Loved One With Depression

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
My brother is a school teacher. He makes a lot of money. He's got a nice home and wife. Yet, something is missing in his life. He's never happy. He always cries. Never feels confident.

Has anyone ever had a loved one suffer from depression? Were they able to come out the other side? If so, what helped them?

I want to help him. I just don't have the answers.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
My brother is a school teacher. He makes a lot of money. He's got a nice home and wife. Yet, something is missing in his life. He's never happy. He always cries. Never feels confident.

Has anyone ever had a loved one suffer from depression? Were they able to come out the other side? If so, what helped them?

I want to help him. I just don't have the answers.

Besides "talking" to professionals, it is possible that he does suffer from a chemical imbalance. Some drugs may help. I'm not talking about the drugs that dull your senses, but maybe drugs that straightens out the brain waves in effect.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Chlonazapam & Ritoline ( Sp?). He's trying everything he can. But, sometimes he can't even get out of bed.
I meant psychiatric help as much as drugs, but I'd imagine if he's taken/taking multiple things that it's serious enough there's been a referral somewhere.

Aside from him continuing to see a doctor and try to manage it in the long term there's not much else you and the rest of his family/friends can do other than what you're already doing. Just make sure you continue to support him when it's good and bad.

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
For some it's a never ending battle day by day. Anyone who says stupid shit like man up or other garbage like that have never had a loved one with this condition.

Reactions: TNT87

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
He must learn to dance, only then will he feel free. What kind of music does this lad favour?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
He must learn to dance, only then will he feel free. What kind of music does this lad favour?

70's and 80's music. He likes Springsteen songs the most.

He is very fearful of being too old
( He's 35). His wife wants kids and he doesn't. He misses his childhood and having freedom. These are all things he tells me. It's very sad

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
i think you should encourage him to seek out professional assistance, it could be as simple as taking a pill every morning, amazing

This.

I've suffered with anxiety and depression since I was a teenager. About 5 years ago I was sick with major anxiety, panic attacks, depression, etc. I couldn't sleep, barely ate/or even could eat without puking, I was anxious literally all the time, etc. I saw many doctors, went to the ER a bunch of times and yet nobody could figure out why was wrong. This went on for 9 months straight.

I finally was prescribed and then started taking an anti-depressant about 4 years ago. Not only did I get myself back again but I feel a lot better. Sure I'll still have bad days but nothing like the hell I was in 5 years ago.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
For some it's a never ending battle day by day. Anyone who says stupid **** like man up or other garbage like that have never had a loved one with this condition.

Agreed.

Anyone who says "snap out of it" or "grow a pair" etc. deserves to be falcon punched in the throat repeatedly.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
70's and 80's music. He likes Springsteen songs the most.

He is very fearful of being too old
( He's 35). His wife wants kids and he doesn't. He misses his childhood and having freedom. These are all things he tells me. It's very sad
Well dancing will bring him back to that feeling of being a child. Even better if he can work up the skills an confidence to do it in public.

Does he skate? Like on ice?

Springsteen though, I don't know how much swing there is in that. But the more he can incorporate his entire body and being into it, the healthier he will feel both physically and mentally.

What is his physical shape like?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Well dancing will bring him back to that feeling of being a child. Even better if he can work up the skills an confidence to do it in public.

Does he skate? Like on ice?

Springsteen though, I don't know how much swing there is in that. But the more he can incorporate his entire body and being into it, the healthier he will feel both physically and mentally.

What is his physical shape like?

He's 220, 6 3 , and very built. I doubt many would mess with him in a bar. He eats only healthy ( Proteins, pasta, and water) meals.

He is going on a trip to Israel in September for vacation. He plans on seeing as much as possible & helping to build a school.

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
This.

I've suffered with anxiety and depression since I was a teenager. About 5 years ago I was sick with major anxiety, panic attacks, depression, etc. I couldn't sleep, barely ate/or even could eat without puking, I was anxious literally all the time, etc. I saw many doctors, went to the ER a bunch of times and yet nobody could figure out why was wrong. This went on for 9 months straight.

I finally was prescribed and then started taking an anti-depressant about 4 years ago. Not only did I get myself back again but I feel a lot better. Sure I'll still have bad days but nothing like the hell I was in 5 years ago.

No wonder you come off as such a miserable person.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
He's 220, 6 3 , and very built. I doubt many would mess with him in a bar. He eats only healthy ( Proteins, pasta, and water) meals.

He is going on a trip to Israel in September for vacation. He plans on seeing as much as possible & helping to build a school.
That's good, although no one really messes with dancers anyways. They usually just watch in awe at the magnificence.

This is all anecdotal btw, I'd agree with the others who say to consult a professional, but dancing helped me a lot. Praise Shiva.

Hope the trip to Israel helps. If you don't mind me asking, is your brother Jewish?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad