Looking Back at the Heatley Trade

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Didn't San Jose use Heatley to

Based on what Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic got back in return for their disgruntled players after waiting it out, I'm inclined to agree Murray should've played hardball with Heatley.
In fairness, Yzerman and Sakic's players didnt have ntc's though. We would have gotten more for him if we werent forced to trade him to the one team he wanted.

Reactions: topshelf15

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Heatley was not declining when he left. 82 points in his first year in San Jose. Then a drop down to 64 the next year. I doubt many would have predicted that decline back in 09. Easy to say now “well we all saw the decline about to happen.”

No we didn’t.

Yeah for sure, i didnt see that level of decline happening at the time either. But Clouston had gotten in a battle over ice time with Heater and he wasnt his old self. First many of us were thinking he wanted out because of Clouston and the ice time drop. That when Heatley said- you'll see, in response to why he wanted out, he meant we'd see how bad the coach was. But in hindsight im starting to think he meant we'd see how loony the owner was. Still never really cleared up that remark was what i was pondering.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
In fairness, Yzerman and Sakic's players didnt have ntc's though. We would have gotten more for him if we werent forced to trade him to the one team he wanted.

Well, St. Louis did have Yzerman in a tough spot. Only would go to the Rangers. They got Callahan and two first round picks I believe. Not a bad haul for a guy in his mid to late thirties.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well, St. Louis did have Yzerman in a tough spot. Only would go to the Rangers. They got Callahan and two first round picks I believe. Not a bad haul for a guy in his mid to late thirties.
Oh thats right, i was only thinking of Drouin. That surprised me, why would the Rangers have any motivation to give up anything of value.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Oh thats right, i was only thinking of Drouin. That surprised me, why would the Rangers have any motivation to give up anything of value.

Well, they did go to the finals that year, and one of the picks was a conditional 2nd that became a first since they made it that far. Not sure what Tampa did with the picks though, but at the time it was good value I thought.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well, they did go to the finals that year, and one of the picks was a conditional 2nd that became a first since they made it that far. Not sure what Tampa did with the picks though, but at the time it was good value I thought.
Agreed. NYR had made it fairly known Cally wouldnt be re-signed too iirc, so giving him up as part of it made sense.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Horrible trade for Ottawa. The reputation the team took and how disorganized Murray was in dealing with this was a sign of things to come. It hurt the franchise and was the first step towards disfunction that got us to where we are today.

Heatley almost had as many points in his time in San Jose as everything we got back in the deal. He was still a good player and the return was not equivalent to anything we imagined we'd get.

Tim Murray was heavily involved in this trade and he has a brutal, brutal trade record.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That was a bit of a strange one in that the rangers wanted St.Louis real bad, and it was no secret. Great return for Yzerman, but a bit of a lightning in a bottle situation.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Value-wise it was awful.

You mean in perceived value by hockey fans yes, but those who knew who Michalek was, could see that he was a young player on the rise, and those who knew who Heatley was, saw a star player that could be on the decline very soon.

- Michalek was a soon-to-be 25 y/o signed at a 4.33 AAV for 5 more years, averaging 62 pts per 82 games in his last 3 years. It was like getting a young Ehlers (don't have a better comparison right now)
- A 2nd round pick is always a good asset to have
- And Jonathan Cheechoo was a reclamation project that was unlikely to work out but it was more a cap dump than anything (2 years left x 3.0)

- Heatley was a soon-to-be 29 y/o signed at a 7.5 AAV for 5 more years, he was coming back from a significant production drop in 2008-09 (23 pts less looking at paces). He had an injury history and a decline was probably already on the horizon
- A 5th round pick

Salary in : 30.0 (1 player x 5 years + 1 player x 2 years)
Salary out : 35.0 (1 player x 5 years)

Heatley had a good first year with San Jose in 2009-10 but then started to fall off a cliff rapidly.

Unfortunately, Heatley put the Sens in a very bad position so it diminished his return. If not, Sens could have gotten another good asset making it a pure robbery.

Always felt they rushed it. They should have let it play out a little longer and see if they could have got more.

Couldn't wait any longer, at this point it was a cancerous relation with the coach, the organization and probably some players.

Yeah that's not how you do it. Michalek sucked outside of the one year plus stretches. Heatley out scored him every year. Would have been our top scorer even though as people say he started to go "downhill".
Heatley and spezza were the best duo we've ever had. Dominant. Michalek was never a part of anything like that.
More games with an underperformer is not a bonus.
More goals in over 200 more games? I would hope so

He asked for a trade so ok trade him. But not for anything less than his value(a top scorer in the league).

Another terrible trade by Ottawa.

Problem is you're looking at 2005-06 & 2006-07 Heatley

Michalek was the definition of a 200ft player, always contributing even when not scoring (he did average 23 goals and 22 assists per 82 games in 412 games for the Sens), and doing it for much cheaper. Heatley was a floater and uni-dimensional and became vastly overpaid very quick, even though San Jose offense was much deeper than what the Sens had to offer to Michalek.

Heatley's decline and attitude in the next 2 years is one of the big reasons the Sens stopped being an elite team. He was great when the team was great but when adversity showed up, he sunk the team even more.

Why are we looking back at the Heatley trade again?

Did we not spend the better part of half a decade debating this one already? :laugh:

Because for people who haven't read the board much (probably the OP), it is a bit "surprising" to see that some people refer to this trade as a "terrible" one when it's evident that we dodged a very big bullet and got the better out of it in the end (even if marginal)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I have read so many times how great of a return Yzerman got for St.Louis but looking it at it more closely, it's really not that great

New York Rangers acquireDateTampa Bay Lightning acquire
New_York_Rangers.gif
Martin St. Louis
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
March 5, 2014
2014 conditional 2nd round pick
2015 1st round pick
Ryan Callahan
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Comment:Should the Rangers advance to the 2014 Eastern Conference Final, the 2014 second-rounder would become a first-round pick. In the event Callahan should re-sign with the Lightning, the Rangers would receive Tampa Bay`s second-round pick at the 2015 NHL Draft while the Lightning would receive the Rangers` seventh-round draft pick in 2015.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

First, let's note that Martin St.Louis was a great contributor for NYR and one of the biggest reasons why the Rangers had 2 deep playoffs run with him.

Callahan re-signed with the Lightning so the Rangers also received Tampa's 2nd round pick in 2015. That pick got traded twice and finally the Flames picked up Oliver Kylington with it.

Callahan's contract is probably the worst in the NHL. 6 years x 5.8 AAV. He had a good first season with TB but his production significantly dropped right after that. In Sens land, it would be like having Burrows at 5.8 for 5 years.

The positive that the Lightning got out of this deal is 2 late first round picks. The 28th OA pick in 2014, that was traded again and finally the NYI drafted Josh Ho-Sang with it. And the 28th OA pick in 2015, that was traded again and finally the NYI drafted Anthony Beauvillier with it

Would have been a better deal for Tampa if they didn't re-sign Callahan. Because of it, they lost a 2nd round pick and are stuck with an awful contract.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
But shouldn't we look back on trades after time has past, and not the day after?

You could do that for other trades as well. You could use this thread for that. It would be funny to find out that Bobby Ryan is still outscoring the magical return despite a gigantic amount of injuries lol

Reactions: Polansky

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Rushed it? They didn’t deal him until the first day of camp. You think they should have just made him play until they got a great deal? What if he got hurt? What if teams interested played well and decided they didn’t want him? Also, it’s such a distraction to have a guy around who doesn’t want to be here.

Heatley held all the cards with his NTC. I don’t know this for sure, but I think he wanted San Jose all along, meaning he wouldn’t waive unless he got to go there. Even if I’m wrong, he probably had a short list of teams he would be willing to go to. He ****ed us over big time. I don’t care that it’s been almost a decade. He’s a piece of ****.

It is what Colorado did with Duchene, it worked for them. And yes he is a POS!

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I think the positives of this deal were we shrewdly traded Heatley right before his decline and we probably did win the deal in the end. But ya it was a pretty brutal deal, as most deals are when star talents get traded. Murray was definitely a little hamstrung on this one.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Reactions: Polansky

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Wrong Heatley trade but I preferred Hossa and believe Muckler was flexing his muscles with the initial deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad