LW Isaac Ratcliffe (2017, 35th, PHI; traded to NSH)

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Bump. While watching Suzuki during Guelph’s playoff run, I had the chance to take a closer look at Ratcliffe and boy is he fun to watch. 6’6” with sick hands and a great shot. He’s an extremely underrated prospect.

He can get lost in that shuffle of awesome Flyers prospects for sure.

Mar 12, 2009
He's developed very nicely in Guelph. The only knock I've had on him this year that has been noticeable is a lack of discipline when he/the team get's frustrated. Though, this was an issue for a lot of the team so I'm not sure it's necessarily a "him" issue.

He may need a year, maybe 2, in the AHL to fully develop things, fill out his massive frame more and round his game out to be highly effective at the next level, but man is he a force when he's on. Obviously a huge kid, he's strong, good skater (at any height, very good for his size), physical with a mean streak, great nose for the net and scoring ability, good hands and solid playmaking ability.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
When the Coyotes traded down from this pick, Chayka admitted at the time that Ratcliffe is the player they would have selected if the trade hasn’t materialized. I really wish the damn called dropped.

Reactions: Devonator

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
When the Coyotes traded down from this pick, Chayka admitted at the time that Ratcliffe is the player they would have selected if the trade hasn’t materialized. I really wish the damn called dropped.
Really? I know Westerlund has been underwhelming, but you also got Schnarr and Hoefenmayer out of it, both of whom look fantastic so far.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Really? I know Westerlund has been underwhelming, but you also got Schnarr and Hoefenmayer out of it, both of whom look fantastic so far.
Schnarr is fine. I’d rather have Ratcliffe.

The Coyotes appear poised to let Hoeffenmayer walk. Doesn’t look like they’re going to sign him. So he’s meaningless to us.

Speaking of meaningless, I was positive Westerlund would be a bust the moment we drafted him and he’s done nothing at all to encourage me even the slightest since. Here’s my draft day posts:

Doesn't score at all and is called a "defensive defenseman" at 5'11 174. Haha. Yikes. This won't end well.

My first reaction was "whelp, there's an obvious bust. Checks every single box for bust." But I have to give the benefit of the doubt to our scouting department. I've never seen the player play. Based on what I know, this is a clear as day bad pick. But luckily I don't know much. Maybe he works out. It'll be against all odds but that's the most fun anyway.

Usually the league's top defensive defensemen put up great numbers prior to making the NHL. They're also usually at least 6'1 when drafted. Let's look at the top Defensive D in the league today in their draft years:

6'2 Hjalmarsson - 0.50ppg in J20 Swedish league
6'2 Tanev - .80ppg in OJHL (followed by .70ppg in NCAA in D+1 yr)
6'3 Larsson - 17pts in 49 games in the SHL not Swedish jr league.
6'1 Vlasic - over a ppg in the Q
6'2 Braun - 14pts in 39 games but in a top D1 NCAA program

Compared to 5'10 Westerlund and his 7pts in the J20 league and 4pts in the SEL.

I've never seen him play. But if he reaches his projection the Coyotes made for him, he'll be a truly unique player. A guy drafted in the 2nd round to be a defensive D who puts up no points at all and is short is not a player I can recall seeing in the NHL at any point in recent history. He will be the extreme outlier if he reaches hisnnhlnpotential.

Even going back a bit, each of Scuderi, Hannan, and Michalek were 6'1 and had better than a half a point per game in the NCAA, Dub, and Q respectively.

Can you guys help me think of a really good NHL defensive D that was taken fairly early (call it first 100 picks) in the last 15yrs that had lousy offensive output and was short?

Drafting Westerlund in the 2nd round was idiotic.

Ratcliffe > Schnarr+Nothing+Nothing

Reactions: jvr32 and Dominance

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hexy was smart to deal 3 picks to move up for Ratcliffe. Same thing with 2 picks to Toronto to move up for Konecny. Brilliant deals.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Hexy was smart to deal 3 picks to move up for Ratcliffe. Same thing with 2 picks to Toronto to move up for Konecny. Brilliant deals.

Toronto got Dermott and Bracco out of that I believe. Konecny has definitely had a bigger impact so far. Ultimate upside/results still TBD though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad