Speculation: Looking ahead to next season's goalie market

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So with the expansion draft coming next year I decided to look at the goalie market and I realized there could be a lot of good goalies on the block and at the moment not a lot of starter spots to be had.

First lets look at some of the goalies that could hit the market at season we have

Ben Bishop
MAF
Kari
Niemi
Brian Elliott
Jimmy Howard
Steve Mason
Michel Nurvirth
Varlamov
Ryan Miller
Tomas Greiss
Jaro Halak

That's 12 guys that could need jobs at seasons end some of them are legitimate starting goalies.

The problem with that is there isn't going to be 12 starting positions

Now I think we can knock a couple guys off the list because I can't see Elliott not signing in Calgary unless for some odd reason he just hates Calgary.

I can't see Colorado getting rid of Varlamov either, that would be incredibly stupid.

so that leaves 10 guys now I have no doubt Bishop and MAF will find starting jobs so that brings us to 8.

but beyond that there is going to be a lot of quality guys looking for work and most teams already have their guy and the ones that don't, like Carolina can't really bring in a new #1 with both Ward and Lack making fairly significant money.

I know people will bring up Vancouver but it sounds like they are going with Markstrom after after Miller leaves.

Is the expansion draft causing this?

or have we finally reached the point where goaltending is so good that guys that would normally be starters now have to take backup roles?

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I think Niemi, Lehtonen, Miller and Howard's days as a starter are coming to an end. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dallas duo end up playing in Europe next year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think Niemi, Lehtonen, Miller and Howard's days as a starter are coming to an end. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dallas duo end up playing in Europe next year.

Someone will take them, while not many starter spots to be had there are some teams looking for backups

Toronto Pittsburg, Vancouver will likely all need a backup

Even if Enroth signs with one of them for this year it's. likely a 1 year deal at this point.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Quick thoughts, players

Starters

Starters
Bishop-Dallas-They need a goalie BAD they're attractive to free agents who have their pick of the liter.

Nurvirth I'm going out on a limb here and saying he has another good year. In which case why would Philly not resign him and make him the starter

Varlamov-He's the man in Colorado and without him Coloarado would have a huge hole, so why won't he resign.

Second Tier starters

Brian Elliott-Calgary-underrated, home town connection. He resigns with Calgary and gets to be the man for a few more years.
MAF-Vancouver (I'm assuming Markstrom doesn't work out)
Tomas Greiss-Islanders, he's already eclipsed Halak on the Island. I think he'll be the man in 2017.

1Bs
Steve Mason-No idea
Jaro Halak-Detroit is going to need a good 1B to go with Mrazek. Halak provides an upgrade over Howard

20 game backups
Niemi-NYI, to backup Greiss
Ryan Miller-Southern California, Vancouver, Detroit Buffalo or retirement
Jimmy Howard-I don't know. Dallas needs a backup.
Kari-Again I don't know, Tampa maybe?

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Quick thoughts, players

Starters

Starters
Bishop-Dallas-They need a goalie BAD they're attractive to free agents who have their pick of the liter.

Nurvirth I'm going out on a limb here and saying he has another good year. In which case why would Philly not resign him and make him the starter

Varlamov-He's the man in Colorado and without him Coloarado would have a huge hole, so why won't he resign.

Second Tier starters

Brian Elliott-Calgary-underrated, home town connection. He resigns with Calgary and gets to be the man for a few more years.
MAF-Vancouver (I'm assuming Markstrom doesn't work out)
Tomas Greiss-Islanders, he's already eclipsed Halak on the Island. I think he'll be the man in 2017.

1Bs
Steve Mason-No idea
Jaro Halak-Detroit is going to need a good 1B to go with Mrazek. Halak provides an upgrade over Howard

20 game backups
Niemi-NYI, to backup Greiss
Ryan Miller-Southern California, Buffalo or retirement
Jimmy Howard-I don't know. Dallas needs a backup.
Kari-Again I don't know, Tampa maybe?

Based on what you have there I could see Mason in Toronto we are going to need a permanent stable backup.

I however think Mason is the one that stays in philly.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Varlamov has 2 years left on his deal at the end of the season and you even said you don't see why we'd get rid of him, so why bring him up in the first place? There's only a marginal chance he leaves, that's basically if we hit lightning in a bottle with Pickard this year and decide to let Varly get drafted by the expansion club. Otherwise Avs will likely ride out the Varly/Picks tandem for the next 2 years that they're signed for and then re-evaluate in Varly's last season when Pickard has to be re-signed.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Varlamov has 2 years left on his deal at the end of the season and you even said you don't see why we'd get rid of him, so why bring him up in the first place? There's only a marginal chance he leaves, that's basically if we hit lightning in a bottle with Pickard this year and decide to let Varly get drafted by the expansion club. Otherwise Avs will likely ride out the Varly/Picks tandem for the next 2 years that they're signed for and then re-evaluate in Varly's last season when Pickard has to be re-signed.

Because I have seen vas fans bring up the possibility of trading or exposing him.

Last edited:

Bronz

Oct 21, 2013
I could see Mason going to Dallas to reunite with their goalie coach Jeff Reese, who ressurected his career in Philly. He always wouldn't demand 7 mill for 7 years, which is apparently Ben Bishop's asking price. I could see Mason going for 5 mill for 4 years, which would be a lot more palatable for Dallas.

Unless Mrazek craps the bed, which seems unlikely as he has showcased all the periphials and eye tests of a soon to be, if not already...stud goalie...there is no way Detroit goes and gets someone they would need to pay more then 2 million a year.

Varlamov could be gone in Colorado if he has a sub par year. I actually see this as the most likely destination for Ben Bishop if Colorado can't get over the hump this year.

MAF seems the most likely candidate for Vegas.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I could see Mason going to Dallas to reunite with their goalie coach Jeff Reese, who ressurected his career in Philly. He always wouldn't demand 7 mill for 7 years, which is apparently Ben Bishop's asking price. I could see Mason going for 5 mill for 4 years, which would be a lot more palatable for Dallas.

Unless Mrazek craps the bed, which seems unlikely as he has showcased all the periphials and eye tests of a soon to be, if not already...stud goalie...there is no way Detroit goes and gets someone they would need to pay more then 2 million a year.

Varlamov could be gone in Colorado if he has a sub par year. I actually see this as the most likely destination for Ben Bishop if Colorado can't get over the hump this year.

MAF seems the most likely candidate for Vegas.

MAF can't be exposed he has a NMC

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think Kap would be a bit of an overpay. I would throw names like Rychel, Bracco, Timashov and Soshnikov on the table, though.

I think Bracco would be fair he is starting to get pushed done the prospect depth chart.

we should keep Timashov

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

I could see someone giving Lehtonen a short reclamation contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad