LW Kirill Maksimov - Barys, KHL (2017, 146th, EDM released)

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
It's all very strange. I guess he didn't like not playing in NHL preseason games and being sent to the AHL immediately? Back to KHL?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This guy is a good example of why Oilers fans shouldn't get too excited about Petrov. Maksimov also scored a lot of points in the CHL. So have many Russians before him. I'll believe it when I see it that Petrov is an NHL'er.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This guy is a good example of why Oilers fans shouldn't get too excited about Petrov. Maksimov also scored a lot of points in the CHL. So have many Russians before him. I'll believe it when I see it that Petrov is an NHL'er.
Having seen both of these players first hand at the junior level I have to say that their games aren't particularly comparable. One thing that I remember specifically about Maksimov's game is how frequently he took unnecessary penalties due to being too aggressive.

I agree that we should be realistic about Petrov, but he's easily the better tracking prospect at 19. His game is heavily reliant on his shot release which is NHL calibre already. There's a skillset there that could result in him being a role player at the next level. He also possesses good size and footspeed. Maksimov was a little slow IIRC.

Petrov was pretty undervalued in his draft year due to lack of exposure.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Having seen both of these players first hand at the junior level I have to say that their games aren't particularly comparable. One thing that I remember specifically about Maksimov's game is how frequently he took unnecessary penalties due to being too aggressive.

I agree that we should be realistic about Petrov, but he's easily the better tracking prospect at 19. His game is heavily reliant on his shot release which is NHL calibre already. There's a skillset there that could result in him being a role player at the next level. He also possesses good size and footspeed. Maksimov was a little slow IIRC.

Petrov was pretty undervalued in his draft year due to lack of exposure.
Watching Maksimov play for Jukurit, I thought his speed was just fine. He just seemed to have very low hockey IQ and be "outside the game" almost all the time.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Watching Maksimov play for Jukurit, I thought his speed was just fine. He just seemed to have very low hockey IQ and be "outside the game" almost all the time.

I watched him for a year in the AHL.. oodles of skill and size and skating... but wow... the guy's motor was a 3 out of 10 and just floated a lot outside the play. I feel the same way about Safin. So much skill/size to be an impact player and would show flashes of brilliance but too much perimeter play.

Petrov I've never seen.

Holloway and Bourgault I already know will be NHLers. Their motors are 9 out of 10 and they have some serious underrated skill. Will they be top-6 or bottom-6ers? Dunno.

The jump from CHL to AHL is huge. Ryan Merkley looked like the worst player on the ice in his rookie season (20-21). A total pylon. I said to myself.. how did this guy even get drafted?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Petrov is a late pick who is tracking well. It's fine for Oilers fans to be excited about him, as long as we still remember that he, as a late pick, isn't a guarantee. Expectations absolutely need to be pulled back in for this kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad