Newsday: Lou expected to extend for 3 more years

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I like Lou and think he's done great things for this franchise, brining respectability back after decades of losing. But at the end of they, is he really the man to right this ship? Do you trust an 80 year old with turning one of the oldest teams in the league with no prospect pool to speak of a plenty of mediocre players on multi year deals around?

Do the owners truly believe that the present course is the right one? That's a scary thought.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Huh, that was Snow who got Sorokin, and I am hoping you are not really bragging about that Horvat trade, get back to me in 4 years on the state of this team
How about we give Horvat more then a quarter of a season. He gelled really well with Barzal, they need a faster LW on that line. A full off-season on Long Island with his family moved and a full camp and I think we will see a very different player.

scott99

May 13, 2005
We are a franchise that can't attract top free agents, and have little to trade. What is the point in bringing Lou back? So he can do more of the same? What, am I supposed to get excited that he'll probably look to bring in Milan Lucic or some other way over the hill player?
You obviously don’t remember the bad old days. You say the Isles can’t attract top free agents. The Isles finished 2nd in the Tavares and Panarin sweepstakes. Think about that. In the bad old days, they wouldn’t have even BEEN in the sweepstakes, let alone come close to signing either player. Same goes for Gadreau last offseason, the Isles are always in it. That can’t be said back in the bad old days.

The Isles were a laughing stock with crappy ownership and a crumbling arena (or an arena not built for hockey), and always missing the playoffs, barely making the salary cap floor. These are different times, with great new ownership wiling to spend to the cap ceiling, the best arena in hockey,
And making the playoffs the last 4 out of 5 seasons. Not only do players want to come to the Islanders, when they do, they wanna stay. In the old days, the Isles would have lost players like Lee and Nelson to free agency when their contracts were up, and lost rentals like Pageau and Horvat to free agency.

That old “Islanders can’t attract top free agents” is an old wive’s tale nowadays.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
You obviously don’t remember the bad old days. You say the Isles can’t attract top free agents. The Isles finished 2nd in the Tavares and Panarin sweepstakes. Think about that. In the bad old days, they wouldn’t have even BEEN in the sweepstakes, let alone come close to signing either player. Same goes for Gadreau last offseason, the Isles are always in it. That can’t be said back in the bad old days.

The Isles were a laughing stock with crappy ownership and a crumbling arena (or an arena not built for hockey), and always missing the playoffs, barely making the salary cap floor. These are different times, with great new ownership wiling to spend to the cap ceiling, the best arena in hockey,
And making the playoffs the last 4 out of 5 seasons. Not only do players want to come to the Islanders, when they do, they wanna stay. In the old days, the Isles would have lost players like Lee and Nelson to free agency when their contracts were up, and lost rentals like Pageau and Horvat to free agency.

That old “Islanders can’t attract top free agents” is an old wive’s tale nowadays.
So now we're celebrating almost landing a player? The Islanders, still to this day, have never had a A-list UFA leave another team to sign here.

Reactions: Zeeker

scott99

May 13, 2005
Huh, that was Snow who got Sorokin, and I am hoping you are not really bragging about that Horvat trade, get back to me in 4 years on the state of this team
Snow drafted Sorokin, but he wasn’t coming over here with Snow as the GM. Once Lou became the GM, Sorokin wanted to come to the Isles.

Horvat was on pace for 50 goals before the trade. It’s not Lou’s fault that Horvat shit the bed when he came here. Lou was mostly lauded by NHL media (and MOST Isle’s fans) for making the trade and getting Horvat signed. Horvat would’ve been one of the top 3 biggest free agents available this summer.

That being said, as long as Horvat scores 30+ goals a year the next 5 years of his contract, I’ll be thrilled with the trade. He brings a lot to the team besides stats though, it’s the intangibles. Leadership, defensive awareness as a center, great at faceoffs, etc.

scott99

May 13, 2005
So now we're celebrating almost landing a player? The Islanders, still to this day, have never had a A-list UFA leave another team to sign here.
You obviously don’t get it, or are a relatively new fan.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
This is what bothers me.

Lamoriello is not only the General Manager but also the President of Hockey Ops, so he literally reports to himself.

That just does not make sense because there no way in which his performance be objectively and professionally evaluated.

Sure the President of Hockey Ops reports to the owners (I assume), but why the hell would I want Scott Malkin and John Ledecky evaluating the performance of a hockey executive, they don’t know jack shit about running a successful hockey organization, they just got rich off of retail…

1684069444942.png

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
This is what bothers me.

Lamoriello is not only the General Manager but also the President of Hockey Ops, so he literally reports to himself.

That just does not make sense because there no way in which his performance be objectively and professionally evaluated.

Sure the President of Hockey Ops reports to the owners (I assume), but why the hell would I want Scott Malkin and John Ledecky evaluating the performance of a hockey executive, they don’t know jack shit about running a successful hockey organization, they just got rich off of retail…
I assume you haven’t worked a corporate job where you have senior leadership that hold multiple titles?

Reactions: JKP

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Lambert is a mixed bag, but he's mediocre as a coach. Not amazing but not terrible. He wouldn't be out of place in a Dick Tracey remake
It was his first year. I’m far more interested to see what he learned and how he responds / improves this year. We had some big pieces missing this year at times and we still made the POs. The PP is the thing that MUST get figured out.

Reactions: Seph

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
It was his first year. I’m far more interested to see what he learned and how he responds / improves this year. We had some big pieces missing this year at times and we still made the POs. The PP is the thing that MUST get figured out.
Power Play badly needs a puck mover, so my #1 priority on Lamoriello is to get that guy. Severson or Orlov would fit like a glove here.

Reactions: JKP

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
You obviously don’t get it, or are a relatively new fan.
Neither. Fan since 1975. I stand by my comment. The culture has certainly changed for the better, but it has yet to lead to any prominent free agent signings. I'll believe it when it happens, which would be a first.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
32 thoughts podcast Friedman thinks Isles might hire former nhl COO John Collins for the business side of things .

John Collins wiki bio
@periferal posted this the other day. Don’t know that it translates to anything on the ice but the guy has an incredible resume and seems like it would be a major win from a business perspective to have him in the organization

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Why do you care specifically about signing UFAs? You’re really itching to overpay a player on the back half of his career for dwindling numbers?

Reactions: xECK29x

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

You can't argue against my point that UFAs don't sign here by stating that 2 top UFAs didn't sign here, but at least we made an offer.

To date, Andrew Ladd remains one of, if not our biggest UFA signing in franchise history. Let that sink in.

I mean honestly, what big players have we ever signed? Miro Satan was a UFA signing if I remember correctly. Then what are we looking at? Greiss? Shawn Bates? Randy Wood? Matt Moulson? come on man. To date we are not a destination for top free agents.

Our system is barren. Our NHL roster is mediocre at best. Our PP is historically awful.

Call me an ageist if you want, but bringing an 80 year old back to be the GM tells me that he & ownership are going to go for it again. Well how can you go for it when you have little to trade and no one ever signs here. not to mention the fact that we have a bunch of unmoveable contracts on this team that would prevent us from spending anyway.

The club that just got bounced in 6, is more or less going to be the same exact club that will be brought back next year. Maybe they'll make the playoffs, maybe they won't. But we are so far away from being a serious cup contender.

Bringing Lou back is an awful decision which will ultimately harm the teams future. There isn't a doubt in my mind about that.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Why do you care specifically about signing UFAs? You’re really itching to overpay a player on the back half of his career for dwindling numbers?
Because when you don't have the prospects or draft capital to trade for the elite player needed, UFA is the only way to acquire one.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Hate to break it to you, everyone at that age is a ticking time bomb. I want to know that there's a plan, and a legitimate plan, in place if/when he isn't physically able to do the job anymore. That process needs to be happening yesterday.

What's the plan if any GM shits the bed and an NHL owner decides he should be fired immediately?

Sometimes ownership has a replacement already decided on and a transition is smooth. Sometimes they have to appoint an interim GM and do a more exhaustive search.

Given the myriad of positive things that he's done since taking over, I'll trust that Malkin knows what he's doing (although if Chris Lamoriello is appointed the next GM then I'll start doubting him).

Regardless, you're never going to hear that there's a plan. The only person who speaks to the media less than Lou is Malkin.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What's the plan if any GM shits the bed and an NHL owner decides he should be fired immediately?

Sometimes ownership has a replacement already decided on and a transition is smooth. Sometimes they have to appoint an interim GM and do a more exhaustive search.

Given the myriad of positive things that he's done since taking over, I'll trust that Malkin knows what he's doing (although if Chris Lamoriello is appointed the next GM then I'll start doubting him).

Regardless, you're never going to hear that there's a plan. The only person who speaks to the media less than Lou is Malkin.
There's a big difference between someone falling seriously ill or dying compared to getting canned by the owner.

Yes, anyone can have something unfortunate happen to them at any moment but someone who is 80+ years old has a substantially higher probability of that happening to them. Stability is important for business, especially in sports.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
There's a big difference between someone falling seriously ill or dying compared to getting canned by the owner.

Yes, anyone can have something unfortunate happen to them at any moment but someone who is 80+ years old has a substantially higher probability of that happening to them. Stability is important for business, especially in sports.

1. I legit can't believe that this is the thing you're that up in arms about.
  2. There's really no difference if a GM gets fired or dies. Either any NHL owner has a plan in place for a successor or they don't.
  3. Would be shocking if Malkin wasn't aware of things you're bringing up on a hockey message board. I mean Lou's contract just expired. You don't think he at least considered what to do at GM next?
  4. Personally I don't care if an owner has a plan in place or takes time to interview many candidates. Time should not be an issues - Getting it right should.
  5. And whether or not Malkin has a plan, you're never going to know about it until Lou is gone (for whatever reason).

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
At the end of the day the owners need to be able to evaluate the management of an executive. I thought they learned their mistakes with Snow, but clearly that isn’t the case. Both of them seem to get too personally attached to make objective assessments of executive personnel.
Since Lou took over, the Islanders are 7th in the league for most playoff games won. That isn't a flawless track record of course, but who could we realistically hire that has a better one?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Since Lou took over, the Islanders are 7th in the league for most playoff games won. That isn't a flawless track record of course, but who could we realistically hire that has a better one?
The 6 guys ahead of Lou. Or maybe the guy right behind him in 8th.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
  1. I legit can't believe that this is the thing you're that up in arms about.
  2. There's really no difference if a GM gets fired or dies. Either any NHL owner has a plan in place for a successor or they don't.
  3. Would be shocking if Malkin wasn't aware of things you're bringing up on a hockey message board. I mean Lou's contract just expired. You don't think he at least considered what to do at GM next?
  4. Personally I don't care if an owner has a plan in place or takes time to interview many candidates. Time should not be an issues - Getting it right should.
  5. And whether or not Malkin has a plan, you're never going to know about it until Lou is gone (for whatever reason).
Up in arms is a massive over exaggeration. I just said it was a concern. See below. I don't really care to discuss it any further. If you don't think it's an issue at all, great.

I don't hate Lamoriello and have liked most of what he's done for the franchise but three years for an 80 year old with nobody else helping/learning is a bit concerning for me.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad