Movies: Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum (tentative title)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Gollum is the worst character in LotR.

Nobody wants this.

I don't know about worst character necessarily, but hard to disagree with the overall sentiment here.

Probably just due to rights. This Peter Jackson funded, whom I believe only has the rights to LOTR and Hobbit. Amazon has the appendixes to work from, from what I'd heard. Not sure who has the rights the rest.

But it seems like a studio/money decision to try to milk whatever rights they have for all that they are worth. Not the ideal place to working from.

There's so many other avenues to explore. I mean there's open opportunities for 4th age or later movies/shows, as far as I know nothing has ever explored that possibility. Or going back to film might the best way to go about doing a 1st age thing showing the war against Morgoth. But likely that would mean they'd have to get the rights to those things. Which as we saw with the insane bidding war for the rights Amazon got that's probably too prohibitively expensive, cheaper to just find whatever easy crack they can to try to print more money.

Dec 29, 2004
This is going to be a re-make of a fan film of the same title. It takes place in the gap between The Hobbit and LotR, when Gandolf and Aragon are dealing with the 'Necromancer' in the Greenwood/Mirkwood.

This movie would have been a useful bridge had they filmed it all in sequence, rather than doing LotR first and Hobbit second. Fans will watch it, as it is better than that crap Amazon are putting out with RoP.

Here is the fan film:

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Gollum is the worst character in LotR.

Nobody wants this.
Gollum is a terrific character. More than likely he won't actually be the character focus of this film, with it instead being more focused on Gandalf uncovering the nature of Bilbo's ring and Aragorn's efforts to find Gollum before Sauron does.

I agree that nobody wants this.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I just wish Peter Jackson went back to his roots and gave us another braindead/dead alive.

I don't understand why they are trying to push for LotR projects so hard. The movies were fine (not as good as the books) but The Hobbit was garbage and no one i know that like the the IP gave a crap about the tv-show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad