Speculation: Looking back at the Rumored LA Offer for Andrei Markov...

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
So teams win the cup without being a contender? Some teams win then lose in the 1st round the next year...I guess those teams are not contenders?

Ridiculous.

For just about anybody else in the world, a contender is as somebody with a chance to win it all. The Habs definitely had a chance at that this year.

I was using your silly logic. It's all about how that team is built and how they can compete in the playoffs. You can to to the ECF and still not be a contender. A contender is about longgevity and a core.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's the Habs fault that they used him as their #1 IMO. Personally, I would trade any player that I figured would walk in free agency. I know other teams don't do that but I would do things differently.

Sure, but even if PK was used more often, as he should have, Markov would still have been our #2. And right now, on the open market, there's no better options either.
So again, it makes very little sense to sell one of your most key player about a month before the POs.

I don't think you would have done anything differently to be honest. Moving Markov doesn't make you better, in any way, on defense, and there's no real interesting replacement available. You get interesting prospects up front, great, and then what? Move some of our other prospects to grab a #2???
Seems like a pretty terrible idea.

Not only that, but I don't think any owner would give you the green light to give away such a key piece one month prior to POs. They will not risk losing so much PO revenue. Not going to happen.
It's one thing if your team is a PO bubble one, on the outside, with a tough schedule, with injuries, in need of a miracle to really get through the 1st PO rd, and it's entirely different when you're at the top of the conference, with a healthy squad.
Don't kid yourself buddy. No way your bosses approve this trade.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I was using your silly logic. It's all about how that team is built and how they can compete in the playoffs. You can to to the ECF and still not be a contender. A contender is about longgevity and a core.
If you want to be literal, a contender is simply someone that contends for a championship and that's basically what the POs are.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Sure, but even if PK was used more often, as he should have, Markov would still have been our #2. And right now, on the open market, there's no better options either.
So again, it makes very little sense to sell one of your most key player about a month before the POs.

I don't think you would have done anything differently to be honest. Moving Markov doesn't make you better, in any way, on defense, and there's no real interesting replacement available. You get interesting prospects up front, great, and then what? Move some of our other prospects to grab a #2???
Seems like a pretty terrible idea.

Not only that, but I don't think any owner would give you the green light to give away such a key piece one month prior to POs. They will not risk losing so much PO revenue. Not going to happen.
It's one thing if your team is a PO bubble one, on the outside, with a tough schedule, with injuries, in need of a miracle to really get through the 1st PO rd, and it's entirely different when you're at the top of the conference, with a healthy squad.
Don't kid yourself buddy. No way your bosses approve this trade.

I would have tried to work out a deal and have him signed early. Bergy might have tried to do this. I just hate taking chances with impending free agents.

As a Gm, if I have to approve trades with my bosses then I look for a new job. Does the team want to compete for many years to come or get to the ECF every few years? That's what I'd ask them.

Then give Subban 8M and tell MT to play the kids.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I would have tried to work out a deal and have him signed early. Bergy might have tried to do this. I just hate taking chances with impending free agents.

As a Gm, if I have to approve trades with my bosses then I look for a new job. Does the team want to compete for many years to come or get to the ECF every few years? That's what I'd ask them.

Then give Subban 8M and tell MT to play the kids.

We're not talking about a minor transaction here. We're talking about a big decision to move a key player at the end of the season just as you're solidifying your position for the POs. A trade that could potentially cost you the POs. It's in your very best interest to discuss such a decision with your boss.
If you take a big decision without consulting with your boss that ends up costing him millions of dollars, ya, you might get more than just a slap on the wrists.

Also, trading Markov does not guarantee you'll be a more competitive team for years to come.

I do agree though, I hate losing free agents for nothing, and I certainly would try everything not to let that happen. However, I'm also aware that it can sometimes be inevitable.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

My silly logic?

The definition of a contender means a team with a chance to win it all. The Habs finished 8h overall and got to within 2 wins of the cup final, to anybody but you, that's a contender.

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
You don't take a team who got 100 pts in the regular season and trade one of their best defensemen come playoff time. That's sending the wrong message to the team. I'm more than happy about our run, and the experience all the players gained; especially Carey and PK.

Markov is well past his expiry date shouldve dumped him at the deadline for something...he was exposed big time in playoffs...

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
My silly logic?

The definition of a contender means a team with a chance to win it all. The Habs finished 8h overall and got to within 2 wins of the cup final, to anybody but you, that's a contender.

No, lol. Montreal has a good core, but not good enough yet.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I think Bergevin wanted to take his team as far as possible in these playoffs to;

1) Make money with playoff games
2) Find out how good his team's players are and which would perform well in the playoffs, accomplished.
3) Find the deficiencies in the team's system and what players are necessary to carry them through to the Finals.
4) Get a prolific scoring forward, Vanek for a pittance, to prove how close his team is to winning the SC.
5) Get the go-ahead to delve into the UFA market and get the necessary players to bring the Habs over the top or become ELITE!
6) Markov certainly was key to making the playoffs and the run, depending upon the Salary Cap restrictions and say signing all of the Habs young stars & UFA's will determine the length & cost of a Markov contract without a NMC/NTC, in case a trade improves the Habs long term plans.
7) This has to be foremost in a GM's plans and also leaves room for a possible trade too, negating losing him through the UFA market for no return as happened in the past with Gainey and other Hab GM's.
8) I haven't talked with Marc this week so don't quote me or ask him about these details, I don't want to lose my bonus this Xmas!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I think Bergevin wanted to take his team as far as possible in these playoffs to;

1) Make money with playoff games
2) Find out how good his team's players are and which would perform well in the playoffs, accomplished.
3) Find the deficiencies in the team's system and what players are necessary to carry them through to the Finals.
4) Get a prolific scoring forward, Vanek for a pittance, to prove how close his team is to winning the SC.
5) Get the go-ahead to delve into the UFA market and get the necessary players to bring the Habs over the top or become ELITE!
6) Markov certainly was key to making the playoffs and the run, depending upon the Salary Cap restrictions and say signing all of the Habs young stars & UFA's will determine the length & cost of a Markov contract without a NMC/NTC, in case a trade improves the Habs long term plans.
7) This has to be foremost in a GM's plans and also leaves room for a possible trade too, negating losing him through the UFA market for no return as happened in the past with Gainey and other Hab GM's.
8) I haven't talked with Marc this week so don't quote me or ask him about these details, I don't want to lose my bonus this Xmas!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think you missed the obvious:

1) This is what every GM in the league is trying to do. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad