LW Hunter Shinkaruk (2013, 24th, VAN; 2016 traded, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Who said he is supposed to be a better goal scorer? I'm pretty sure all I have heard from Benning is that he is a better two way player.

I posted this in Shinkaruk's first goal thread as well... ;

Another small skilled winger. You guys can have him.

What's with all the Benning hatred? He gave up on some 175 pound puck hog who can't win a board battle or play defense.
A couple points in a couple games during garbage time. Plan the parade

Baertschi made Shinkaruk expendable, we had to move on, the deal was made. Get over it. Calgary wants to try to win 4 playoff rounds with their top two LW's combing for a weight of 340 pounds? Be my guest, good luck with that.

Yeah cuz what this team needs are definitely more bottom 6 players. Or should i say, more unproven bottom 6 players, since Granlund isn't really much more proven than Shinkaruk. He was drafted 2 years earlier than Shinkaruk and Shinkaruk missed a whole year because of an injury.

It's not like we're the worst team in the league in goals scored right now. It's not like we needed a winger that can score and put up points more than we needed a bottom 6 player. Our top6 is GREAT!

Shinkaruk was NEVER given a fair shot in the NHL, even though we've been struggling with scoring goals for months. ONE single player on our team made him expandable? OK!

As far as value goes, Shinkaruk was one of our most valuable prospects, and we gave him up for a guy with a ****ing bottom 6 ceiling. It truly is mind boggling, if you're gonna trade a guy like that, at least trade him for something we actually NEED, like say a defenceman that Benning has been talking about for 2 years. Benning hasn't won a single trade as far as giving up less value for more, that would be the Etem trade if any, too bad that he's also struggling with putting up points. People will mention the Baertschi trade, and honestly, i like that one myself and always did. But fact is, no other GM were willing to give up a 2nd for Baertschi, Benning was the only one who would. So take that for what it's worth.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A talented and skilled player. Whoever said skill always shines through in the end. Shinkaruk may be the acid test for this statement. If all it took was just skill to play this game, he would have that covered. But we know this is not always the case in varying degrees.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Celebrated after his goal in an already out of reach game. Tells you pretty much all you need to know about Shinkaruk. Cares about himself far more than the team, Canucks won that trade big time.

This gotta be the worse post ive read on this forum it was his FIRST nhl goal of course is happy! Just like all his teammates for him too! I said from the day i joined this forum about Shincky the Canucks got a GEM and since Benning took power here knew he was gonna do the dummest thing ever to trade Shincky and look it happend traded him for nothing and now when given the proper chance hes a PPG player. Soso angry with Benning theres no way Canucks win this trade :rant:

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
He gave up on some 175 pound puck hog who can't win a board battle or play defense.

Short sample size but he's shown a lot more grit in board battles than either Granlund or Baertschi. And he has superior speed and elusiveness to those two as well. Use whatever narrative you need to make yourself feel better about the trade I guess.

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
Short sample size but he's shown a lot more grit in board battles than either Granlund or Baertschi. And he has superior speed and elusiveness to those two as well. Use whatever narrative you need to make yourself feel better about the trade I guess.

Please ignore these hypocritical Canucks fans.

Happy for Shink getting his first nhl goal, he has all the potential to be a top 6 offensive winger, too bad our GM value's ahl grinders more. :(

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Please ignore these hypocritical Canucks fans.

Happy for Shink getting his first nhl goal, he has all the potential to be a top 6 offensive winger, too bad our GM value's ahl grinders more. :(

Yeah but Granlunds not a Grinder hes some sort of 12th or 13th forward depth ungrinding guy who floats around. I really dont see his purpose

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
My friend's brother played against this guy in peewee and the kid showed up for the tournament with gold skates. crazy

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
What was benning thinking :laugh:

Weisbrod has his ear, Weisbrod loves Granlund and Benning didn't like Shinkaruk..so here we are.

And the only defence people have is "well we got Baertschi!"

So apparently Benning apologists believe that we just owed them one after one of the very few decent trades Benning has made. lol....

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
This gotta be the worse post ive read on this forum it was his FIRST nhl goal of course is happy! Just like all his teammates for him too! I said from the day i joined this forum about Shincky the Canucks got a GEM and since Benning took power here knew he was gonna do the dummest thing ever to trade Shincky and look it happend traded him for nothing and now when given the proper chance hes a PPG player. Soso angry with Benning theres no way Canucks win this trade :rant:

I have not followed him closely, but BG has and if there is one constant it is Hunter's enthusiasm. It is a positive, not a negative.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Granlund is and will be a good NHL player and thought of by most Flames fans as more of a top 9 guy and short term top 6 player. Unfortunately he'll always be compared to Shinkaruk now

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Granlund has actually been pretty fair for the Canucks...can play either centre or wing, and shows pretty good vision on the ice....Canucks are in decent shape for left-wingers, but you can never have too much centre depth....probably a deal that makes sense for both teams.

We really aren't though. Boeser and Virtanen are RW, all we have on LW is Baertschi and hopefully Rodin.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Love it. Every time he scores we inch closer and closer to the moment of Jim Benning's firing.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
He has looked good tonight. Surprisingly physical tonight.

Him labelled as a soft player is a misconception.

The player I like to compare him to most is Brendan Gallagher, so that should give you an idea of how he can be a very tenacious player who is not at all afraid of going to the dirty areas to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad