Value of: Looking to trade our 2023 - 1st for 2021 - 1st ?

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Hi All

I am just wondering, more than anything..............

"IF" Vancouver was looking to make an extra pick in the 2021- 1st Round and offered their 2023 -1st.

Would there be any takers? And how high could we expect to possibly get?

I doubt very much it would happen...but again just wondering

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hi All

"IF" Vancouver was looking to make an extra pick in the 2021- 1st Round and offered their 2023 -1st.

Rangers I could see getting 1st + for Buch and likewise 1st + for Strome
small chance
they might look to add to that and move way up.

Bigger chance they would be amenable to a deal on one of the 2021 1sts --NYR's own or one of those 2.
However not sure if we don't prefer 2022 to 2023.

Also, it would not be 1:1.
You would have to add something in consideration, delaying into a later year that may be better is not enough in a vaccum.

Which brings this to possibility of a package deal that includes 1 or mo 1st rounders to VAN.

Reactions: zcaptain

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Rangers I could see getting 1st + for Buch and likewise 1st + for Strome
small chance
they might look to add to that and move way up.

Bigger chance they would be amenable to a deal on one of the 2021 1sts --NYR's own or one of those 2.
However not sure if we don't prefer 2022 to 2023.

Also, it would not be 1:1.
You would have to add something in consideration, delaying into a later year that may be better is not enough in a vaccum.

Which brings this to possibility of a package deal that includes 1 or mo 1st rounders to VAN.
Neither of those get you a first back. With expansion coming up no team will give up a first for two players that max out on the second line.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Neither of those get you a first back. With expansion coming up no team will give up a first for two players that max out on the second line.

I disagree to extent that is set in stone.

RIGHT NOW, yes, hands are clearly tied.

After the season, contracts off the books = cap room and former roster players who do not require protection.

Not saying it is easy, or that exp dre doesn't make it cumbersome, or that every club is a possible fit.

But it is doable and I only need 2 takers and both Buch and Strome are playing very very well and have 1 more season at or projected to be at reasonable or even cheap $.

And just btw
had some discussions with this as to
something around
Buch to CAR for 1st and Drury.

pt here is it is barely doable from a standpoint of exp dr with Buch as one of 7 protected.

Further complication on fitting Buch $ into tight cap, and it seemed plausible that in this specific example, NY could take back Fast at 2 per x 3 [2 after this] for free
OR
a separate deal is added to the package
Canes give NY reasonable futures to take Gardner contract, then sell him to a cap dweller or buy him out or some combo

But my point remains.
takes effort, but is prob doable.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Very few, if any GM's would consider such a trade. Two years is a long time in The NHL.

As said here, no GM would ever trade their pick this year straight across for a mystery 1st 2 whole years later, that's just plain stupid as a gm

Now, if you offered your 2nd this year and an UNPROTECTED 1st in 23 for a 1st this year you might get some takers.

To clarify why no GM would make your original proposal, iirc, this draft is supposed to be very dman heavy at the top and teams are always looking for dmen. The 23 draft is too far away to really determine today whether it will be a strong draft or a weak draft. Why would any GM trade a 1st this year where he can likely get a very good dman to wait 2 years when it may be a very weak draft

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Hi All

If the pick was unprotected in 2023, as a Devils' fan I'd swap NYI 2021 1st for VAN 2023 1st.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
If I was Detroit, I’d offer up Washington’s first rounder for Vancouver’s unprotected 2023 first rounder. Most GMs won’t do it because they might not be making the selection and they don’t know where the pick will fall & quality of the draft.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Hi All

you have to add significantly to that given uncertainty of where the pick us.

if youare as,I get for a mid 20s it costs you a 23 1st + 21 2nd+ other picks

go higher it costs you additional 1sts

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hi All

A team like the Avs should be all over this offer. Your 2023 pick would need to be unprotected. A requirement of such a deal.

Avs 2021 1st unprotected for Vancouver’s 2023 1st unprotected. Send it in.

Reactions: Patagonia

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If I was Detroit, I’d offer up Washington’s first rounder for Vancouver’s unprotected 2023 first rounder. Most GMs won’t do it because they might not be making the selection and they don’t know where the pick will fall & quality of the draft.

I'll echo this. An unprotected 1st in '23 would be very valuable to the Wings. We're setting the rebuild back and it's doubtful Vancouver is even in the '23 lottery, but any increase at our odds of getting Bedard is worth it. I don't think Stevie Y does it simply because two years is a long time to wait, but I would. Washington's pick is guaranteed to be pretty late so we probably end up getting a slightly better pick in exchange for waiting two years... But just maybe we get lottery luck because of it and that would be totally worth waiting.

Reactions: SirloinUB

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
what if it was nucks 2022 1st , to a team with like record , for somebodys 2021 1st ? would the outlook that 22 is a better prospect crop than 21 entice teams to trade their 21 ?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The expansion draft is prior to the draft. So, you're wrong on both parts. Buch doesn't go for less than a 1st unless there's a good player / very good prospect involved. With that said, I don't see any team doing this for a future 1st 2 years down the road, unless you're going to go for a late 2021 first.

Reactions: bernmeister

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The expansion draft is prior to the draft. So, you're wrong on both parts. Buch doesn't go for less than a 1st unless there's a good player / very good prospect involved. With that said, I don't see any team doing this for a future 1st 2 years down the road, unless you're going to go for a late 2021 first.
I’m not wrong at all. The fact that the draft is before doesn’t change anything. Unless a team has a huge hole in the top 6 that they’ll fix without making them lose someone important in the expansion, they won’t get a first. And if a team had that hole their first is going to be way too early for those guys.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I’m not wrong at all. The fact that the draft is before doesn’t change anything. Unless a team has a huge hole in the top 6 that they’ll fix without making them lose someone important in the expansion, they won’t get a first. And if a team had that hole their first is going to be way too early for those guys.
You said with the expansion draft coming up no team would trade a first for those players. The expansion draft is irrelevant here because it would obviously take place after the draft, so you don't risk having to protect anybody. And if anything, if you're losing a player in your top 6, more teams probably make that trade. Nobody said this was going to be a top 10 pick.

Reactions: bernmeister

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You said with the expansion draft coming up no team would trade a first for those players. The expansion draft is irrelevant here because it would obviously take place after the draft, so you don't risk having to protect anybody. And if anything, if you're losing a player in your top 6, more teams probably make that trade. Nobody said this was going to be a top 10 pick.
If a team is losing a top 6 player it’s cause they have 7 better forwards or 4 more valuable D. At that point it’s more than likely Strome and Buchnevich aren’t better than what they already have.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
This comes in perspective of team needs. And rehauls of teams that are in rebuilds. Depending on how you value this draft? I can say that a lot of teams would take you up on this offer.

This draft is suppose to be extremely weak. Both to the draft class, and the Covid issues. The scouts that are giving reports on extremely small sample sizes? And almost a year and a half of the players juniors have been cut short for a full evaluation. Say this is a downer

In my opinion. Yes my opinion? I would trade Anaheim’s first if Beniers isn’t their. Don’t care if it’s 3rd overall to second overall.

2022 and 2023 is suppose to be amazing draft years. And my franchise of Anaheim is in need of so much help that this draft won’t help much outside of Beniers for center position. You can have it, my opinion personally will accept a bunch of picks for 2022 and 2023 including the 2023 first for our position.

Would just have to discuss the details of what picks we get for our first.

Last edited:

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Very few, if any GM's would consider such a trade. Two years is a long time in The NHL.

Disagree. Scouts are saying 2023 is one of the best years in the last decade. And to assume scouts only scout one year at a time? Which I’m assuming you are with the post is false. There’s 5 year olds at your local hockey rink that are being scouted if they are any good. And it’s for all levels of hockey. WHL, NCAA, OHL all the leagues.

In my opinion alot of rebuilding teams of NHL would consider this

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
This comes in perspective of team needs. And rehauls of teams that are in rebuilds. Depending on how you value this draft? I can say that a lot of teams would take you up on this offer.

This draft is suppose to be extremely weak. Both to the draft class, and the Covid issues. The scouts that are giving reports on extremely small sample sizes? And almost a year and a half of the players juniors have been cut short for a full evaluation. Say this is a downer

In my opinion. Yes my opinion? I would trade Anaheim’s first if Beniers isn’t their. Don’t care if it’s 3rd overall to second overall.

2022 and 2023 is suppose to be amazing draft years. And my franchise of Anaheim is in need of so much help that this draft won’t help much outside of Beniers for center position. You can have it, my opinion personally will accept a bunch of picks for 2022 and 2023 including the 2023 first for our position.

Would just have to discuss the details of what picks we get for our first.
would you trade ducks 21 1st for detroits 22 1st , right now today ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad