting guy to watch. If Leafs fall out of Liljegren range, and there are no good RHD in that spot I could see Comtois being an intriguing option.

I think hes got a lot more power in his game than those 2, he might be an easy 6'2" 200 when he gets drafted. If he works on his skating skills he might be a great two way player at the next level

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think hes got a lot more power in his game than those 2, he might be an easy 6'2" 200 when he gets drafted. If he works on his skating skills he might be a great two way player at the next level
Thats the size of Matt Tkachuk (give or take 5 pounds), Smyth played around 6'2 195 I'm pretty sure. Tkachuk uses his size to hit and be aggressive, he tends to pick his spots a bit but that may be due to getting a boatload of ice time.

LarrysMustache

Feb 29, 2016
Thats the size of Matt Tkachuk (give or take 5 pounds), Smyth played around 6'2 195 I'm pretty sure. Tkachuk uses his size to hit and be aggressive, he tends to pick his spots a bit but that may be due to getting a boatload of ice time.

no point fussing about this but power is more about his board play as a 16 years old which is really impressive. With laberge possibly on his line next year, I could see him having a PLD kind of year. A driving force rather than a recipient on his line...

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Listened to it before and it was a great interview. He's #2 for me behind only Patrick heading into this year. Him and Laberge will be dynamic together

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Really solid kid. His playmaking and defensive abilities could lead to a team developing him as a Center I think, though some of that depends on Victoriaville's usage of him as well.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Great start to the year for him. He scored 1G on the pp with a one timer but could've easily had a lot more as he was dangerous all night. Also had a fight as he came to the defence of a teammate who got run into the boards from behind. Was great defensively and was physical as well while playing LW/RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad