Friedman: Luke Glendening to Toronto “Very Real”

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Friedman on his 31 Thoughts podcast says Glendening to the Leafs is “very real” and he won’t be surprised to see that deal happen.

Says he expects some sort of contract and draft pick to go the other way. Soshnikov once was offered he believed before going to STL.

Mentioned Leafs and Wings still have a couple rounds to go before agreeing on a draft pick

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
But why? is he even that much of an upgrade? from what ive seen his posession stats are terrible but that is due to him starting somehting like 75% of plays in the defensive end. Can someone give me a quick and dirty analysis of this guy please?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
But why? is he even that much of an upgrade? from what ive seen his posession stats are terrible but that is due to him starting somehting like 75% of plays in the defensive end. Can someone give me a quick and dirty analysis of this guy please?
classic babcock kind of player that he usually has on his roster. defensive minded C that matches up against opposing top lines. good FO% dont expect more than 15-20 pts/82 games. also tends to get overplayed a bit

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I've been saying this in the other Glendening to Toronto thread. Leaf fans will see his corsi and be all fired up about how bad he is (not saying you, just in general), some guys were saying hes not even an NHL calibre player but hes a great hockey player in his role. There isnt a lot of fourth line C's that I would take over him. In Toronto they have the depth to play him in his role, Detroit doesnt but to a playoff team hes useful. Babcock used to match him up against top lines like Crosby and he would come out pretty even. He wouldnt win the corsi battle ut he wouldnt give up a tonne of high quality scoring chances either. Hes a top 3, elite faceoff guy this year which in itself is useful but hes also really good defensively, a bit of a pest and will chip in offensively. If you dig deeper into his advanced stats instead of just corsi, youll see his usage impacts that a bit, but hes usually great at shot suppression and doesnt give up as many "high danger" chances as you would think given his corsi. Basically meaning he doesnt take a lot of shots but he doesnt give up many dangerous ones either.

Babcock would trust him matched up against a first or second line of another playoff team, freeing up Matthews or Kadri. I highly doubt Moore would see the ice in the playoffs. Hes a definite upgrade at 4C, and the Leafs wouldnt have to keep shopping around for one the next couple years.

I think Martin and a 2nd is a good deal

Yep I agree. Kapanen was obviously never going to happen (and it seems like he was never asked for), and a second might be too rich for the Leafs unless the wings give a bit of cap relief by taking on Martin. By the time the wings are competitive, his 2.5 will be off the books and maybe he'll sign cheap with his childhood team. As a wings fan and the wings sucking I would be completely ok with watching a team that has Martin and Witkowski out there

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
optional 3rd round , don't forget it will help Red wings to lose extra couple games , good for rebuild

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'd only be okay with it if it's Martin + something worse than a 3rd.

Not sure why we're giving Babcock another one favourite to overplay....please don't, he's not very good.

Reactions: hotpaws

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
classic babcock kind of player that he usually has on his roster. defensive minded C that matches up against opposing top lines. good FO% dont expect more than 15-20 pts/82 games. also tends to get overplayed a bit

LOL perfect, sounds exactly like what we already have in Leo! However, Luke's better at the dot and Leo's better with his body.

Not seeing all the fuss with this guy; I don't care that Babs likes him, would rather have Letestu if given the choice.

But meh, Babs gets what he wants - most of the time.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
"Tie goes to the vet" Prepare to hear this a lot.

lmao this was from Oct 2017:

Mike Babcock: "If it's close, tie goes to the veteran" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Babcock: Because your job, even though you’re the fourth-line center, is to play against the best centers in the league every night because you’re penalty killing. You’ve got to win faceoffs. You’ve got to know where to stand. You have to be safe. What I’ve learned over time is that in training camp, you go, “Isn’t that kid great? Isn’t that kid great? Isn’t that kid great?” And then he’s minus. Ten games in, he’s -10, and you wonder why you have him there. Over time, you just hedge your bets. If the kid is ready, he’s ready. If it’s close, why not: Tie goes to the veteran? You can still continue to develop. We expect Aaltonen to play in the NHL. That isn’t a question at all. It’s just a question of when.

So let's just keep waiting on Miro then - perfectly fine with me. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad