Confirmed with Link: Lou Lamoriello will not be Leafs GM next season - moves into Senior Advisor role

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
every GM has people around them but at the end of the day they're the one's who are supposed to make the final decision so i want to have full confidence on my GM and not just to "not worry" as you put it because of who his support staff is , especially considering there's rumors of LL and Hunter leaving (if he doesn't get the job)

Being a GM or a CEO is not as much about knowing everything there is no know about the environment you are in as much as it is about knowing how to take information, process it and make a decision. Of course it is helpful if you know the material you are using, but you don't have to have had prior experience dealing with that exact same subject.
It's much like math, if you can do it in 2 space you just take the same concepts and apply them in 3 space.

Dubas has shown he is extremely successful managing at the AHL level. Frankly, my only concern would be his ability to handle the circus that comes with being the GM of the Leafs.

Reactions: 4thline

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Burke drafted Brown, Nonis Drafted Johnsson and Nylander.

Try again

they may have drafted them but they weren't here when any of those guys turned pro. all they did was add those guys name to a list of protected junior players we have the rights to.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I've said it before, but I personally have no use for Dubas. If he doesn't get the position, or leaves the organization outright, won't bother me in the least.

I am excited to follow a new GM search though. Will add some excitement to this off-season, bridging the gap to the entry draft and free agency.

Reactions: ToneDog

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Dubas has shown he is extremely successful managing at the AHL level. Frankly, my only concern would be his ability to handle the circus that comes with being the GM of the Leafs.

It's not even that bad if you handle it correctly. Just don't pick a fight you can't win with the media ala how one burly Irishman did the job.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Being a GM or a CEO is not as much about knowing everything there is no know about the environment you are in as much as it is about knowing how to take information, process it and make a decision. Of course it is helpful if you know the material you are using, but you don't have to have had prior experience dealing with that exact same subject.
It's much like math, if you can do it in 2 space you just take the same concepts and apply them in 3 space.

if people want Dubas to be our next GM that's fine but enough of this Marlies crap like somehow being a GM of an NHL teams AHL affiliate is in some way similar to running an NHL team , not to mention thinking he is anything more than a caretaker and has zero oversight in how he handles whatever duties that position implies

are people really that clueless in believing that running an AHL team is similar to being a NHL gm ?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I've said it before, but I personally have no use for Dubas. If he doesn't get the position, or leaves the organization outright, won't bother me in the least.

I am excited to follow a new GM search though. Will add some excitement to this off-season, bridging the gap to the entry draft and free agency.
I guess they have about a month to appoint someone so they are in place in plenty of time to run draft scenarios.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
The Marlies are his baby. He is responsible for their development. Keefe gets credit too, but Dubas is the one who would be responsible for hiring Keefe, adding team mates to play with and delivering the core concept of what a Maple Leaf is as set out by Shanahan.
I posted a tweet earlier about how Dubas challenged Johnsson to be better in front at a team dinner.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I guess they have about a month to appoint someone so they are in place in plenty of time to run draft scenarios.

if hunter is going to leave if he isn't named GM, he wont do it until after the draft. SO no need to worry about the draft Hunter takes care of most of that, even when lou was here.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Dont get too excited, lol

Im pretty sure we'll get a tweet in about a month saying that either Dubas or Hunter has been named GM and that will be it.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
if hunter is going to leave if he isn't named GM, he wont do it until after the draft. SO no need to worry about the draft Hunter takes care of most of that, even when lou was here.

Even if he did leave between now and the draft what effect would it really have? The scouting for this year is all but done, and its not like hes our only scout.

Reactions: Walshy7

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
if people want Dubas to be our next GM that's fine but enough of this Marlies crap like somehow being a GM of an NHL teams AHL affiliate is in some way similar to running an NHL team , not to mention thinking he is anything more than a caretaker and has zero oversight in how he handles whatever duties that position implies

are people really that clueless in believing that running an AHL team is similar to being a NHL gm ?
What would be a better league to get your sea legs in? Or would it be better to have no experience at all?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Perhaps, though it's probably still early to say the heavy lifting has been done. More than not, a new GM is walking into a not-so-ideal situation where a team can't progress to, or past, a certain point. Lou is vacating the role, not being fired due to poor performance. The latter is good for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Some of Burke's holdovers are still here and Lou definitely brought in some solid pieces. There's been good work done here for a while now and that shouldn't diminish things for anyone.

The heavy lifting is absolutely done, the franchise center is in place, the elite wingers are in place, the #2 center is in place, the #1 D man is in place, the #1 goalie is in place, much of the depth is in place.

Sure some pieces are needed but they are just that pieces, minor pieces

Every big piece is in place.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The Marlies are his baby. He is responsible for their development. Keefe gets credit too, but Dubas is the one who would be responsible for hiring Keefe, adding team mates to play with and delivering the core concept of what a Maple Leaf is as set out by Shanahan.
I posted a tweet earlier about how Dubas challenged Johnsson to be better in front at a team dinner.
Yes, apparently Keefe has done a great job with the Marlies. If Dubas alone made that hire, good job done there.
I think his role in developing players would be relatively minor.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
the work he's done for the Marlies is pretty underrated imo. They're a historically good AHL team, and are doing a fantastic job at turning prospects into NHL caliber talent for the Leafs. Having a farm system that can do that is crucial when you look at the failed rebuilds of teams who can't boast that

Reactions: Alerion

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The heavy lifting is absolutely done, the franchise center is in place, the elite wingers are in place, the #2 center is in place, the #1 D man is in place, the #1 goalie is in place, much of the depth is in place.

Sure some pieces are needed but they are just that pieces, minor pieces

Every big piece is in place.
I don't know that many see this Team as just needing a few minor pieces.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
If Dubas comes in, then he gets to take away Babcock's unskilled toys and we fill this team with more speed and skill!

My only concern is while I'm the biggest advocate of skill on here, we need to start accumulating players with high-end skill and a mix of physicality/size. That's our biggest weakness right now...and is the biggest weakness on the Marlies as well.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Yes, because
I'm charming
I'm funny
I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!

7a09acb75384f761850582a58bd00019.jpg

Super funny

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
What would be a better league to get your sea legs in? Or would it be better to have no experience at all?
like i said , if you want Dubas that's fine but being a AHL gm is in no way like being a NHL gm

also there's no need to fluff his resume since whatever we post here has no bearing on who our next GM will be

Shanny imo has already made his decision and is just going through the motions of saying he's going to do an extensive search to make it look good , i think in the next few days if not sooner it'll leak out that either Dubas or Hunter is our next GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad