Line Combos: Lucic - McDavid - Draisaitl

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
If we're forced to watch Lucic saddled to McDavid and Draisaitl and giving him top powerplay minutes and force-feeding him pucks to try to turn this contract/career around.

Can we at least be honest with ourselves and admit we've gone from, the swarm:

swarm.gif

To, the fish tank?:

N5NtwlL.jpg

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013

The kid = McDavid.

In my opinion the last two games have just been ridiculous, with the amount of time Lucic is getting on the top line and PP - just constantly getting fed pucks to try to get him back on track and save this abomination of a contract.

Just poking fun at it, couldn't get the image out of my head.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Aberg - McDavid - Draisaitl

try this

Well, yeah, pretty much anything would be better.

They aren't playing Lucic there because it's the best option, they're playing him there because they need him to succeed - even if it means putting him with two elite players and giving him endless minutes and opportunities he doesn't deserve, and isn't equipped to capitalize on.

It's clear what the situation is, it's just funny to watch.

FP_SquarePeg.jpg

Reactions: ivanlwan

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Well, yeah, pretty much anything would be better.

They aren't playing Lucic there because it's the best option, they're playing him there because they need him to succeed - even if it means putting him with two elite players and giving him endless minutes and opportunities he doesn't deserve, and isn't equipped to capitalize on.

It's clear what the situation is, it's just funny to watch.

FP_SquarePeg.jpg

When you force a player that's struggling onto a top offensive role, a player who's having a bad streak and is under the microscope, its not going to help. I don't care if you are a rookie or a veteran, that would make me play worse. Especially if i am the one contributing to slowing down the top line.

Not only would i feel like crap, but my confidence would go down even further, to top it off, being forced on top pp minutes with one of the worst special teams in the league, yikes, get me out of here. You slowly gain a players confidence by playing him with linemates and people that match his skill set better and teammates he can keep up with. You can't put him on a speed demon line. You need a crash and bang line whos not even there to score but to get the team going.

How is that simple fundamental coaching lesson not getting through to a bench boss making 3 million dollars a year? Koala coaches this team like most kids play EA NHL games. No line matching, and force feeding your favorite useless players on the top line just to get crazy stats cause its hilarious.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
When you force a player that's struggling onto a top offensive role, a player who's having a bad streak and is under the microscope, its not going to help. I don't care if you are a rookie or a veteran, that would make me play worse. Especially if i am the one contributing to slowing down the top line.

Not only would i feel like crap, but my confidence would go down even further, to top it off, being forced on top pp minutes with one of the worst special teams in the league, yikes, get me out of here. You slowly gain a players confidence by playing him with linemates and people that match his skill set better and teammates he can keep up with. You can't put him on a speed demon line. You need a crash and bang line whos not even there to score but to get the team going.

How is that simple fundamental coaching lesson not getting through to a bench boss making 3 million dollars a year? Koala coaches this team like most kids play EA NHL games. No line matching, and force feeding your favorite useless players on the top line just to get crazy stats cause its hilarious.

^ This guy gets it.

I just find it funny watching a guy who barely looks like he can play in the league, hasn't scored in 25+ games, but gets 20 million dollars worth of linemates and this kind of TOI.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing on him so much, as just making light of how much they are trying to save their ass from this contract - every opportunity to succeed, when if he was a 2-3M player he'd be in Kassian's role at best. 5 minutes of PP time for a guy that seemingly can't lift the puck over 6 inches anymore.

vSmOeE5.png

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
^ This guy gets it.

I just find it funny watching a guy who barely looks like he can play in the league, hasn't scored in 25+ games, but gets 20 million dollars worth of linemates and this kind of TOI.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing on him so much, as just making light of how much they are trying to save their ass from this contract - every opportunity to succeed, when if he was a 2-3M player he'd be in Kassian's role at best. 5 minutes of PP time for a guy that seemingly can't lift the puck over 6 inches anymore.

vSmOeE5.png

How is it that countless fans, people in the media local and otherwise, question this nonsense and nothing gets changed? despite the horrific season, horrific mistakes, they keep playing the same god damn lineup.

Lucic is a complementary player. He never focused on scoring, but scoring happened as a result of what hes doing out there in terms of physical play or getting in front of the net where he is hard to move. Hes never been a first line player and should never be treated as such. Let him flourish in a secondary role where hes not the main focus and criticism will decline and his game will improve with less warts showing.

You feed the old slow guy prime minutes, you feed the old slow guy who's 35 and not resigning here, but not your young under contract players that need development time?

What in the holy Eakins is this?

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I'm pretty disappointed I didn't get any credit for putting Biosteel in the picture. That and the Oilers logo, pucks as fish food, were a few hours of work!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mez

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Cagullia McDavid Aberg
Cammalleri Draisaitl Slepy
Lucic RNH Puliarvi
Kharia Strome Pakarinen

Literally any of those RWers can go up or down the lineup while the centers and LWers can stay together and develop chemistry.

All of our centers driving thier own line for the rest of the year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Cagullia McDavid Aberg
Cammalleri Draisaitl Slepy
Lucic RNH Puliarvi
Kharia Strome Pakarinen

Literally any of those RWers can go up or down the lineup while the centers and LWers can stay together and develop chemistry.

All of our centers driving thier own line for the rest of the year.
I like that set up, and for me the biggest issue with the Lucic-McDavid-Drai line is that Drai is again put on McDavid's wing. Nicholson just told us how we have these two great centers, and he wasn't talking about RNH

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Lucic is the slowest and worst player on the team. A 4th liner paid like a 1st liner. and they still play him with the best line? What kind of crap is that? Nothing personal, but it's best to rid of him for next year.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Lucic - McDavid - Draisaitl line's GF% is only 45.5, which kind of means you waste two great players as the opposing teams score more than they do. That stat is affected by Lucic's difficulties, but I still don't know how much sense this makes.

Lucic - McDavid - Puljujarvi's GF% is 66.7, so I'm hoping to see that again before the end of the season. Then they could try Drai and Nuge together, letting Strome run the 3rd line.

Reactions: PulYou

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
What irks me a lot about this line is MCD would be leading the league if he didnt have to carry Lucic and two opposing defenders around with him the whole game.

Rnh-cmd-jesse
Lucic-Drai-shlep
Cammy-strome-auburg
Cajulla-karah-kassian

Try it One f***ing game! Please. Oh and f*** you Tmac and Co.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
^ This guy gets it.

Forget lifting the puck over 6 inches, he can't even pass 6 inches it seems

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
It's just another thinly veiled Lucic bashing thread.

I posted it, so if you want to know the intent - ask.

It's not about how bad Lucic is playing, we all know he's bad. It's about them being so scared of completely blowing that contract, years before they expected it to be terrible - by putting him with McDavid and Drai and giving him ridiculous minutes and opportunities.

It's talking about the situation the GM and coach are putting the team in, not bashing Lucic directly.

Feel free not to read it.

Reactions: McDaddy

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Saw somewhere he might be sick and miss the game? Does that mean McDavid isn't allowed to play either? Or do we just play 4v5 for McDavid's line with no LW?

Reactions: PulYou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad