LW Alexander Holtz - (2020, 7th, NJD)

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Could he make the roster? Or is his skating and overall intensity still going to be too much of an issue
I think he will make the roster.

Coach, GM, and beat writers are all complimenting his improved skating and work rate.

First preseason game was last night and both appear to be true so I don’t think they’ll send him down if he continues to show he worked and improved on what they asked him to.

Reactions: hockeyprospects9

BavelPure

Aug 24, 2005
So-so game for him last night. Definitely looks faster and more engaged away from the puck. He forced a few passes into the other team on entry, and seemed more of a passenger on his line than someone carrying the puck, that said he was getting open and finding lanes, while also looking decent on the PP.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
He had a good defensive game, granted it was against a Flyers team that looked like they didn't want to be there.

Its easy to ignore miscues and unforced turnovers if the same guy is covering the defensive rotations and hustling back to break up plays.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Holtz has been a completely different player than last year. He is faster and hustles more. Lately he has gotten more ice time and more production. Two points last night and four points in his last five games.

Nice catch. Devils have handled his development well; allowing him to mature both tactically and physically while gradually giving him a larger role.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
idk if I'd call it gradually giving him a larger role, yet. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Ruff puts him back on the 4th line when Meier is back.
Which for a guy who doesn't turn 22 until January would be fine; provided he also sees power play time.

In the past New Jersey gave players like Bratt, Zacha, Severson and even Jack Hughes far more ice time than they were prepared to handle (both physically and tactically) at a young age. The result was injury and inconsistent play.

This Devils team has far more depth and can afford to develop players like Holtz, Nemec and some of their other high-end prospects properly.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
idk if I'd call it gradually giving him a larger role, yet. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Ruff puts him back on the 4th line when Meier is back.
He has been money with McLeod. I think that combo sticks for a while, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Timo joins that line when he’s back.

Reactions: My3Sons

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
Just saw him in a proposal. Not the most amazing statistics. Kind of thought he would be part of that all fire all shooter approach the devils were taking. Is he just finding his feet still or is he lacking something that will get him past the hump. I was wondering about his foot speed and decision making. I don't really mean speed by the way. Just transitions.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Just saw him in a proposal. Not the most amazing statistics. Kind of thought he would be part of that all fire all shooter approach the devils were taking. Is he just finding his feet still or is he lacking something that will get him past the hump. I was wondering about his foot speed and decision making. I don't really mean speed by the way. Just transitions.
Well, his coach seemingly hates him with a passion. If you think Holtz deserves more ice time you don't, according to Ruff, watch the game very well.

Reactions: gsharpe

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
Well, his coach seemingly hates him with a passion. If you think Holtz deserves more ice time you don't, according to Ruff, watch the game very well.
I really don't think a line of Holtz-Hughes-Toffoli makes sense (3 shooters that dont bring much without the puck) and you probably don't want him dragging down the Hischier line on the defensive end. Result... he's been moving around in the bottom 6, without really a real role to fill. He'll probably take Toffoli's spot next year.

Reactions: gsharpe

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I really don't think a line of Holtz-Hughes-Toffoli makes sense (3 shooters that dont bring much without the puck) and you probably don't want him dragging down the Hischier line on the defensive end. Result... he's been moving around in the bottom 6, without really a real role to fill. He'll probably take Toffoli's spot next year.
No, he probably won't. As long as Ruff is around, that is. He's not filling in when there's (multiple) injuries. When the top 9 lines aren't working 5v5 he's not somebody they bring into the mix. And jeez, you really hate Hischier's defense that bad?

Reactions: hockeyprospects9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad