Looking ahead - The 2019-20 roster thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I would like to see Frost at 3C if he doesn't get pawned in the position by the opposition. He isn't a wing. That's been illustrated in his international play. He's not a mucked in the corners. He's a speed guy.
As for Farabee, the Flyers need to,be careful with him. If he isn't ready physically and psychologically, there's nothing wrong with letting him have another round of US collegiate hockey and then signing him next spring before the POs, which the Flyers should be in. Putting him in the A for other goons to wreck like they did with Morin isn't a good idea.
I like Frost starting at wing the same way I like G at wing.

I don’t like a plan of Patrick/Frost as 2/3C next year, unless you don’t plan on contending. To win the East you’re going to need 3 good centers. Can’t risk Frost and/or NP falling flat.

Frost can either start as 4C or a wing, if he earns it you can move someone else to W on a higher line. But less pressure starting at W, & his lack of strength can be better mitigated with lesser defensive responsibility.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
vka-juniors-0156-jpg.jpg

He looked more comfortable than thought. You don't lead your team in points by being uncomfortable, even if it's not his best position.

I want Frost at center too. I could see some early defensive issues there, so I'm okay with him being tried at wing, 3C depending. I'm okay with the struggles too, maybe with good defensive wingers. I don't give a **** if Frost and Farabee are both wings in the lineup if they're both in the lineup because that's a win. We need more talent; less role playing. We might end up with neither in the lineup out of camp.

The life of being a long time hockey goon really f***ed up Hunter’s face.

Reactions: orangey and Magua

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Look, if you have highly talented players, at some point you have to find out if they have the "right stuff."
It's extremely unlike we sign either Panarin or EK, the money will be the same everywhere ($11-12M) so it comes down to personal preference.
What 2C is available that we can obtain without stripping our farm system? Now if you can get one with a year or two left on their contract for a 2nd and 2nd tier prospect sure, but not our 1st rd pick or a top prospect.

Patrick had 22 ES points his rookie year, will probably finish with 30 this year. Odds are he'll be 40+ next year.
Next season Patrick and Frost will be 21, it's time to ride them. It's not like hoping 21 year old Rubtsov will be healthy and take a big step up, these two are top talents who've performed - Patrick had two injury marred seasons but is ready to breakout, Frost has excelled.
One reason I'm confident in Patrick is he plays a smart, two way game, he has top notch intangibles, these guys may take a little longer to develop, but they also have higher floors.

Farabee is more of a question, but mostly physical maturity, he was playing a fundamentally sound game at 18, TK still isn't fundamentally sound after 3 NHL seasons - some guys just have an innate feel for the game. Farabee plays in the dirty areas, so he needs enough strength to be effective. You can see the difference strength has made in Lindblom this year, but Farabee can compensate with speed and skill in a way Lindblom couldn't.

I'd rather add a veteran center who can play 3C or 4C, as insurance for Frost, because with Laughton and Hartman on wings, that could be your 3rd or 4th line. And it won't surprise me if one of LHV centers forces his way into the picture by January.

Reactions: baudib1

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
There's no Tavares or ROR available this offseason. I don't think Duchene is in that class. I don't think you can bring in a UFA center to play ahead of Patrick. You can't tie up years and money in a second-tier guy because you're afraid of letting Patrick/Frost play.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Heard some speculation that Duchene might go back to Ottawa. What a fail that would be giving up the 8th year.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Trade for Carter. 3 years left at $5MM. Play him at 3 C and if Frost is for real then Carter can play wing. You probably get 2 good seasons at least out of Carter.

1. Coots 2. Patrick 3. Carter 4. Frost
If Frost can handle 3C then they can out Laughton, Rubtsov or Mischa at 4C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad