Speculation: Luongo Trade Discussions Thread - All

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveV*

Gillis sounds really really bitter! What that means is he just lost his best chance to move Luongo, the Leafs called his bluff and now he's stuck with him or trade him for nada. Enjoy, I predict this goalie situation blows up in the Canucks face! Lightweight.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Gillis sounds really really bitter! What that means is he just lost his best chance to move Luongo, the Leafs called his bluff and now he's stuck with him or trade him for nada. Enjoy, I predict this goalie situation blows up in the Canucks face! Lightweight.

If Gillis throws in a prospect like Frank Corrado, I'd be ok with taking Luongo and his contract for future considerations. Maybe see how well Corrado comes along in the next year or two,

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Must be in a nice position to be in, having a recent Olympic gold medalist and Hart trophy finalist sitting around as an extra.

While Leafs goalies combined don't have 100 games NHL experience. This is what they call a bluff alright. ;)

Not sure who is going to get the last laugh here though, because if Leafs stumble out of the gate the price for Luongo will go up even higher.

Jeffler

See You At Game 3
Dec 7, 2006
North York
theleafsnation.com
Must be in a nice position to be in, having a recent Olympic gold medalist and Hart trophy finalist sitting around as an extra.

While Leafs goalies combined don't have 100 games NHL experience.

Not sure who is going to get the last laugh here.

Not the Canucks. Those accolades mean nothing if you aren't giving them minutes.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON

While Leafs goalies combined don't have 100 games NHL experience.

Not sure who is going to get the last laugh here.

we are. because we'll play the kids, let them get experience, and earn another top pick and a chance at a star C.

isn't that your recommendation too? or do you always go against what the leafs do?

having two great goalies is not as great as it sounds. there's personalities involved here and it can get toxic in a hurry. every time Schneider has a tough game, what do you think the media will be asking the entire team about?

SteveV*

While Leafs goalies combined don't have 100 games NHL experience. This is what they call a bluff alright. ;)

Not sure who is going to get the last laugh here though, because if Leafs stumble out of the gate the price for Luongo will go up even higher.

If its such a lovely position why does he sound so BITTER and PETTY? It's a distraction, Luongo doesn't want to be there and with every loss the controversy will only distract further.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

We're going with the kids, we hopefully get a high draft pick. We can't expect to win as well. C'mon now, expect the losses but hope some kids play brilliantly. We won't panic because we know we're going to lose.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Oh well, I say go into this season with what you got. Don't do well? Thats okay, atleast we have potential for a top pick.

Let Luongo sit on the bench, the more they play the waiting game in Vancouver, the more tense people get and the more drama stirs.

This up coming off season wont be any different than this current off season I imagine. They will still want to be-rid Lu of his duties and crazy contract, so they will settle with under market value, simple as that. If they don't? Its gonna hurt in the long run as re-signing players just got that much harder.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We're going with the kids, we hopefully get a high draft pick. We can't expect to win as well. C'mon now, expect the losses but hope some kids play brilliantly. We won't panic because we know we're going to lose.

Looking at the lineup I hope nobody seriously thinks they actually want to try and run for the playoffs this year. I hope. For a pick sure thats what this is provided big moves dont take place. C and G

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
You Vancouver folks can point fun at Toronto as much as you would like. Last time I checked the Canucks havent done anything lately either. How many Cups have you guys won?

The Bopsie twins have done nothing for you guys, and time is running out on your team not ours. The way I see it is we can wait, we have been since 67 so whats the difference for another 2-3 years. One this for certain is that the Leafs should play the kids the next couple of seasons and build. If we win sooner and develop sooner then great. if not we have anf get great prospects to build with.

The bluff has been played to a tee. Who has 7 million of dead cap space on the end of the bench...not us last I heard. And to boot we still have everythng to build with.

Sorry Canuck fans, take the loss on your asset or go look someplace else. Stop whining.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Isn't envy a sin?

K19*

I thought you were about playing the kids and building through the draft? Now you're whining about Luongo? You can't decide which side of the fence you're on.

SteveV*

You Vancouver folks can point fun at Toronto as much as you would like. Last time I checked the Canucks havent done anything lately either. How many Cups have you guys won?

The Bopsie twins have done nothing for you guys, and time is running out on your team not ours. The way I see it is we can wait, we have been since 67 so whats the difference for another 2-3 years. One this for certain is that the Leafs should play the kids the next couple of seasons and build. If we win sooner and develop sooner then great. if not we have anf get great prospects to build with.

The bluff has been played to a tee. Who has 7 million of dead cap space on the end of the bench...not us last I heard. And to boot we still have everythng to build with.

Sorry Canuck fans, take the loss on your asset or go look someplace else. Stop whining.

The only lesson Leafs fans can take from Canucks fans is how to torch police cars and loot and destroy their downtowns. ZERO cups, just two goofs dressed up in green Saran Wrap! So jealous :sarcasm:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I thought you were about playing the kids and building through the draft? Now you're whining about Luongo? You can't decide which side of the fence you're on.
It was a strange comment, caught me by surprise.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON

he was for playing the kids until the leafs decided to play the kids

some people are about complaining about every direction the franchise takes

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I am, and I like how we're positioned in that regard, wink wink nudge nudge. ;)

I was simply suggesting that Vancouver is not in a bad position having an asset of Luongo's value to be bargaining with.

We just don't seem to be in a position here to be throwing stones, glass houses and all.

Last edited:

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
http://canucksarmy.com/2013/1/18/gi...cks-have-asked-for-too-much-in-a-luongo-trade

Gillis is a clown. Have fun losing edler because nobody wants to give you anything for an overpaid player. It shows this guy is completely out of touch if he thinks the leafs have puppets in the media.

The interesting thing is that Gillis is accusing the Toronto media of what is frequently true of the Vancouver Media (and of Jason Botchford in particular, ironically) namely that they are easily manipulated by the home team.

That Gillis appears on the Canucks home station, 1040, to speak to the cheerleading Jason Botchford, to accuse Toronto media of being manipulated by the local team, is deserving of an irony alert of near Chernobyl proportions.

Note: I live in Vancouver.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009

True statement, however...

If Loungo's price tag is so reasonable how come one of the other 28 teams in this league have not traded for him?

The problem is Gillis conveniently forgets the length of the contract he signed. If Loungo was signed to a non cap circumventing contract.. the trade return would be huge. But only so many teams:

a) need goal-tending help,
b) think they can compete in the next 3 to 5 years (ie trade for aging goaltender),
c) afford the cap hit AFTER Loungo hits. Ie take on a bad contract.

I think a good comparable is Heatley, except he was younger. Big contract, limited destinations. His return was a young 2nd liner with bad knees, serviceable player with bad Cap hit (Cheechoo) and a 2nd round pick.

Personally I don't want the Leafs to trade for him... but a fair return is someone like Mac, Connolly and a 2nd.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I am, and I like how we're positioned in that regard, wink wink nudge nudge. ;)

I was simply suggesting that Vancouver is not in a bad position having an asset of Luongo's value to be bargaining with.

I'm surprised how many people think Lungo and his contract have value. Luongo does, his contract more than negates it. Similar to how we took Lombardi's contract, Nashville gave us Franson. So it was worth Franson for Nashville to save on what they owed Lombardi. Is Gardiner worth a 2nd? Now what if I tell you Gardiner is making 12 million a year for the next 8 years. All of a sudden Gardiner is worth ZIP. to another team. It's like yeah and what else are you going to do for us to take that contract.

Darylman

Aug 1, 2009
Luongo has started notoriously slow for, what, 5 or 6 years now? Should be hilarious if he is relegated to backup duties and posts subpar stats out of the gate.

Whatever strengths Gillis might have as a GM, this is probably the worst thing he could have possibly done. He sounds like a petulant child and the odds of his gamble working are not as high as them not.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Gillis signed this guy to an anchor of a contract and now he is whining that no one wants to give up significant value for him.

Yes, Mike, its the Toronto media's fault that you gave him that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad