Speculation: Looking back at the Rumored LA Offer for Andrei Markov...

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
It's easy to have 20/20 Hindsight, but just wondering what the general feeling is now... Remember it was rumored at the Trade Deadline that the LA Kings were pursuing Markov and supposedly offered Kyle Clifford, Tanner Pearson and a 1st round pick for his services.

Should we have taken that deal?

habs999

Jan 19, 2014
If that rumour was true then yes we definitely should of made that trade. Markov is still a good defensemen but man was he ever slow towards the end of the playoffs.

DoctorPurple

Jun 9, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Long time lurker on these boards, finally getting my first post!

I say no. Markov contributed to this playoff run and without him I don't think we make the Eastern Conference Final. I think keeping him just for that was worth it.

Now in the long haul, hard to know if Clifford and Pearson are going to be solid long-term. Better keep with the devil you know.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Was that this year? I doubt that for some reason. If it was this year - tough to say. Probably not, because our D would be even worse. Who knows if we would have gone as far or even made the playoffs?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In our position, I doubt we would have made this happen. Clearly Bergevin believed in this team, he went after Vanek, he was a buyer, not a seller.
Get rid of Markov, who was used by Therrien as our #1 Dman, and our D corps looks horrendous. We probably don't make the POs.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
You don't take a team who got 100 pts in the regular season and trade one of their best defensemen come playoff time. That's sending the wrong message to the team. I'm more than happy about our run, and the experience all the players gained; especially Carey and PK.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think the rumour is backwards.

Bergevin requested pearson, glass, 1st; LA said no.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
It's not that Markov is THAT great anymore (he was a beast up to his knee injuries), but our bottom-4 is too bad to trade him. You can'T have only Subban as your only proven puck moving D. Beaulieu impressed me in the playoffs for his poise, which he didn't show in the season, but can't be relied on yet.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I doubt Lombardi offered any of that, MTL may have asked for that. No way Lombardi offered a 1st and Pearson.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Wasn't this in 12/13 while Markov still had another year on his contract?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
It's not that Markov is THAT great anymore (he was a beast up to his knee injuries), but our bottom-4 is too bad to trade him. You can'T have only Subban as your only proven puck moving D. Beaulieu impressed me in the playoffs for his poise, which he didn't show in the season, but can't be relied on yet.

Maybe not offensively. He was sheltered this year but he pretty much didn't get scored on, season or playoffs. Time to see what happens when he is less sheltered.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
That was some posters fantasy of what they wanted to get for Markov. It was never an official or unofficial rumour for that matter.

Halifaxhab*

It's easy to have 20/20 Hindsight, but just wondering what the general feeling is now... Remember it was rumored at the Trade Deadline that the LA Kings were pursuing Markov and supposedly offered Kyle Clifford, Tanner Pearson and a 1st round pick for his services.

Absolutely, but

I think the rumour is backwards.

Bergevin requested pearson, glass, 1st; LA said no.

I think this is closer to reality.

The Kings needed more LW. And besides, it seems inaction on this proved to work out well as they have to win only 1 more game.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Nope. Bergevin made it pretty clear we were trying to compete. We don't make our playoff run without Markov in the lineup. He helped take the team to game 6 of the ECF, which was a huge learning experience for the team's core.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Doubt that was true as Bergs was on 690 on March 5th saying trade value on rentals was weak this past trade deadline

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
As long as Markov is back I'd be happy with making the conference finals (and possibly making the Cup finals with a healthy Price) over the 29th overall pick in a weak draft and a couple bottom six players.

Andrew MacDonald only got a 2nd and a 3rd, Vanek got a second and a prospect who's been declining and Gaborik cost next to nothing so I doubt this offer was even true anyways.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

I heard a few rumors but none had them offering those 3 pieces. I heard Toffoli and Pearson were not available. Makes it hard to speculate...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad