Looks like this is going to be a regulation win.... Nope, it's a regulation loss

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm sure this has happened in the regular season many times but we're not too interested in those, are we? I'm wondering what are some famous cases of a team up by a goal late in the playoffs, allowing two quick ones to lose the game in shocking fashion?

I can think of two...

2009, Devils look to be closing out the series against the Hurricanes, but Jokinen and Staal score in succession to stun the Devils.

2013, the Bruins look like they're going to force game 7 against the Hawks, but Bickell and Bolland change everything just 17 seconds apart.

How common is this?

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
June 24, 2013; Chicago 3, Boston 2, on late goals at 18:44 and 19:01 of third period.

I remember turning this one off and turning in, figuring the Hawks would lose and go to Game Seven. Driving to work in the morning, I heard on the car radio that the Hawks had won The Cup.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
That Chicago Boston game takes the cake because it ended the season too. I was looking forward to a Game 7 and all of the sudden, wrap it up boys summer’s here and it’s all over. Definitely stunning because of what that game was.

One that hasn’t been mentioned that came to mind was the Ducks Oilers playoff game with the Ducks comeback and the whole goalie kerfluffle. I don’t think that one went to OT, I admit I was asleep at the end as it seemed done and dusted and I had an early start the next day.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Drury against the NYR tied the game with seconds left in the second round Game 5. Like a true Sabres fan, I cursed the team before the faceoff and left the room, assuming we had lost. Then Ruff let Afinogenov, who had been on the bench or DNP the entire series, back on the ice and he won it in OT. That was a good Rangers team, too.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
May 5, 2006, Game 1, Sabres-Sens. Buffalo scores shorthanded at 18:23 to tie the game. Ottawa scores on the power play at 18:47 to retake the lead. Buffalo scores again at 19:49 to tie the score again. Buffalo scores at 0:18 of OT.

I know this isn't technically a regulation loss, but OT lasted all of 18 seconds, so I think it should count.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
There can't be a bigger comeback than this with so little time left. Dallas was down 2 goals with less than one minute to go. Three unanswered goals in one minute!

The first one I thought of as well. Just a random game in October, really meaningless, but still that is just awful coughing that up.

1996 Canada vs USA

A very underrated one here. USA ties it with 3:18 left and Amonte scored 43 seconds after that. Then the empty netter, then Deadmarsh scoring past a stunned Joseph with about 30 seconds left. 5-2 final. All of this despite Canada going up 2-1 with about 7 minutes left.

I can remember Bob Cole commenting prior to the tying US goal at how much Canada was content in icing the puck. He said something along the lines of "It seems as though Canada feels as if one goal is going to be enough. I don't know about that." When Canada was doing the same thing at the 2010 Olympics in the dying minutes by icing the puck too often I thought of the 1996 World Cup right away. Better result in 2010 though, but as far as momentum shifting there are few bigger than the end of Game 3 of the 1996 World Cup.

That Chicago Boston game takes the cake because it ended the season too. I was looking forward to a Game 7 and all of the sudden, wrap it up boys summer’s here and it’s all over. Definitely stunning because of what that game was.

I remember the tying goal going in and I thought "Oh man, I have to work early in the morning, can't one of the teams just end it in regulation?" And then...............

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
How about Game 2 of the 2016 World Cup final? Canada is rolling along just fine until that game and needed until the last three minutes of the game to tie it up and then win it. Other than that you've got probably a Game 3. Gimmicky tournament notwithstanding, what with the gimmicky teams and such, but Brad Marchand's short handed wrister with a minute left is often forgotten. 44 seconds left to be exact. Not just that, but Canada was trailing basically that whole game. Team Europe was up 1-0 early in the 1st period and hung onto that until Bergeron scored to tie it with three minutes left in the third.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
Given the importance, the '72 NHL-USSR Summit Series had a dramatic turnaround in the final ten minutes off the last game. That ought to count.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
How about Game 2 of the 2016 World Cup final? Canada is rolling along just fine until that game and needed until the last three minutes of the game to tie it up and then win it. Other than that you've got probably a Game 3. Gimmicky tournament notwithstanding, what with the gimmicky teams and such, but Brad Marchand's short handed wrister with a minute left is often forgotten. 44 seconds left to be exact. Not just that, but Canada was trailing basically that whole game. Team Europe was up 1-0 early in the 1st period and hung onto that until Bergeron scored to tie it with three minutes left in the third.
Sorry but I was pulling for Team Slovakia and Friends, just to stick it to Bettman and the league.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Given the importance, the '72 NHL-USSR Summit Series had a dramatic turnaround in the final ten minutes off the last game. That ought to count.

Throw in the fact it started out in the 3rd period 5-3 and then Pete Mahovlich got an early goal. Even better.

Sorry but I was pulling for Team Slovakia and Friends, just to stick it to Bettman and the league.

Wouldn't that of been an embarrassment huh? As much as people liked the Young Guns team North America, I hated them. Imagine historically how bad it would be if Canada beat McDavid on his own team? I was so happy it was Russia we played in the semis and then that jumbled together Europe team rather than some of our own guys. How this tournament format was approved is beyond me.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
In the famous Leafs-Bruins collapse, what everyone often overlooks is that right after Lucic and Bergeron scored to tie it, Rich Peverly had an absolutely golden opportunity to score on the final shift of regulation with about 12 seconds left on a rebound from Reimer right into the slot but just couldn't get the shot off cleanly.

As devastated and traumatized as Toronto fans were losing in OT, I can only imagine how much worse it would've been for them to give up three goals in the final 1:22 to lose in regulation.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
In basketball, you can score two or three at once. In baseball, you have the grand slam. In football, you can get six plus an extra point or two.
Only in hockey do you need two scoring plays to tie and take the lead. Well, there is soccer, but I don't think about that very much! ;)

Reactions: seventieslord

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
1985 Adams Division Semifinal at Colisee de Quebec. Deciding game 5 between Buffalo and the Nords.

Sabres have a 5-3 lead past the midway point of the 3rd, Quebec frantically ties it with two quick goals and then Brent Ashton scores with right around 60 seconds to go. Thought this was headed to OT

Also brings back memories of that unique camera angle the Nords used to use in the 80s which was way above the ice surface.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Leafs and Flyers game 2, 1999.

I remember that game, it was frustrating watching that series up to that point. Toronto was shutout in Game 1, and then it looked like another shutout in Game 2. Then two relatively weak backhanders against Beezer and it is reversed. And this led to Beezer letting in some other weak backhanders that series. He had something like a 1.46 GAA that series and yet it was thought that he played poorly. To me it showed exactly why the Flyers should have went for Joseph and not cheaped out getting Beezer, who was on the decline.

Reactions: GlitchMarner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad