LW Anthony Mantha - Val d'Or, QMJHL (2013, 20th overall, Detroit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perd Hapley

Ya Heard With Perd
Jul 9, 2010
Apparently I'm not executing my argument properly, which is that the Wings will not give Mantha an NHL roster spot based on his Q domination as a 19 year old.

He has good speed, a great shot, and is a beast in terms of his physicality relative to his peers. I also think the "laziness/inconsistency" problem is overblown. But does he have dominant numbers against men? Is he useful in any respect if he isn't on a top two skilled line? Is he the speediest guy on the ice such that he's a force at the NHL level? Is his shot so good that Brett Hull would quiver? No, no, no and no.

Look - I love Mantha's game. I can't remember the last time I was this stoked about a Red Wings prospect. I could honestly see him as the next Corey Perry. But I'm not looking at his career as a fan of hockey; I'm looking at his career as a fan of the Wings. And without a complete game such that he is a clear fit on a 3rd NHL at worst, then it will be a surefire no-go with respect to him seeing steady NHL time next year.

I agree that while he is the most promising prospect we've had in probably a decade, there's no way he starts the season in Detroit next year. He could very well have a great preseason but I still think Holland starts him in GR to get him acclimated to the pro game and work on his two way game like he always does. Then he'll have to outplay Pulkkinen and possibly Jurco to be the first call up on the wing so while I do think he will get a few NHL games next year but it won't be full time with how overloaded we'll be with forwards especially if Alfie comes back.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Who is saying that the Wings are going to give Mantha a roster spot because of his domination in the Q? You are arguing with no one.

The person who I responded to was you, Captain Bob.

So how do people see Mantha's career track playing out? One year in the AHL then on to Detroit? Two years in the AHL? Can he make the wings next year? Quite the log jam in front of him

Anchor Town*

So I can't make a statement in my discussion? Your prompt insinuated that playing for the Wings next season was a possibility. I say it isn't...and you clutch yourself as though I've defamed your eldest son and golden boy.

Why do you feel the need to state something over and over that everyone already agrees upon (or at least no one disagrees with).

Let's just move on

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
I don't really think Mantha will skip the AHL, it will honestly be better long-term if he has at least a year where he can adjust his game to a pro-style and learn at least the fundamentals of pro-level defense. Getting bigger/more muscle mass certainly would not hurt as well.

Things will get very interesting in 2016, however. I definitely think that if he continues his offensive dominance, there will be few reasons for Kenny Holland to keep him in the AHL.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I do not think that you know what the term literally means

Literally; Adverb:

in a literal sense or manner : exactly <took the remark literally> <was literally insane>

So yes, literally none of them scored 50. I don't think you know what it means.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Literally; Adverb:

in a literal sense or manner : exactly <took the remark literally> <was literally insane>

So yes, literally none of them scored 50. I don't think you know what it means.

I absolutely HATE the term or reference to "pace"

you either did something or you didnt, its black and white, absolutely no gray

you either did score 50 goals or you didnt

you either won the cup or you didnt

you either got married or you didnt

"pace" is the arguement of the weak.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I agree that while he is the most promising prospect we've had in probably a decade, there's no way he starts the season in Detroit next year. He could very well have a great preseason but I still think Holland starts him in GR to get him acclimated to the pro game and work on his two way game like he always does. Then he'll have to outplay Pulkkinen and possibly Jurco to be the first call up on the wing so while I do think he will get a few NHL games next year but it won't be full time with how overloaded we'll be with forwards especially if Alfie comes back.

I think Jurco might be up for good this season, I can't imagine he's not a full-time Wing next season. Even Pulkkinen has an outside chance.

In addition to Mantha; Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok and maybe Janmark will all be due for some NHL call-ups next season. So they might do what they did with Almquist, Ouellet and Marchenko this season and rotate them.

Last edited:

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I think Jurco might be up for good this season, I can't imagine he's not a full-time Wing next season. Even Pulkkinen has an outside chance.

In addition to Mantha, Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok and maybe Janmark will all be due for some NHL call-ups next season. So they might do what they did with Almquist, Ouellet and Marchenko this season and rotate them.

I could see that happening. I could also see Mantha getting some PP time in the pre-season and forcing Detroit to make a tough choice.

Overall, I think Pulkkinen will beat him out though.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I absolutely HATE the term or reference to "pace"

you either did something or you didnt, its black and white, absolutely no gray

you either did score 50 goals or you didnt

you either won the cup or you didnt

you either got married or you didnt

"pace" is the arguement of the weak.

Mmm, right. Only absolute values matter, which means that Rod Brind'Amour was better offensively than Pat LaFontaine, since he had more career points. Complete disregard for scoring pace is the argument of the ignorant.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Mmm, right. Only absolute values matter, which means that Rod Brind'Amour was better offensively than Pat LaFontaine, since he had more career points. Complete disregard for scoring pace is the argument of the ignorant.

scoring pace is a weak arguement, who decides how many games the pace is based on, what happens if two people cant agree on how many games to base it on, who is right and who is wrong?

absolute values are what matter

gretzky was the best player of all time because his actual production says so, case closed

people only using pace when they're on the wrong side of the arguement, because they dont have the facts to support their rationale so they use stat based semantics to appear right

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I could see that happening. I could also see Mantha getting some PP time in the pre-season and forcing Detroit to make a tough choice.

Overall, I think Pulkkinen will beat him out though.

I agree, Pulkkinen's done great. Even if Mantha is equal to or a bit better than Pulkkinen, Pulkkinen takes it because the Wings are big on paying dues and he's earned it.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
scoring pace is a weak arguement, who decides how many games the pace is based on, what happens if two people cant agree on how many games to base it on, who is right and who is wrong?

absolute values are what matter

gretzky was the best player of all time because his actual production says so, case closed

people only using pace when they're on the wrong side of the arguement, because they dont have the facts to support their rationale so they use stat based semantics to appear right

What about Nyquist? He's on pace for a 60 point season. Is he not playing like a 60 point guy?

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
What about Nyquist? He's on pace for a 60 point season. Is he not playing like a 60 point guy?

Right now, he's playing like more than a 60 point guy (17 points in his last 13 games) but I'm still gunna wait and see how long he can sustain this pace...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

he isnt a 60 pt guy untill he actually records 60 pts

its such a lame arguement

nyquist could play the first 20 games each year of the next 5 years and put up a "90pt pace" then get hurt all those years and never play more then 20 games, is he a 90pt player like malkin? I dont think so

pace is a subjective term for those on the losing side of an argument to use to prop themselves up

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
he isnt a 60 pt guy untill he actually records 60 pts

its such a lame arguement

nyquist could play the first 20 games each year of the next 5 years and put up a "90pt pace" then get hurt all those years and never play more then 20 games, is he a 90pt player like malkin? I dont think so

pace is a subjective term for those on the losing side of an argument to use to prop themselves up

Nyquist came up and more or less hit the ground running and hasn't looked back. If he's on a hot streak, it's the longest hot streak I've ever seen.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Nyquist came up and more or less hit the ground running and hasn't looked back. If he's on a hot streak, it's the longest hot streak I've ever seen.

This really isn't true. He hit the ground running for the first five games or so, then went invisible for about ten, then has lit the world on fire for about 13 games. If he can stay even close to how he's playing now he'll be a stud though.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

guys should ahve to prove themselves before fans try and prove them

let nyquist actually record 60 points plus in the nhl before we talk of him as a 60pt player

nyquist is a potential 60pt player and thats about it

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
Pure goal scorers are a rare commodity.
Dionne and Yzerman both played immediately in the NHL after being drafted by the Wings and note though Drouin has struggled physically and got sent down, Mackinnon has flourished with the young Avs as I predict Mantha will do the same with the Wings next season if they choose to give him a chance at the NHL right away instead of the AHL to "rippen."
Does anyone really think Mantha will struggle to score playing with Pav, Z and hopefully Alfie, lol, come on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad