Speculation: Luca Sbisa

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Luca Sbisa has 2 more years on his contract where he makes 3.6 million dollars per year.

He is a 26 year old left hand shooting bottom pairing defenseman. Some will say he's an AHL defenseman which is true when he plays at his worst but he is an passable 5-6 at his best.

Some people think he might get waived. If that happens do you think he will get claimed? Which teams would be most likely to claim him?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Luca Sbisa has 2 more years on his contract where he makes 3.6 million dollars per year.

He is a 26 year old left hand shooting bottom pairing defenseman. Some will say he's an AHL defenseman which is true when he plays at his worst but he is an passable 5-6 at his best.

Some people think he might get waived. If that happens do you think he will get claimed? Which teams would be most likely to claim him?

He gets waived nobody would claim him.

I expect him to be bought on next June. Don't see Vegas touching him.

He has no trade value either. Why trade for him when you could sign Carle or Seidenberg for free and at likely less money.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
He gets waived nobody would claim him.

I expect him to be bought on next June. Don't see Vegas touching him.

He has no trade value either. Why trade for him when you could sign Carle or Seidenberg for free and at likely less money.

Because it could get rid of Kane for Buffalo ;)

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
I wonder if ownership would be upset with Benning for paying Sbisa 3.6 million to sit in the pressbox or if Benning and Willie will just keep him in the lineup no matter how he plays.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I really hope Benning is fired this season/at the end of the season and the next GM buys out his contract. Such a waste of cap space for a terrible d-man.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I really hope Benning is fired this season/at the end of the season and the next GM buys out his contract. Such a waste of cap space for a terrible d-man.

https://www.nhl.com/player/luca-sbisa-8474579

41 gp, 2g 6a and a +5. he has shown improvement. Hard to say if he would be worse, better, or the same in stats if played a full season. But he is getting better. He just can't be the defenseman that moves the puck up ice in his pairing. Once that is taken away, he looks like a much better defenseman than he gets credit for(still not better than a 5/6)

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Benning thinks he's a great player so he won't get waived.

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver
His contract could be decent if Canucks retained half. 1.8 Million for a gritty 3rd line defender.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Pretty simple keeping sbisa at 3.6m and seeing Hamhuis sign for 3.75m which we all knew he would have taken less to stay just looks bad.

Hamhuis is hands down a better D than sbisa, age aside. I think it was a big mistake letting that guy walk and keeping others around.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
He won't get claimed, but it doesn't look like the Nucks will be at the salary cap and nice to have around for the expansion draft

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Benning thinks he's a great player so he won't get waived.

It's clear he's currently not in the plans, though. Tryamkin and Larsen will likely be the bottom pair it looks like (based on comments about Larsen getting shot to run the PP). That leaves Sbisa/Biega/Pedan as back ups.

I think Benning is probably trying to move him for an equivalent forward contract (overpaid, physical third liner for overpaid, physical defenseman).

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
As a Canucks fan that has watched him too much, he's a 6/7 at best. Management thinks he's tough and gritty because of his size but other than the occasion semi-big hit, he's soft as butter. He can play the PK pretty well surprisingly but pretty useless 5 on 5 i'd say... I will forever hate him because he's basically the indirect reason we didn't sign Hamhuis...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad