LW Aaron Obobaifo - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2025 Draft)

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
He’s a top 5 talent but definitely fell a bit because of risk of him going NCAA. It’s too early to predict their NHL futures IMO. So much more development to be had
From what I analyzed, he was not at all top 5 because the players I mentioned are well ahead of him and there are plenty of other players I didn't know and I don't think you know them.

I also had Harsanyi in front of him in my preview.

I think you have a rating problem with this player.

Cole Temple had been mentioned as a great player from Manitoba. Cameron Schmidt has significantly more attractive 2021-22 sports credentials.

WHL Scouts know the players better than we do. In general, players who take the NCAA route are selected much lower still.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
From what I analyzed, he was not at all top 5 because the players I mentioned are well ahead of him and there are plenty of other players I didn't know and I don't think you know them.

I also had Harsanyi in front of him in my preview.

I think you have a rating problem with this player.

Cole Temple had been mentioned as a great player from Manitoba. Cameron Schmidt has significantly more attractive 2021-22 sports credentials.

WHL Scouts know the players better than we do. In general, players who take the NCAA route are selected much lower still.

We see this frequently in CHL drafts where a player drops down the draft because of potential NCAA Commitments.
Michael Hage is one from the OHL this happened to this year, Carson Rehkopf is one from the OHL that happened last year too.

Didn’t think I needed to explain this to someone that knows as much about potential hockey prospects as you.

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019

necessarily if you rely on a twitter message from a guy who says the same thing as you to prove you right...

To have a real opinion, you have to know all the players and know the context perfectly. No one here seemed to know Jackson Smith. If he is caught in front of a player like Cole Reschny who exploded the counters, there must be a sporting reason.

Liam Kilfoil is probably better than Obobaifo. He is still not selected. He must have NCAA plans.

Sportingly Obobaifo was only 7th among the players I knew. I don't know 1 3 of the 22 players selected in the first round. Even a guy like Savin Virk that I saw in the 1st round is only 46th because the density of talent in Canada West far exceeds my knowledge base.

Last edited:

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
necessarily if you rely on a twitter message from a guy who says the same thing as you to prove you right...

To have a real opinion, you have to know all the players and know the context perfectly. No one here seemed to know Jackson Smith. If he is caught in front of a player like Cole Reschny who exploded the counters, there must be a sporting reason.

Liam Kilfoil is probably better than Obobaifo. He is still not selected. He must have NCAA plans.

Sportingly Obobaifo was only 7th among the players I knew. I don't know the third. Even a guy like Savin Virk that I saw in the 1st round is not because the density of talent in Canada West far exceeds my knowledge base.
Kilfoil is from New Brunswick. He is eligible for the QMJHL draft next year.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He’s a top 5 talent but definitely fell a bit because of risk of him going NCAA. It’s too early to predict their NHL futures IMO. So much more development to be had
He's not he was expected to maybe sneak into the top 10 but was expected in the 8-14 range so fell a tad but not a whole lote. Similar to Levis with Kamloops few years back who had slight college rumours. Good player and likely bright future but he isn't this slam dunk prospect

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
He's not he was expected to maybe sneak into the top 10 but was expected in the 8-14 range so fell a tad but not a whole lote. Similar to Levis with Kamloops few years back who had slight college rumours. Good player and likely bright future but he isn't this slam dunk prospect
The guy selected just before him has an impressive profile with no efficient partner around him.

McCann was taken in 23 he is a very good player. Kibblewhite, Savin are selected further this is also the case.

There is a Canada West talent density. Last year he stood out statistically in a few games but very few players had played.

I regularly shook the statistical table this year to follow his evolution, he was top 3 at the beginning. Then he steadily declined ; then 13th with an average which is falling.

I had 1 McKenna 2 Reschny 3 Schmidt 4 Hamilton 5 Sharpe 6 Harsanyi 7 Obobaifo 8 McCann 9 Kibblewhite 10 Savin

But I knew there was a lack of defenders, that I had no idea there were plenty of good players. For a player like Reschny who stood out very well, I knew that his place as No. 2 was not a certainty because there was the possibility of missing out on another player. Which it was. I didn't know Jackson Smith at all.

Yet very few will play will have a real career in the NHL. Compared to usual trends, the WHL produces 7 regular NHL players per year. And it's not always the highest-selected players. I watched the 2007 list is funny.

The world elite is still something else.

Not even sure that Smith and Reschny have an NHL career.

I bounced initially because someone was saying Obobaifo could be top 5 in the 2025 NHL Draft.

The chances are practically nil. The level is so high. On average there are only 2 Canadians who succeed. For the 2022 draft, there may only be one.

That's why it's difficult to say top 5 WHL or NHL if we do not represent the density of talent well.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don’t think anybody knows how the freaking 2025 draft is going to unfold at this point. I think the overwhelming point here is Obobaifo’s WHL draft stock was definitely affected by him playing at SSM in the States and having a very clear interest in an NCAA route. And more clearly - that a bantam draft selection order is in no way, shape or form representative of the order in which somebody (perhaps foolishly) trying to project way down the road into a professional NHL career would rank these kids who are barely teenagers.

What I do know is Obobaifo is very highly rated in the US Prep circuit, has very intriguing physical tools for a kid his age and is clearly a young player worth keeping an eye on - for both potential NCAA and WHL routes.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Looks old for his age. Reminds me of Freddy Adu and another kid I played soccer with that went pro at a young age but clearly wasn't the age they claimed when we played. All born in Africa, just curious if there is any chance he's actually older.

• Haha
Reactions: covfefe

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Looks old for his age. Reminds me of Freddy Adu and another kid I played soccer with that went pro at a young age but clearly wasn't the age they claimed when we played. All born in Africa, just curious if there is any chance he's actually older.
Freddy Adu was easily 5 years older and made millions of dollars on a lie when he was only an amateur level player.

Basile Boli was 6 years older in a proven way (an Ivorian born in 1961 was in the same class as him before Boli left for France). At 16 he already had the level of the best and at 27 he was already physically finished.

Eritrean cyclists are generally 4 years older. This can be seen in their traits and their evolution.

But Obobaifo would surprise me. Plus he was born in Calgary. These things only happen when the player is from countries that don't keep their census.

Kaliyev had suffered from the same rumor launched by a journalist.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That would be quite a coup. I know they don't exactly have the history of a London or Halifax but I would assume the Giants would have some allure as a "big city, bright lights" CHL club?

The Giants play out of Langley which is a suburb of Vancouver and not bright lights big city but very family oriented.

They are a solid organization and if they were able to lure both prospects it would indeed be a coup for them.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

He was born in Calgary, they don’t amend birth certificates in Canada just because you’ve asked nicely.

Reactions: wetcoast

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
He was born in Calgary, they don’t amend birth certificates in Canada just because you’ve asked nicely.
You have now edited your post which said they moved when he was young, which is why I was under the impression he was born in Africa.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Mid-season review.

Selected at the height of his level. Very far from the best 2007 WHL, even more so on a global scale.

ScoutyMcScoutface

Oct 12, 2023
Mid-season review.

Selected at the height of his level. Very far from the best 2007 WHL, even more so on a global scale.
The giants haven't been fun to play for this year, the body language of the draft eligible and D-1 guys is noticeably different from the start of the year.

I still think Obobaifo and Schmidt are top 60 guys next year, both with first round potential.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
The giants haven't been fun to play for this year, the body language of the draft eligible and D-1 guys is noticeably different from the start of the year.

I still think Obobaifo and Schmidt are top 60 guys next year, both with first round potential.
Very skeptical.

Schmidt has a good level but his size limits the possibilities - he will have to be really dominant as a small winger

Obobaifo will have to seriously increase its production. He was not selected among the 44 Canadians at the U17 tournament

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Very skeptical.

Schmidt has a good level but his size limits the possibilities - he will have to be really dominant as a small winger
Schmidt is trending as a first rounder even if he is small he is very fast and has great scoring instincts.

Obobaifo will have to seriously increase its production. He was not selected among the 44 Canadians at the U17 tournament
He is a project for sure and we will see if he takes a step this season.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Schmidt is trending as a first rounder even if he is small he is very fast and has great scoring instincts.

He is a project for sure and we will see if he takes a step this season.
Schmidt : The small winger profile does not make it to the 1st round unless there is exceptional talent. He has no chance.

Obobaifo : I was talking to a guy who said he had the Top 5 NHL Draft profile. This was clearly not the case by far.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Schmidt : The small winger profile does not make it to the 1st round unless there is exceptional talent. He has no chance.

Obobaifo : I was talking to a guy who said he had the Top 5 NHL Draft profile. This was clearly not the case by far.
Who said top-5 NHL draft?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
His instinctive goal scoring skills and speed make him a potential first rounder but sure bigger guys will be drafted before him but will be worse picks.

Agreed he has really dropped of the prospect and needs to make up alot for it to happen.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Who said top-5 NHL draft?
Maybe a single over enthusiastic scout or family friend a while back but then again the same one guy saying it could have been said about literally dozens of players along the way to draft day and very early like 3 or 4 years out.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
His instinctive goal scoring skills and speed make him a potential first rounder but sure bigger guys will be drafted before him but will be worse picks.

Agreed he has really dropped of the prospect and needs to make up alot for it to happen.

Small scorers in the 1st round, apart from Caufield, I don't have any in mind. And Caufield was seen as an exceptional scorer in 2018-19. Schmidt is not at that point. The other element that leads me to put him aside is the number of Canadian forwards who will be in front of him : Misa, Martone, McQueen, Desnoyers, Guite, Spence, O'Reilly, Gavin. And we do not yet know the European prospects who will reveal themselves later.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad