Luke Witkowski... 2 years $750K a year

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I still like Sproul. Haven't given up on him just yet.

Obviously I don't care if Witkowski goes on waivers.
Problem is by giving him a 2 year deal there is ZERO chance he will ever be claimed on waivers.
Don't need another 27 year old on the blueline in Grand Rapids... but whatever I think Blashill will actually play this scrub.

At under 900K who cares if he is claimed or unclaimed on waivers?

It is just Ilitch's money. Dude is tough, he plays both forward and D and because he is under 900K there are absolutely no cap implications associated with him.

There are things to be fired up about, this isn't one of them. Holland did minimal damage if any today. He got a couple more bodies, but nothing to impact the trajectory.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
1 year doesn't hurt, but we do have a ton of Defenseman in the organization now.

DETROIT (9)
Kronwall
Dekeyser
Daley
Green
Ericsson
Jensen
Ouellet
Sproul
Witkowski

Grand Rapids (8)
McIlrath
Lashoff
Hicketts
Rousso
Hronek
Renouf
Saarijarvi
McCarron (One way AHL only contract)

No way we carry 9 defenseman in NHL.
That leaves Sproul as potential waiver fodder IMO. And if he clears, wow what a logjam in Grand Rapids.

True, but Sproul had an off season procedure and will likely start LTIR. I'll be amazed if those 9 D are ever fit at the same time and if they are, Witkowski gets waived.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
witkowski's deal is for 2 years, not one

Makes it easier to bury him. I can't see anyone claiming him when he gets put on waivers. Holland proving once again how much he enjoys playing GM for Grand Rapids. Holland is overpaying Witkowski for two years in order to build out the Griffins. He'll get his full salary regardless of where he plays. Fine with me I guess.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Oh Yeah Witchowski is great! A true NHL professional. Clearly leagues above McIlrath.

McIlrath is younger, bigger, tougher and was a former 1st round pick.
NHL
43GP- 3G, 2A and +5 (Age25)

Witkowski
NHL
54GP - 0G, 4A and -1 (Age 27)

Listen they are both nothing more than stay at home 6th/7th guys. Nobody is obsessed thanks.
Might aswell keep the guy who is actually an intimidator. Not some fake college tough guys, who will fight, but scares nobody.

Exactly my point. We already had McIlrath. Why sign the exact same player twice? (most teams want nothing to do with these type D men)
Michigan man and Blashill's boy. gross.

I'm guessing that this signing has something to do with their "tougher to play against" philosophy which they spoke of during and after the draft. If Witko plays forward in our bottom 6 I could see some use for him, and if McIlrath wants to make the team I think he needs to really make a case for himself during the pre-season games. It sounds like he had himself a great playoffs for GR; hopefully he can turn a corner and make our squad as a regular, would love a kid with his size and nastiness.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Both deals seem pointless. But whatever.

At least 2 of Sproul, E and Kronwall must be starting on LTIR.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Both deals seem pointless. But whatever.

At least 2 of Sproul, E and Kronwall must be starting on LTIR.

Well they are pointless in the sense that they won't get us any closer to a playoff spot, but Witkowski will make us tougher to play against and hopefully Dailey will serve as another mentor for our young kids, especially if Kronwall's leadership is removed from the line up on a regular basis.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Everyone wants us to tank and everyone gets upset when they don't like a signing. A cheap one like this isn't going to hurt the team financially and it probably isn't going to help us get better, so why all the outrage?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Everyone wants us to tank and everyone gets upset when they don't like a signing.

This is really THE FUNNIEST thing when reading this board.

People just can't decide is it good or bad to be bad/good. :laugh:

But I'm laughing my ass off. Good entertainment. :popcorn::popcorn:

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
You are going to appreciate the leadership and play style Witkowski will bring far more than you think. Yzerman wants Cupcakes in the Tampa Bay organization, which is why he allows players like Tanner Richard and Witkowski to find employment elsewhere. Too bad he has forgotten his glory years in Detroit with Probert, Kocur, and McCarty covering his back. In Tampa they have Brown and Paquette to serve as the designated punching bags.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
You are going to appreciate the leadership and play style Witkowski will bring far more than you think. Yzerman wants Cupcakes in the Tampa Bay organization, which is why he allows players like Tanner Richard and Witkowski to find employment elsewhere. Too bad he has forgotten his glory years in Detroit with Probert, Kocur, and McCarty covering his back. In Tampa they have Brown and Paquette to serve as the designated punching bags.

So because he doesn't want a fringe nhler he only wants cupcakes. Allright

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hopefully this means e is ltir retired

Signing Witkowski means that he could be the utility player, 14th forward + 8th defenceman at same time.

Travelling with the team and probably sees 10 games during a season. Plays in an injury logjam. Jumps in if injuries happen at road trips. Because calling a prospect on them is always almost impossible.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I love the obsession with toughness going on with the organization right now. I'd rather beat teams by scaring them then outplaying them

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Everyone wants us to tank and everyone gets upset when they don't like a signing. A cheap one like this isn't going to hurt the team financially and it probably isn't going to help us get better, so why all the outrage?

Because deals like this are bad on both fronts. If he plays 40 games that's 40 games a svechnikov or Bertuzzi could get

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I love the obsession with toughness going on with the organization right now. I'd rather beat teams by scaring them then outplaying them

Holland is not turning the Wings into a goon squad. Signing 1 or 2 guys that can fight and play tough does not turn the Wings into Neanderthals. There is no one else on the roster that fills the role Witowski or McIllrath can. Hasn't been years.

The Wings do have a decent amount of talent, that given some space and a little confidence that they're not going to be head-hunted on a daily basis, could win us some games.

I know the majority of people around here bury their heads behind their analytics charts and decry any type of team toughness but people playing and managing in the NHL think otherwise. The Wings have been small and soft for over 5 years now, and their record has consistently declined right along with their lack of muscle. Maybe try something different?

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Because deals like this are bad on both fronts. If he plays 40 games that's 40 games a svechnikov or Bertuzzi could get

Witkowski is not here to fill the same role either Bert or Svechnikov will be filling. You can look at bums like Helm and Sheahan for where their icetime is being eaten up.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Great beard

picture.php

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
saw on twitter this guy is likely going to play forward, not defense.

EDIT:

Helene St. Jamesâ€ÂVerified account @HeleneStJames 9h9 hours ago
More
Red Wings also sign Luke Witkowski for 1 yr, $750K for toughness (ask Anthony Mantha). More likely to play F than D.

EDIT #2: see it's already been mentioned, just saw everyone talking about the defense so didn't know if people saw it.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I don't mind this signing. He's a tough guy that we can scratch half the time

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: