Looking for NHL related NFTs

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ya this is going crazy and now the first ever tweet is selling for $10M as an example.

Not my thing.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
You literally just have to right-click and move your cursor down to "Save Image As."

Now you have an image of the first-ever tweet, you spent nothing to acquire it, and you didn't burn several hundred kilowatt-hours to do it, either.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I feel like part of the fun of owning something valuable is the necessity to keep it safe. Like, with this you're just buying something and then that's it. All you can do is look at it on a screen and tell people you spent money on it. At least with a card or a piece of artwork you have to do something with it - whether than means putting it in a closet for 30 years, hanging it on a wall, keeping it in your wallet, whatever.

It just seems like lazy exclusivity for exclusivity's sake, you're basically just buying a license to brag, and if your battery dies you can't even look at it. I don't see the appeal.

If you're really dead-set on it, at least wait until the boom is over, at that point NFTs will be no more valuable than the average sports card or artwork you find in a thrift store. This is just another game for wealthy people to play with each other while the plebs scrape and claw and pray for a piece.

Reactions: tacogeoff

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
You literally just have to right-click and move your cursor down to "Save Image As."

Now you have an image of the first-ever tweet, you spent nothing to acquire it, and you didn't burn several hundred kilowatt-hours to do it, either.
Not exactly how it works but ya

Now, what exactly does the person who wins the auction for Dorsey’s tweet get? According to Valuables, you get a “digital certificate of the tweet, unique because it has been signed and verified by the creator.” Despite the sale, the tweet will continue to live on Twitter.
“This autographed digital certificate will only be issued once on Valuables. It is signed using cryptography, and includes metadata of the original tweet like: when the tweet was posted, what the text contents are of the tweet, the timestamp of the tweet, and the digital signature from the creator’s crypto wallet address,” Valuables stated.
While that may not sound like a grand purchase, or even one worth the millions people are putting up for it, buying NFTs is a thing right now. Grimes sold NFTs of her artwork, which included videos, for around $6 million earlier this month. In February, an NFT of the Nyan Cat GIF sold for roughly 300 Ether. The cryptocurrency had a value of roughly $587,000 at the time of the sale.

People Willing to Pay $10 Million for Jack Dorsey’s First Tweet

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
When you put it like that, this sounds even stupider.

You get a digital certificate that you paid thousands of dollars for. You get a digital certificate.

Basically you're buying proof that you're what Barnum said was born every minute.

Reactions: nofehr and NyQuil

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I feel like part of the fun of owning something valuable is the necessity to keep it safe. Like, with this you're just buying something and then that's it. All you can do is look at it on a screen and tell people you spent money on it. At least with a card or a piece of artwork you have to do something with it - whether than means putting it in a closet for 30 years, hanging it on a wall, keeping it in your wallet, whatever.

It just seems like lazy exclusivity for exclusivity's sake, you're basically just buying a license to brag, and if your battery dies you can't even look at it. I don't see the appeal.

If you're really dead-set on it, at least wait until the boom is over, at that point NFTs will be no more valuable than the average sports card or artwork you find in a thrift store. This is just another game for wealthy people to play with each other while the plebs scrape and claw and pray for a piece.

Agreed. This seems so blatantly an attempt to create an artificial bubble. There's no value at the centre of it.

There's clearly people on one side of this that are motivated to pump up values and will get out making a tidy profit, and a bunch of others that are going to get swept up in hype and end up holding useless digital crap.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Agreed. This seems so blatantly an attempt to create an artificial bubble. There's no value at the centre of it.

There's clearly people on one side of this that are motivated to pump up values and will get out making a tidy profit, and a bunch of others that are going to get swept up in hype and end up holding useless digital crap.
It's basically an offshoot of cryptocurrency as I see it, using blockchains. People trying to give these digital "items" a value. Not my thing, but some are paying big money for them. It's also like art in a way...people like different things and I might be willing to pay $1M for a painting but you don't like it and might not be willing to give that money up. The pro leagues are getting into this NBA and NFL are involved and I think the NHL has also partnered with some media company to explore creating some as another source of revenue for the league.

A good read on what it is exactly and what they are trying to do to make money. Also shows how it's similar and different from physical collectables. How the NHL could embrace the NBA Top Shot revolution

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It's basically an offshoot of cryptocurrency as I see it, using blockchains. People trying to give these digital "items" a value. Not my thing, but some are paying big money for them. It's also like art in a way...people like different things and I might be willing to pay $1M for a painting but you don't like it and might not be willing to give that money up. The pro leagues are getting into this NBA and NFL are involved and I think the NHL has also partnered with some media company to explore creating some as another source of revenue for the league.

A good read on what it is exactly and what they are trying to do to make money. Also shows how it's similar and different from physical collectables. How the NHL could embrace the NBA Top Shot revolution

If you're a content creator that can cash in on this, it makes perfect sense. You get to sell something that has no cost to you at inflated values.

To me, it's all artificial value. That's true to some degree with all collectibles, but this takes it to an illogical extreme.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If you're a content creator that can cash in on this, it makes perfect sense. You get to sell something that has no cost to you at inflated values.

To me, it's all artificial value. That's true to some degree with all collectibles, but this takes it to an illogical extreme.

Look at bitcoin and other cryto blockchains. There is no physical currency, you can't even use it everywhere but people are paying big money to "invest" in them. Some have predicted that the grandpa of them all, Bitcoing, might be worth as much as $150K within the next 3 years I think it is. Tesla has purchased $1.5B worth of it...

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I still don't get it. I can just watch highlights for free online. Why would I spend $200K for a LeBron James highlight?

The "Supreme" effect. Low supply, high demand. The power of the internet. FOMO. Any combination of those things, for starters.
I'm still not understanding. Where is the value?

In some ways, it goes back to the old saying: For those that understand, no explanation is necessary; for those that don't, no explanation is enough.
Why is there value placed upon trading cards? They are just pieces of cardboard with a picture on it, aren't they? I can print that at home ... but my home-printed Wayne Gretzky rookie card won't sell for over a million dollars.
An educated guess as to why there is value here is a combination of high demand and low supply, investor bullishness, society's desire to collect both physical and digital things, and the joy of being part of a community with good vibes (which has been said about the NBA Top Shot community).

This is still stupid. If I buy a highlight clip of Alex Ovechkin's goal against Phoenix when he's on his back and sliding, that's the same thing as the clip that will exist on youtube or somewhere else. I'm not buying something unique.

Reactions: Korg

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
This is still stupid. If I buy a highlight clip of Alex Ovechkin's goal against Phoenix when he's on his back and sliding, that's the same thing as the clip that will exist on youtube or somewhere else. I'm not buying something unique.

Ah, but you see, you aren't purchasing the video clip, which is a series of ones and zeroes that can be replicated on any computer.

You're buying a digital certificate that says you paid money for this digital certificate that is attached to this video clip, which is theoretically non-reproducible and which other people can theoretically see that you "own", and which you can later sell to someone else willing to pay for this digital certificate (possibly using real money, and possibly using a theoretical digital token attached to a distributed computer network that you may have acquired using real money).

You see, that's the difference. You're spending money to place a theoretically contracturally-binding claim on a digital record that resides on millions of computers spread across the world. You're buying a hypothetical digital file, that happens to be using the video clip as an identifier, that you can then tell other people you "own" (maybe).

Now doesn't that sound so much better? There's nothing silly or stupid or nefarious about this at all and this is totally not snake oil.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Humans love to collect things. I think NFTs will be huge in things like online games. For example, having a skin for your in game player that you, and only you own

Are you willing to pay $50 or more for that skin? The electricity cost to generate a single NFT runs in the hundreds of kWh, and the skin is only going to function within the coding for a single game, so who is going to pay to generate the NFT attached to the skin? The company might front the cost, but they have to recoup their costs, so they're going to pass that onto consumers.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Humans love to collect things. I think NFTs will be huge in things like online games. For example, having a skin for your in game player that you, and only you own

That I could see. The technology can be used for cool things, it's just that this value boom that's going on right now is ridiculous. It will calm down like any other market to the point where .00001% of what's out there may be worth something and the rest is generally worth nothing.

MikeFolignosHelmet

Fan of the game
Sponsor
Dec 24, 2018
Banner Elk, NC
Are you willing to pay $50 or more for that skin? The electricity cost to generate a single NFT runs in the hundreds of kWh, and the skin is only going to function within the coding for a single game, so who is going to pay to generate the NFT attached to the skin? The company might front the cost, but they have to recoup their costs, so they're going to pass that onto consumers.

Sure I'd pay $50 for a skin if I really like a game and plan to put in some hours. Others will pay more as we have already seen in the game skin markets.

Creating NFTs is going to be easy with tools like Digicol https://www.digicol.io/

NFTs will be everywhere. The digital generations will go all in.

Music is a great market for NFTs as well. Music NFTs Have Gone Mainstream. Who's In?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad