Loui Eriksson vs David Backes

camdon

Oct 24, 2008
Who would you rather have for the duration of their contracts Loui Eriksson or David Backes!

Loui Eriksson 31 years old

GP G A P PM
725 212 292 504 146

Playoffs
36 6 8 14 12

David Backes 32 years old

GP G A P PM
727 206 254 460 969

Playoffs
49 12 15 27 40

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Erikkson. I think he has a few good prime years left in him, he's a 1st line winger. Love Backes, very happy to have him here, but I am really skeptical about his contact. It won't be a problem until year 3 if it does become one, but hopefully he can keep producing at a top 6 pace.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Erikkson. I think he has a few good prime years left in him, he's a 1st line winger. Love Backes, very happy to have him here, but I am really skeptical about his contact. It won't be a problem until year 3 if it does become one, but hopefully he can keep producing at a top 6 pace.

Ditto.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Loui's a top 12 NHL winger. Backes maybe a top 50 center. If Backes plays wing for Krejci and gets 60 points while spelling Spooner occasionally,that's a boost. Loui may be in line for his best NHL season statistically if he lines up with 2 healthy but aging Sedins. In 3-4 years they'll both suck.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Their contracts carry them to the same age.

I'm a huge loui fan, but for this club Backes is the guy.
He's a vocal and hugely respected leader and former captain, he could play loui's roll AND fill in at center to take tough draws and pressure off of krejci and Bergeron, he plays the aggressive physical game they're trying to build organizationally. The kids and the vets up front will benefit from having him.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Maybe I'm a product of my beloved old school Bruins, but when comparing players
with similar stat lines, I'll pretty much always choose the more physical of the two
(and I know, Loui's playing style certainly projects to a longer career)...

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Backes AINEO

I liked loui alot. Alot of people complained about him on here for lack of physicality and a lack of heart.

Backes we get similar output plus leadership + physicality.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
Each excels at certain facets of the game over the other.

I was (and guess I still am) a big Loui fan. Even though he was the center piece coming back in a pretty terrible trade for the Bruins, I always liked his game in Dallas, and felt he was unfairly critiqued in Boston at times.

He put up good to great numbers in his 2 full seasons with Boston, and seemed like a solid teammate.

However, I would still rather have Backes right now. I feel (hope?) he really injects some life into this team. Tall order to fill for a new guy. However, by all accounts he's the right guy for the job. He's versatile in the fact he is comfortable at center and wing. He's defensively responsible, and can score a few goals. If he brings the same game he had in St. Louis to Boston- fans here will fall in love with him.

I am also on board with the contract concerns. If I have to take a chance on one of those guys as they go into their twilight years, I'll take my chances with Backes. Erikkson will do fine in Vancouver, and I wish him nothing but the best of luck. However, I am super excited to see Backes in black and gold next year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And the end of the day, it really comes down to which player would I more enjoy watching 82 games a year + playoffs.

And that player is David Backes without a doubt.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Backes, but only because he suits the team identity better. I would say 80% of the teams in the league should prefer Louie because he suits their identity better. This team is meant to be in your face, hard working, and physical.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
You like potato and I like potahto
You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto.
Let's call the whole thing off

This song is ****ing bull**** because no one says "to-mahto." Hell, does anyone even say "po-tahto?"

I call shenanigans. This song was written by a weirdo trying to justify his stupid way of pronouncing words.

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
They overpaid backes but they need to win now. I assume.

I don't like 21 so between him and backes. Backes every day of the week. Fills a need a right shot rw (assuming they keep krejci) not to mention a vocal leader they surely need.

Backes as a bruin > 21

camdon

Oct 24, 2008
They overpaid backes but they need to win now. I assume.

I don't like 21 so between him and backes. Backes every day of the week. Fills a need a right shot rw (assuming they keep krejci) not to mention a vocal leader they surely need.

Backes as a bruin > 21

Agree with that statement 100% Was never a fan of Eriksson game. Simply put... He boring!!

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You don't pay $6m for leadership. A guy has to produce for that $.

That said: both teams will regret their own signing.

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
You don't pay $6m for leadership. A guy has to produce for that $.

That said: both teams will regret their own signing.

They paid him 6 million to be a first line RW. But you're right to this extent, I like backes but if he doesn't give them at least 3 productive seasons the leadership stuff won't mean much and it will be a bad deal.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I didn't want the Bruins to sign either. Too long and too much money tied up in players that are past 30. But dat leadership doe on Backes, I mean he yells at guys! :laugh:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
After watching a few games over the last few days, man we are gonna miss Loui 'without the puck' so bad. He is honestly as good/better than Bergeron on the PK. Forget points, we are a lot worse off, if you have a look at the comparison between Loui and Backes soley for shots against its not even in the same league. I love Backes, but id have loved Loui to have that contract (i know he didnt want that exact contract) but dang, we are gonna miss him bad.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Their contracts carry them to the same age.

I'm a huge loui fan, but for this club Backes is the guy.
He's a vocal and hugely respected leader and former captain, he could play loui's roll AND fill in at center to take tough draws and pressure off of krejci and Bergeron, he plays the aggressive physical game they're trying to build organizationally. The kids and the vets up front will benefit from having him.

Bingo. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad