Speculation: Looking back on the Hamilton trade , should the Oilers have gave up Nurse

Mar 26, 2010
Not really.

Nurse or hamilton are NOT great D. Nurse is below average with Hamilton being slightly better.

DreamTheatre

Jul 7, 2008
Sylvan Lake, AB
How did this turn into a Larsson VS Hamilton thread?

The oilers need Larsson AND a Hamilton type.

Oilers would be set on the backend if we got Hamilton instead of Reinhart last year.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I like the Flames and Oilers . Reading these post would make you think the Flames have won 3 or 4 cups in a row . Most of them seems to be digs to start trouble .

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Because it's august.

God I want it to be October.

Me too.

Can't wait for the opening night Battle of Alberta. I want both the Flames and Oilers to be good, the NHL wins when we both have good teams. The rivalry actually means something when both teams are good, hockey fans are the ones who win when the Battle of Alberta has meaning to it again.

I actually have more of a hate on for the Cali teams than I do CGY and VAN right now. No Canadian teams in the playoffs was downright depressing, not hearing O Canada before playoff hockey (even if it's just the first round) felt wrong. We'll return to the full hatred when we have decent teams.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think Nurse+16 would've been a fair trade, regardless of circumstance. Hamilton is, at worst, an excellent 2nd pairing dman who can run the PP. I'd argue he can play as a #2 (did it in Boston), as well.

Nurse may have upside, but if you trade him for Hamilton, I think - again, at worst - you're getting someone as good as you hope Nurse might get. And Hamilton has a good chance at ending up the better player in the end, as well. 16th overall isn't too big a price to pay for that.

Can't wait for the opening night Battle of Alberta. I want both the Flames and Oilers to be good, the NHL wins when we both have good teams. The rivalry actually means something when both teams are good, hockey fans are the ones who win when the Battle of Alberta has meaning to it again.

True that. Although let's be clear, both teams should be good but the Flames have to be better. ;)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think Nurse+16 would've been a fair trade, regardless of circumstance. Hamilton is, at worst, an excellent 2nd pairing dman who can run the PP. I'd argue he can play as a #2 (did it in Boston), as well.

Nurse may have upside, but if you trade him for Hamilton, I think - again, at worst - you're getting someone as good as you hope Nurse might get. And Hamilton has a good chance at ending up the better player in the end, as well. 16th overall isn't too big a price to pay for that.

I think both are ideal 2nd pairing guys (they could be among the best 2nd pairing guys when they enter their peak years from about 26-32), but for different reasons.

Nurse will be more of a shutdown Dman who physically makes the game hell for other teams top players. Hamilton is more of an offensive Dman who also gets PP time. Whereas Nurse will see more special teams time on the PK.

Both have very good size and outstanding skating. They are actually good comparable players going forward and will be excellent #3/4 guys, but for different reasons.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
True that. Although let's be clear, both teams should be good but the Flames have to be better. ;)

**** no, time for us bully you like we did in the 80s :yo: (sans 1986 playoffs).

McDavid-Pulju v Monahan-Gaudreau will be a great matchup in the years to come. Bennett and Tkachuk against Drai's line will be an awesome 2nd line to watch compete over the years.

When you guys are playing any of the Cali teams I'm pulling for you guys (never thought I would say that, but no Canadian teams in the playoffs is a reality check), time to end their era and smugness they've shown over the years.

We need the Battle of Alberta to return as primetime television and the best rivalry in hockey. The genuine and meaningful hatred will come back when we're both good hockey teams again.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Me too.

I actually have more of a hate on for the Cali teams than I do CGY and VAN right now. No Canadian teams in the playoffs was downright depressing, not hearing O Canada before playoff hockey (even if it's just the first round) felt wrong. We'll return to the full hatred when we have decent teams.

Yep, can't wait till we see NBC complaining how no one outside of Western Canada is watching Edmonton vs Flames playoffs haha.

Kind of sucks how the first two games are BoA. Be nice to kick some rust off before hand. Larsson and Klefbom are probably going to be completely out of their element, which is to be expected in their circumstance. I'll talk a lot of **** but in the back of my head I won't judge them too bad until the January home and home.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yep, can't wait till we see NBC complaining how no one outside of Western Canada is watching Edmonton vs Flames playoffs haha.

Kind of sucks how the first two games are BoA. Be nice to kick some rust off before hand. Larsson and Klefbom are probably going to be completely out of their element, which is to be expected in their circumstance. I'll talk a lot of **** but in the back of my head I won't judge them too bad until the January home and home.

Yeah, I think the home and home in January will be the real test to see where we're both at.

****ing NBC and Eastern bias. Eichel and Matthews as the next big rivalry? Uhhh how about the Battle of Alberta? Best player in hockey with McDavid and two American superstars on CGY. Johnny Hockey and Tkachuk are easy American superstars to market. I laugh hearing "Marner will be better than Gaudreau" talk, Gaudreau is one of a kind and the exception to the rule for smaller guys.

Oh well, Western Canadians are used to Eastern ignorance. The only way to get their attention is by having unquestionably the best rivalry and intensely played hockey in the NHL. Both of us taking over the Pacific will force them to take notice. Cali's day in the sun is coming to a close. The Western Canadian road trip through our barns in the freezing winter will be the real "Death Valley" in the coming years.

A playoff battle in the coming years will be epic and off the charts. The crowds would be absolutely insane and spine tingling, hockey fans from across the NHL would be the ones who win if we get to see a Battle of Alberta playoff showdown.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
He added 8 pounds in the offseason so he sits at 6'4.5 and weighs 213lbs. Oilers know they have a physical top 4 dman in Nurse. He's got a good reach too. One of the few Oilers I like :laugh:

This.

I'm a Canucks fan so I can unbiasly say even if he tops out at a 4th dman, his going to bring in that grit and push back that carries a lot of value.

Edmonton should not trade him, especially while he's still developing, with a very young squad, and the team still hasn't turned on the corner on being competitive.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This.

I'm a Canucks fan so I can unbiasly say even if he tops out at a 4th dman, his going to bring in that grit and push back that carries a lot of value.

Edmonton should not trade him, especially while he's still developing, with a very young squad, and the team still hasn't turned on the corner on being competitive.

He's a player any team would want on their roster. He doesn't need to be a #1 Dman or PP guy to play a crucial role on our team in the future. Seriously, for example imagine for a second Nurse was a Canuck, Flame, or Jet. You guys would love him.

He's intimidating and a physical presence right now, he's still young and growing into his body. When he's 25, he'll be downright frightening to play against and a guy everyone would want in their locker room.

He won't be a #1 offensive Dman who racks up huge PP points. That won't be his game. He'll be a 2nd pairing shutdown guy who plays on the first team PK making life miserable for opponents in the defensive zone.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
He's a player any team would want on their roster. He doesn't need to be a #1 Dman or PP guy to play a crucial role on our team in the future. Seriously, for example imagine for a second Nurse was a Canuck, Flame, or Jet. You guys would love him.

He's intimidating and a physical presence right now, he's still young and growing into his body. When he's 25, he'll be downright frightening to play against and a guy everyone would want in their locker room.

He won't be a #1 offensive Dman who racks up huge PP points. That won't be his game. He'll be a 2nd pairing shutdown guy who plays on the first team PK making life miserable for opponents in the defensive zone.

Yea.. that's wat i'm sayin'

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yeah, I think the home and home in January will be the real test to see where we're both at.

****ing NBC and Eastern bias. Eichel and Matthews as the next big rivalry? Uhhh how about the Battle of Alberta? Best player in hockey with McDavid and two American superstars on CGY. Johnny Hockey and Tkachuk are easy American superstars to market. I laugh hearing "Marner will be better than Gaudreau" talk, Gaudreau is one of a kind and the exception to the rule for smaller guys.

Oh well, Western Canadians are used to Eastern ignorance. The only way to get their attention is by having unquestionably the best rivalry and intensely played hockey in the NHL. Both of us taking over the Pacific will force them to take notice. Cali's day in the sun is coming to a close. The Western Canadian road trip through our barns in the freezing winter will be the real "Death Valley" in the coming years.

A playoff battle in the coming years will be epic and off the charts. The crowds would be absolutely insane and spine tingling, hockey fans from across the NHL would be the ones who win if we get to see a Battle of Alberta playoff showdown.

I mean, Alberta has half the population of New Jersey. It makes sense.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I mean, Alberta has half the population of New Jersey. It makes sense.

Plus the Flames and Oilers haven't exactly been powerhouses in a long time. When both teams are on, the Battle of Alberta is the best rivalry in the NHL. The hate and product on the ice is a treat for hockey fans everywhere.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If I had to play the scenario...

IF Edmonton had taken the Nurse + 1st (1st + 2 seconds was rejected) trade, the top 3 looks like this:

Klef, Hamilton, Sekara... Davidson

Calgary I'd assume would still hit the same guys in the second round... but would a trade like 15th OA for Severson and small + have made sense for both teams that TDL (NJD gets young forward, we get a young top 4)? We'd then have this in an alternate universe:

Gio, Brodie, Severson... Wideman (Assume Russell still traded... but I guess it's also possible he isn't traded due to us having more cap space)

Ignoring salary implications because Chia would have made it work... That's a reasonable Top 4 on both sides of the BOA.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I thought Hamilton was considered to have had a disappointing year in Calgary?....and they gave up a ton to Boston to acquire him.....Oilers are probably better off with Larsson, although Hall is still an overpayment imo.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I thought Hamilton was considered to have had a disappointing year in Calgary?....and they gave up a ton to Boston to acquire him.....Oilers are probably better off with Larsson, although Hall is still an overpayment imo.

Had a rough start. Even that was blown out of proportion. Brodie was gone and Gio wasn't himself. Dougie got #1 duties thrust on him in a new system and he just couldn't handle it. He shouldn't have had to though.

Russell was his main partner so his Corsi took a massive hit compared to being with Chara. Away from Russell though he was at 53%. Problem solved for next year. His numbers were top pairing when with Brodie or Gio.

Then he got 43 points with a slow start and Hartley for some reason not giving him PP time the first half of the year. 2nd half him and Gio were a fantastic PP duo.

I expect him to crack 50 points this year. Jokki will probably be his main partner. Isn't ideal but should be good.

Boumsalot

Sponge boob
Dec 15, 2014
At Home

He had an awful start that's for sure, but he really picked it up and showed some top line potential near the end of the season.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
No you don't. Because that doesn't make sense. Did the jets get Laine in the Ladd trade because they finished 7th last because of it?

Except those things aren't connected. Are you suggesting it's merely a coincidence that the Oilers brought Lucic and Demers in for a tour, and after trading a forward for a dman, signed the forward, and didn't offer the dman a contract?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
They should've used their picks to draft Chabot at 16, Roy at 32, maybe trade up for another D like Meloche or Lauzon in the 2nd round. Hamilton is too Franson-y to invest in as much as he'd cost and Reinhart was a disaster seen from a mile away. Or trade Hall last year when his value was probably higher. A Nurse-Roy 2nd pairing would have been something to behold

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad