Tribute Luke Schenn Appreciation Thread

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He was a top 3 dman for us in the playoffs - Rielly #1, Schenn and Brodie arguable for 2/3, and all of them clearly outplayed the rest. He’s a great fit with Rielly, still a physical beast, and has settled into being a very reliable player all over the ice.

Really hope we bring him back, would be very happy with 2-3 years, $2-3 mil AAV.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He was a top 3 dman for us in the playoffs - Rielly #1, Schenn and Brodie arguable for 2/3, and all of them clearly outplayed the rest. He’s a great fit with Rielly, still a physical beast, and has settled into being a very reliable player all over the ice.

Really hope we bring him back, would be very happy with 2-3 years, $2-3 mil AAV.

Schenn has made an average of $800k per year for the last 5 years. Even with a nice raise, I don’t think it’ll cost us anywhere near that to get him re-signed.

40BayStreet

Feb 3, 2011
Toronto
I love Schenn, currently my favourite player on the team. I was praying we would trade up for him at the draft and when we did I was ecstatic. He played amazing that rookie season and continued to play well for us. I was so upset when we traded him for JVR. The trade worked out fairly well for the Leafs. But who knows how the team would have done over the past 7 years if they had Schenn patrolling the blue line for them and protecting the core four that whole time. Maybe they grow into more confident players and are able to assert themselves a little more in the playoffs with the confidence of having Schenn backing them up. Maybe Rielly becomes a better defenseman with having Luke Schenn as a partner for his whole career as opposed to the garbage we have put him with over his entire career.
Great to have Schenn back for the nostalgia alone last season, but he really made a positive impact for this team. For my money he was the most important player in the playoffs for us.
I really hope we resign him to a multi year deal.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Shenn was better than I expected with the Leafs this season. I'd be happy if they extended him.

If there's talk of trade protection, and that's what THN said, then that's a possibility. Sounds like off-ice stability has been something he's been looking for for a while. He apparently wanted to stay in VAN, so it makes sense he'll want to stick around somewhere rather than be a suitcase TDL guy again.

Not sure what number he's asking for. But if he wants some kind of trade/move clause, he'd better take a bit of a discount to do it. I'd be thrilled to have him for 2 or 3 years on a good deal.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
I'd split the difference on years and cash to give him certainly and help us. So let's say four years at 1.2 with a no moment clause. He gets paid for a few years and gets to settle. I think that's fair. It's an easy contract to bury or eat...and we get what we need for mo for a few years...easy peasy

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It'd be great to re-sign him for the same term at ~2x the AAV from his soon-to-be expired contract with VAN, although I fear those parameters could be slightly short on term and more so on the AAV.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
What if TOR front loads his contract and gives him security?

1st year 2.5 m
2nd year 2.25
3rd year 1.75

?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Like I said up thread, I thought Schenn was great in the playoffs and he plays a style that Leafs fans love and all that.. but they have to be careful about not overpaying here because in a vacuum Schenn is actually not that good and will likely be worse in an couple of years.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Seems like a match made in heaven. Front loaded and fully SB'd 1.2x4 with full NTC (can't give an NMC so he can go to the Marlies.

We can use him on the Leafs now, and he'll be a great Marlie mentor when he loses a step.
Has 3 young boys at home, this gives him rock solid stability to unpack the suitcases and spend 4 years in the same city, with the financial equivalent of a 1.55x 2 upfront
1.8 (1m SB), 1.3 (500k SB), 900k, 800k

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd split the difference on years and cash to give him certainly and help us. So let's say four years at 1.2 with a no moment clause. He gets paid for a few years and gets to settle. I think that's fair. It's an easy contract to bury or eat...and we get what we need for mo for a few years...easy peasy

Came here to post this

Reactions: Menzinger

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Seems like a match made in heaven. Front loaded and fully SB'd 1.2x4 with full NTC (can't give an NMC so he can go to the Marlies.

We can use him on the Leafs now, and he'll be a great Marlie mentor when he loses a step.
Has 3 young boys at home, this gives him rock solid stability to unpack the suitcases and spend 4 years in the same city.
1.8 (1m SB), 1.3 (500k SB), 900k, 800k

This is the way.

Reactions: shortfuze

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad