Rumor: Lubo on the Move?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just saw this on twitter. I know he isn't verified, but he links to an IIHF article. The article seems to be from the 1st, but not sure if it's just a retread because a lot of the answers are the same that we previously heard. Just wanted to link it in case it wasn't and they were still working on it.

Looks like Lubo might be in the plans for our depth defenseman in case Pulock isn't ready. Can't say I'd hate that if it's a 1 year deal.

Last edited:

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
It would be great to have some more D depth. As it stands, even with a rookie at #6, our dropoff from #6 to #7 is huge.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It would be great to have some more D depth. As it stands, even with a rookie at #6, our dropoff from #6 to #7 is huge.

If Lubo returns for one more go, that means that Strait is a goner. The Isles seem committed to start integrating Pulock onto the team. I don't think the Isles will be carrying 8 d-men with 14 forwards so Strait will be put on waivers with hopes that he isn't claimed. That stashes him at Bridgeport and available for injury insurance, I would think that Mayfield would be in the alert 5 position over him too.

Net result, we never see Strait again unless we're getting killed by injuries.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007

Radek 2.0. Old guy no one else wants, signed for "insurance", plays big minutes because CDH is made of glass and the kids aren't ready. Maintain the status quo of a team that got knocked out in the first round. I just don't get it at all.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
If Lubo returns for one more go, that means that Strait is a goner. The Isles seem committed to start integrating Pulock onto the team. I don't think the Isles will be carrying 8 d-men with 14 forwards so Strait will be put on waivers with hopes that he isn't claimed. That stashes him at Bridgeport and available for injury insurance, I would think that Mayfield would be in the alert 5 position over him too.

No? I think they will, and someone will get "injured" right before the season starts.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Radek 2.0. Old guy no one else wants, signed for "insurance", plays big minutes because CDH is made of glass and the kids aren't ready. Maintain the status quo of a team that got knocked out in the first round. I just don't get it at all.

Yeah, I came to post this, but nevermind.

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
How are they going to integrate Pulock if you have
Boychuk Leddy
Hammer deHann
Vis Hickey

Who sits in the press box?

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

What I'd like to see:

Leddy - Boychuk
UFA - Hamonic
CdH - Hickey

Vis
Strait

Strait to IR and call up Pulock or Mayfield if our top-6 gets injured. If Pulock or Mayfield can't hack send them down and plug in Vis.

What I'll probably see:

Leddy - Boychuk
CdH - Hamonic
Hickey - Pulock

Vis
Strait

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Boychuk Leddy
Hammer deHann
Vis Hickey

You gotta think Vis would sit in that situation. There is always the possibility somebody gets hurt too but if Vis comes back I think it will be for a #7 role.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Boychuk Leddy
Hammer deHann
Vis Hickey

In the interview linked above, Vis wants to play 50 or 60 games realistically. So that means he knows he isn't as much of an everyday player at this point. Play him 50 and Pulock the other 30. Someone will be injured at some point, so Pulock can get more games then.

Keep Lubo from back to back games and rotate him out every now and again.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Snow said he wouldn't bring him back a week ago. Time to move on.

This was from 2 days ago and Lubo says Snow offered him a contract and they are negotiating.

The situation we were in a week ago is different from the one we're in today.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
You gotta think Vis would sit in that situation. There is always the possibility somebody gets hurt too but if Vis comes back I think it will be for a #7 role.

The idea that Lubomir Visnovsky, if healthy, would sit for Thomas Hickey is mind boggling to me. Actually there isnt an adjective strong enough to describe it. Only a team where Thomas Hickey and Brian Strait are looked at as top 4-5 dmen would that happen. What SHOULD happen on a normally-run NHL team is:
Leddy-Boychuck
De Haan- Hamonic
Visnovsky - Pulock (or Hickey, only if Pulock proves to not be ready)

Now dont get me wrong, I would much rather bring in a younger player like Ehrhoff or Oduya than Lubo, but if Lubo ultimately is resigned instead and IF, I know it is a BIG IF, but if he is healthy, there is no way he should be healthy scratched for Thomas freakin Hickey on an NHL team looking to win. 90% of the time it is Lubo covering up for Hickey's brain lapses and mistakes. You would think it was vice versa based on what many of you ridiculously think.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The idea that Lubomir Visnovsky, if healthy, would sit for Thomas Hickey is mind boggling to me. Actually there isnt an adjective strong enough to describe it. Only a team where Thomas Hickey and Brian Strait are looked at as top 4-5 dmen would that happen. What SHOULD happen on a normally-run NHL team is:
Leddy-Boychuck
De Haan- Hamonic
Visnovsky - Pulock (or Hickey, only if Pulock proves to not be ready)

Now dont get me wrong, I would much rather bring in a younger player like Ehrhoff or Oduya than Lubo, but if Lubo ultimately is resigned instead and IF, I know it is a BIG IF, but if he is healthy, there is no way he should be healthy scratched for Thomas freakin Hickey on an NHL team looking to win. 90% of the time it is Lubo covering up for Hickey's brain lapses and mistakes. You would think it was vice versa based on what many of you ridiculously think.

Oh I agree with you that Vis is better than Hickey, I was just saying what I think the team would do. Hickey will get his playing time once Vis goes down 15 games into the season. I am not worried about that.

BroadwayJay*

What I'd like to see:

Leddy - Boychuk
UFA - Hamonic
CdH - Hickey

Vis
Strait

Strait to IR and call up Pulock or Mayfield if our top-6 gets injured. If Pulock or Mayfield can't hack send them down and plug in Vis.

What I'll probably see:

Leddy - Boychuk
CdH - Hamonic
Hickey - Pulock

Vis
Strait

I read this as follows:

What I'd like to see:

Strait.

Why do you do this to me? Why?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I'd be happy with that. He played well when he was on the ice last year

Yeah, both games.

He had a handful or 2 of very good standout games. That's it.
I remember he was to be our power play quarterback when we first got him.
120 something games later- maybe 5 goals and 20 power play points total.
If we stand pat, we are moving backwards.
I want Pulock or mayfield to win a spot. WIN a spot.
I want Strait to not play, however I don't see him going down to BST.
I want my freakin wife to stop nagging.
What happened to Czuchman? Has he learned to play since he was up a couple years ago.
Let Lubo go.
It's time

crasherino

May 9, 2013
there's no chance they cut strait. but at least lubo would hopefully push him down the depth chart.

As long as Strait is the #8 dman I'm fine with Lubo coming back. There's no way he can play a full season so Pulock will be getting a minimum of 35 games in and that's only if everyone else plays a full 82. More likely - with our dcorp - Pulock will get 60+ and Mayfield will get NHL experience as well as Hamonic and CdH are rarely healthy the whole season.

Come playoff time, the CS can figure it out based on who's healthy and what they've done during the season.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
ill be pretty disappointed if we go into the season with the same d corps. I don't have any faith in Lubo, hickey, strait or cdh for that matter. I figured an upgrade on the backend was a no brainer. Maybe Garth gets creative again and makes a move, but i doubt it. I think we are going to roll with the same guys, plus pullock. Maybe mayfield.

Why does Garth even want this guy? He has long term IR all over him. This would be reverting back to the problem, not correcting it. We need more size on the backend.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
What I'll probably see:

Leddy - Boychuk
CdH - Hamonic
Hickey - Pulock

Vis
Strait

Yep. Jay's going to owe me a lot of dinners if the team keeps getting knocked out in the first round. And with that line-up, I would anticipate plenty of time to enjoy baseball in May and June next year. If baseball wasn't horribly boring.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Why does Garth even want this guy?

My guess is if the Islanders are interested they don't want to get tied down to 3-4 year deals for 4M+(Franson, Ehrhoff or Oduya) and rather just sign somebody to a smaller 1 year deal(and the picking out there for this kind of deal are slim, so might as go with the guy you at least know what you have)

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010

:handclap: Please...please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad