Rumor: Lucic + Russell for Neal and Frolik

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
The latest trade rumour I’ve heard regarding Milan Lucic….Lucic and Kris Russell to Calgary for James Neal and Michael Frolik. A four-player trade between divisional rivals is rare, especially if it was Edmonton and Calgary. If it does happen, and I’m admittedly skeptical, it would show how lacking in emotion the rivalry is.

Gregor is legit btw.

Monday Musings: Scouting Staff

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Wow that would be pretty good for the oilers. I dont know if its an age or slump thing but neal is great as the triggerman with a good passer. This trade gives the oilers two very serviceable top-9 players.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What the hell? I sure as hell hope that this isn't the case. We better be getting a 1st as part of that if that's the case.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yikes that's bad for Calgary.

Neal for Lucic seems pretty mehh move, 32y Neal isn't the biggest threat out there.

Adding extra year on Russell is weak though, for Oilers would mean losing even more depth from already thin blueline.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
giphy.gif

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That is a horrible deal for Calgary even if we needed a defenseman and didn't need RW help but considering that Russell couldn't crack our line-up and without Frolik our RW depth goes down to nothing it makes absolute no sense at all.

The reason to move Frolik is to get cap space this does not do that at all. I don't think that Gregor throws out crap but it really makes zero sense at all for Calgary.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
On some level it makes sense if the Oilers retain like 50% on Lucic.

Oilers use up their cap space but at least they get back 2 wingers, improving their top 9 especially if Neal bounces back. Holland missed out on FA wingers.

Flames free up the space to sign Tkachuk, Bennett, Mangiapane and Rittich. What they have right now isn't enough, with this deal they'd have ~15M to do it. Lucic brings some toughness to their 4th line and @ 3M isn't overpaid to the same degree Neal is if he continues to play bad. Russell's deal is up in 2 years so that's easy to manage. I guess they would then send down Valimaki and Kylington to play in the minors full time and ice a veteran dcore + Andersson for a year.

What makes it possible is the Flames need to free up space. Neal would then determine who "wins" the trade. Holland goes f*** it and throws Pulju there too just to get it done. If Neal is the wild card for potentially being a good add for the Oilers (or the complete opposite), Pulju would give that same factor to the Flames as well.

Although.. you'd think there's easier way for Calgary to free up the space they need. On the other hand, it would just show how difficult it is to free up cap space at this time of the year these days, with so few teams in a position to take back big salary. Have to get creative.

I hope it happens just so we can have a shake up and stop talking about Lucic trades.

:edmonton

James Neal (5.750M - 4 years)
Michael Frolik (4.300M - 1 year)

:flames

Milan Lucic (@50% retained 3.000M - 4 years - NMC)
Kris Russell (4.000M - 2 years - NMC)
Jesse Puljujarvi (RFA)
+ pick ?

Here's how it would look:

Oilers - Oilers-Flames swap - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Flames - Oilers-Flames swap - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:
Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events