Prospect Info: Lukas Sutter - ELC, AHL only, or do they let him go?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He could sign a PTO after he goes undrafted, but I am not sure he'd want to stick with the org that kicked him to the curb.

I think its more like he drove himself to the curb and he just hopes someone stops by to give him a jump-start.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I said sign to a AHL contract. I'm sure he's better than SOMEONE there. I hope to see him live next week. Could he sign with the ice caps and play in the ECHL or how does that work?

Doubtful. Look at Brassard, who was better in his junior career but has been completely unable to impact the AHL roster, often a healthy scratch.

If Sutter is not signed by June 1st, 2014 he will head back into the draft. If undrafted he will become UFA.

Yes he can sign with IceCaps at that point (In fact even if he is drafted by another team the IceCaps COULD sign him, but the drafting team would hold his rights for 2 years so the Jets could not sign him and the other team could sign him away at any time). John Albert would be an example of a guy who was drafted by the Jets (Thrashers) who then became UFA played for the IceCaps and eventually worked his way back into the NHL organization with a contract with the Jets this off-season with an ELC after two years as an UFA.

As to your question, yes if the IceCaps sign him he can be assigned to ECHL. Many players do this yearly, for example Jets prospect (until June 1, 2014) Yasin Cisse is signed by the IceCaps and is currently assigned to the Ontario Reign.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
So do we get another 2nd round pick if we don't sign him? Didn't we get that with Zach Yuen? Seems like a good deal to me.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So do we get another 2nd round pick if we don't sign him? Didn't we get that with Zach Yuen? Seems like a good deal to me.

No and no. We get nothing for Sutter if he is unsigned, we got nothing for Yuen.

Compensatory picks are ONLY for unsigned first round picks who were tended a bonafide offer but refused. If this happens the team receives the same pick in the 2nd round when the player is lost. For example when Leveille did not sign with the Jets they received pick #29 in the second round of 2013 (#59 G Eric Comrie) since Leveille was the 29th pick of the 2008 draft who did not sign.

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
No and no. We get nothing for Sutter if he is unsigned, we got nothing for Yuen.

Compensatory picks are ONLY for unsigned first round picks who were tended a bonafide offer but refused. If this happens the team receives the same pick in the 2nd round when the player is lost. For example when Leveille did not sign with the Jets they received pick #29 in the second round of 2013 (#59 G Eric Comrie) since Leveille was the 29th pick of the 2008 draft who did not sign.

Thank you Dultan Leveille!

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

Thank you Dultan Leveille!

No kidding, hey? I actually never heard about this... what possible motivation could a player as unimpressive as dalton leveille turn down a professional hockey contract from an NHL team? Was he too good for us, or was he doing us a favour, planning to retire from pretending he was a hockey player?

Whenever we have a first round bust in the future, I say we torture him mentally and physically before tendering a contract offer so that they refuse to sign, getting us more and more compensation picks. So far so good for Chevy in the first round, but hey, nobody bats 1.000!

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
It's a 2 way street.

Sutter would be a fool to sign with the Jets. I doubt we'll see any good draft picks hit this team for another 3-4 years. Consider our GM would rather use the waiver wire than AHL callups for FT slots.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
It's a 2 way street.

Sutter would be a fool to sign with the Jets. I doubt we'll see any good draft picks hit this team for another 3-4 years. Consider our GM would rather use the waiver wire than AHL callups for FT slots.

Have you ever thought that maybe the waiver wire pick ups are better than what's in the AHL

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's a 2 way street.

IMO if any NHL organization offers Sutter money to play hockey at any level he should jump at it.

And if none of our top draft picks make this team in the next 3-4 years we are so ****** it really doesn't matter what else happens. If none of Lowry, Kosmo, Morrissey, Petan etc and a likely top 10 pick this year make the team by the time they are starting to move into their mid 20's our future is bleak at best.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Have you ever thought that maybe the waiver wire pick ups are better than what's in the AHL

Yep. Look at what was brought up this year. Did you like any of them?

C John Albert
C Eric O'Dell
C Patrice Cormier
D Zach Redmond
D Ben Chiarot
D Julian Melchiori

I will say I don't think O'dell got much of a shot since he never got much of an opportunity off the 4th line. He is an offensive guy. It was so bad they had to get Ellerby off waivers.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
No kidding, hey? I actually never heard about this... what possible motivation could a player as unimpressive as dalton leveille turn down a professional hockey contract from an NHL team? Was he too good for us, or was he doing us a favour, planning to retire from pretending he was a hockey player?

Whenever we have a first round bust in the future, I say we torture him mentally and physically before tendering a contract offer so that they refuse to sign, getting us more and more compensation picks. So far so good for Chevy in the first round, but hey, nobody bats 1.000!

"Bonafide offer" can mean almost anything. It could pay the player next to nothing (not even enough to live on) in the AHL. It could have been offered the day after the draft and as a college player that would have voided his scholarship. There's was of teams offering a "Bonafide offer" without actually offering a real signable contract.

For example, Sutter himself has already been given a "Bonafide Offer". Technically for junior players you only hold their rights for one year. In order to protect them for the second year the player must be given a "Bonafide Offer". So almost every player always receives a "Bonafide Offer". It means nothing in reality.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Yep. Look at what was brought up this year. Did you like any of them?

C John Albert
C Eric O'Dell
C Patrice Cormier
D Zach Redmond
D Ben Chiarot
D Julian Melchiori

Only Redmond here appears to be alright and hopefully O'Dell if he gets another shot but the others are more AHL material.

I would also be open to the idea of signing Sutter as a potential 4th liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad