Loui Eriksson vs David Backes

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Different players for different roles. The Backes signing reminds me of the Scatchard signing of MOC way back, only I think he will play out at least 4 years of that deal and produce in a middle 6 role on the B's.

A guy they've coveted to years and finally go thte chance to pounce and they did.

Eriksson is a better winger (Top line B+/A- guy).
Backes is a better center (Middle 6, B guy, as a top line winger B-).

They went for gumption / mojo / grit / presence over pure skill (and Eriksson isn't a "soft" player in my book as he goes to the net more than anyone on the B's last year and that's "tougher" than fighting 5 times a year and trying to rock people on the forecheck IMO)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Actually it's very easy to understand what the plan is... it's been explained plenty of times.

You just don't agree with it.

There's a line from a movie I love where a man on trial explains his lawyer's defense strategy:

"He said not to look at the facts, but the meaning behind the facts. And then he said the facts had no meaning."

I wonder if that doesn't reasonate.

Backes, Bergeron, Krejci all +30, suggesting it's win time, while defense screams rebuild.
That's a clear view?
When those D-prospect may be ready and top4 players all of those 3 are past their prime while no one has any idea who's going to replace Chara.

For some reason I couldn't see the explanation made earlier :)

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Backes, Bergeron, Krejci all +30, suggesting it's win time, while defense screams rebuild.
That's a clear view?
When those D-prospect may be ready and top4 players all of those 3 are past their prime while no one has any idea who's going to replace Chara.

When do the playoffs start

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
That's a clear view?

It is if you believe in magical thinking.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
When do the playoffs start

The way it's looking have to wait years for those.

I'd get that comment if they were lacking depth pieces, but the roster has huge issues which are extremely difficult to fix and so far nothing has happened in the 12+ months and Backes/Krejci/Bergeron only give a few year win window.

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

I'd get that comment if they were lacking depth pieces, but the roster has huge issues which are extremely difficult to fix and so far nothing has happened in the 12+ months and Backes/Krejci/Bergeron only give a few year win window.

A capable partner for Chara and they're easily a playoff team.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Besides a top end D-man (preferably a right-shooting one to go alongside Chara), what are the other major issues this team has?

Depth and two way ability up the middle....check
Game-breaking scoring winger (Marchand)...check
Quality wingers up and down the line-up...check
Versatile group of forwards....check
Talented young forwards in the system..check
Talented young D in the system....check
Quailty goaltending...check
Quailty coaching....check

The D, specifically one guy, that's the issue.

Yet you claim they have no plan and tons of major issues that need to be addressed.

I just think you like to complain.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Besides a top end D-man (preferably a right-shooting one to go alongside Chara), what are the other major issues this team has?

Yet you claim they have no plan and tons of major issues that need to be addressed.

Missing 2 proven first line line wingers and 1 second line winger unless 1 is Backes then the 2 way center depth takes a hit and only missing 2 top wingers. The team is loaded with 3rd and 4th line forwards,unless Vatrano makes the jump and Pastrnak stays healthy and keeps the upward trend. Question marks. In my opinion the defense is mediocre,with no high end player.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
If Vesey signs with us, this Backes signing will look much better. If he doesn't, it's still not necessarily a bad deal. I'm a bit worried, but also exited about Backes at the same time.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Missing 2 proven first line line wingers and 1 second line winger unless 1 is Backes then the 2 way center depth takes a hit and only missing 2 top wingers. The team is loaded with 3rd and 4th line forwards,unless Vatrano makes the jump and Pastrnak stays healthy and keeps the upward trend. Question marks. In my opinion the defense is mediocre,with no high end player.

Marchand isn't a 1st line winger?

Pastrnak is a legit 2nd line winger.

If Backes is in the middle, Spooner is on the wing. There's another Top 6 winger.

Belesky, and Vatrano, both Top 9 wingers. Their lacking probably one more Top 9 winger, hopefully one of Hayes/Vesey/Heinen/Griffith/etc. can fill that void. But it's not a major issue.

There is this thing called a salary cap. How many teams are running two "1st line wingers" if someone like Marchand is considered a 2nd line winger?

The days of running a rock solid top 6 are over unless you want 4th line scrubs on the 3rd and 4th lines.

You can only have so many expensive forwards in a cap system. Boston are choosing to invest up the middle with 46/37/42. And one of them can play wing. In Julien's system that is the way to go.

If the above that you mention is the measure of a contender up front, than there aren't many teams who should be consider cup contenders. Your expectations up front aren't even valid in a cap system.

The D is lacking that one top end guy, most on this board will agree. Get him and slot everyone else appropriately and this D isn't that bad, not elite, but middle-of-the-pack and entirely capable.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

If Backes is in the middle, Spooner is on the wing. There's another Top 6 winger.

Belesky, and Vatrano, both Top 9 wingers. Their lacking probably one more Top 9 winger, hopefully one of Hayes/Vesey/Heinen/Griffith/etc. can fill that void. But it's not a major issue.

There is this thing called a salary cap. How many teams are running two "1st line wingers" if someone like Marchand is considered a 2nd line winger?

The days of running a rock solid top 6 are over unless you want 4th line scrubs on the 3rd and 4th lines.

You can only have so many expensive forwards in a cap system. Boston are choosing to invest up the middle with 46/37/42. And one of them can play wing. In Julien's system that is the way to go.

If the above that you mention is the measure of a contender up front, than there aren't many teams who should be consider cup contenders. Your expectations up front aren't even valid in a cap system.

The D is lacking that one top end guy, most on this board will agree. Get him and slot everyone else appropriately and this D isn't that bad, not elite, but middle-of-the-pack and entirely capable.

Do I really need to call the lines 1 and 1A?? The lines have always been spoken as 1 and 1A. I call Berrgy's line the second line. Bergy's line draws first line coverage duty and Krejci's line usually draws the defensive opponent.

Of course Marchand is a first line winger. Okay they are short 3 1st or 1A wingers. Pastrnak,is a 15 goal scorer who was on a 24 goal pace,but right now that's only projection. Proven top 2 line wingers on the team are Marchand and maybe Backes. You talked about depth at forward,well that usually implies that all the top positions are filled with proven top players and there are other proven players ready to fill in. If you have a 15 goal scorer on the top line,that's a weakness,until it's not. Bergy's line had Connolly,Stempniak,Hayes and Loui riding the other wing last year. How many of them are 1 or 1A players? Krejci had Loui,Pastrnak and Beleskey. Loui's gone,Pasta had 15 goals and Beleskey is a third line wing. Because the cap prevents true depth also means teams lack talent and the Bruins are one of them,in the interest of parity. BTW,the Bruins did not make the playoffs last year,have lost Loui,gained Backes (at most a wash),will hopefully have a healthy Krejci,will hopefully have improvement in Pasta and Vatrano and Miller and Morrow and Hayes and Beleskey and Tuukka........

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
A capable partner for Chara and they're easily a playoff team.

a playoff team, and that's depending who they'd lose while acquiring that.
But who's goal is to be a just a playoff team?

That top pairing RD just is a nightmare to add, wouldn't you say? You don't fix it just like that as we have seen over the last 12+ months.
To make them a true contender they need 2 top3 Ds, one of them to replace Chara.
If Backes is a C there's only Marchand who can be said to be a proven 1st line winger, or even a proven top6 winger.

Backes 32, Krejci 30, Bergeron 31 give them a few year window, then you need to start thinking who will replace them, and replacing them wont be that easy again, I doubt the prospect pool has a Bergeron replacement nor do I believe it has a Chara replacement.

It's very difficult to see this path successfull when the lineup/prospect pool are bad fits with each other.

Last edited:

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon

In regard to the bolded I'm not sure there's the degree of unanimity you believe. But nevertheless.

What d-man is out there that will make this bottom 5 (and sinking) defence corps into a middle of the pack group? How long would you guess it will take to acquire this d-man? Will #46, #37, and #42 be at or near their mid-30s when this is accomplished? If it's earlier then I assume there's a trade unless you believe one of our can't miss kids is going to provide Norris level service in the next year or two (which is what I believe it would take to turn this group into a middle-of-the-pack d-corps). So which of #63 or #37 are we trading for this d-man? There goes all that vaunted forward depth and the "win now" portion of our so-called "win now and compete for the future" plan. If not #63 or #37, which players are getting traded for this d-man saviour? How many of our can't miss kids would we have to trade to get this player? And wouldn't that seem to undermine the "compete for the future" aspect of our plan? As plans go this one seems fraught, more based on hopes and prayers than anything solid to grasp on to: Hope a stud d-man comes into free agency and pray that he chooses Boston.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
a playoff team, and that's depending who they'd lose while acquiring that.
But who's goal is to be a just a playoff team?

That top pairing RD just is a nightmare to add, wouldn't you say? You don't fix it just like that as we have seen over the last 12+ months.
To make them a true contender they need 2 top3 Ds, one of them to replace Chara.
If Backes is a C there's only Marchand who can be said to be a proven 1st line winger, or even a proven top6 winger.

Backes 32, Krejci 30, Bergeron 31 give them a few year window, then you need to start thinking who will replace them, and replacing them wont be that easy again, I doubt the prospect pool has a Bergeron replacement nor do I believe it has a Chara replacement.

It's very difficult to see this path successfull when the lineup/prospect pool are bad fits with each other.

i bet a lot doubted Bergeron would ever turn out as good as he has, Marchand, Krejci the same. But yet here we are. You just need to buckle up and enjoy the ride and stop being such a pessimist all the time :laugh: we dont follow sports cos its perfect, all part of the journey!

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
87Jjd.gif

we dont follow sports cos its perfect, all part of the journey!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad