Salary Cap: Look at next years budget

The Fuhr*

Actual salary committed next season... Lines may be off, my apologies.

?? - Spezza 4.0 - ??
Mcarthur 3.25 - Turris 3.5 - Ryan 5.563
Smith 1.7 - Zibanejad .833 - Neil 2.1
Greening 2.0 - Pageu .660 - Condra 1.3

Karlsson 6.5 - Methot 3.75
Cowen 2.7 - Wiercioch 2.2
Borowiecki 0.6 - ??

Anderson 3.5
??

Say our budget is 54 million, gives us 10.0 to spend

- 3.5 to Lehner next season
- Leaves 6.5 for two top six forward and a defenseman

Hopefully we get to spend 60 million next season, make things a lot easier

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

?? - Spezza 4.0 - ??

Borowiecki 0.6 - ??

Anderson 3.5
??

54M may very well be below the floor so we will have to spend more. Based on what has been thrown about a 56M floor is more than likely.

And with where salaries are going, 6.5 will likely only buy a second line forward ......

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
54M may very well be below the floor so we will have to spend more. Based on what has been thrown about a 56M floor is more than likely.

And with where salaries are going, 6.5 will likely only buy a second line forward ......

Do not underestimate Euge's cheapness, im sure he could work something out with the league

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
This isn't entirely accurate. Cap is based on cap hits, not salaries.

Spezza's cap hit is 7.0. Greenings is around 3. Cowen's is around 3 as well (I'm not taking the time to look up teh exact amount). That alone adds around $4M to the cap structure. So really, Uncle Eugene only needs to spend around $7M to reach the floor. They could reach the floor, or even be a few million above it, but still be paying less in actual salaries.

I think it is pretty certain that Phillips gets a contract in the $2.5-$3M range, so there's your defence. I would assume that Weir, Boro and Ceci all will be fighting to not be the 7th Dman.

Lehner at $3.5 and Phillips at $2.5...that's $6M right there. I'm guessing that Murray will have have around $4M to spend on a forward, and then the other top 6 spot will be given to a prospect...probably Stone.

The Fuhr*

With our internal budget, cap hit is meaningless to us... Actual salary is all that matters

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Euge said he intends to have the team be a mid cap team so were lookin midway between 56 and 72 mil.......so 64 mil in cap hit is what hes promising or somewhere in that neighbourhood.....with that well buy a top 6 forward a top 4 dman and another project that wont work out ala latandresse....... dont expect huge spending expect just enough to shut us up.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Mcarthur 3.25 - Spezza 4.0 - Setoguchi 3.75
Hoffman .600 - Turris 3.5 - Ryan 5.563
Smith 1.7 - Zibanejad 1,744,167 - Neil 2.1

Phillips 3.0 - Ceci 1,369,167
Borowiecki 0.6

Anderson 3.5
Lehner 2.0

Based on salary, my guess.

Lehner starts off at 2m and slowly goes up like Cowen
I put in Ceci and Zibanejad at their top level including bonuses.
Resign Phillips.
Sign Setoguchi for a deal that starts at 3.75 then 4, 4.5 , 5.

Puts the internal budget at $55,786,334.
Remove the bonuses and it is $54,461,334.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax

?? - Spezza 4.0 - ??

Borowiecki 0.6 - ??

Anderson 3.5
??

Resign Phillips.
Sign Setoguchi for a deal that starts at 3.75 then 4, 4.5 , 5.

just a note we will sell at the deadline..........the team probably wont look quite like this next year ill bet my ass someone presently wearing a letter is gone to start next season.....that being said if you were bang on with this id be pissed because wed still be lacking a dman........ also i think paul stastny would be a possible player on our radar aside from seto. and id love to see it happen....If he doesnt resign in colorado.

stone700000 spezza4mil ryan5.6mil
macarthur3.25mil Turris3.5mil Setoguchi4mil
conacher1mil Stastny4.5mil Zibby1.7mil
greening2.0mil Pageau660000 Smith1.7mil/ Neil??2.1mil

Karlson6.5mil Methot3.75mil
cowen2.7mil xxxxxxx3.5mil
ceci600000 boro600000/Corvo900000 phillips??3mil

Anderson 3.5mil
Lehner2.5mil subtract offset players to make fisable..

Id kill to see this......i think stastnys next contract will be smaller then his last due to drop in production....but i think thats not his skills dropping off but more he doesnt carry as much load as he used to with the emergence of duchene and landeskog....

Roster would cost 57.16 mil without neil and phillips with them 62.26. in dollars spent but wed be around 66 to 67 in actual cap hit at the highest end...Also the addition of stastny would make it more fisable to move spezza atthe deadline next year if we bombed again.....leaving turis and stastny to play in a 1 and 1a setting....

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think I may have made an overly long post outlining this in another thread, but it's not a good thing for Ottawa if players salary are less than their actual cap hits.

An example is, if Spezza is making an average of 4.5, that means if Ottawa re-signs him for 8, he is effectively getting a 3.5 million dollar raise within Ottawa's budget. Yes, over the course of his contract he is making around the same as he was previously. But within Ottawa's internal budget that is 3.5 million that was available the previous year, that won't be the next.

If Ottawa still has an internal budget, they cannot sign anybody, that's the reality. Assuming everybody plays to, or near to their potential,they have Methot, Lehner, Ryan, MacArthur, and Spezza who all have to either have extensions, or new contracts over the next two years. Ryan at 35+ goals is an 8 million dollar player on the open market, Spezza likely is the same as well.

MacArthur is on pace for 25 goals, but accounting for his slow start, he may end up reaching 30. Two straight years of 30 goal scoring, and he's worth at least 5 (that's being conservative) on the open market.

Not sure what defenders go for these days, but is it outrageous to imagine somebody would offer Methot 4-5 million?

Lehner probably gets a bridge deal, and then if he becomes a legitimate top 10 starting goalie, Ottawa is looking at paying him 5+ million.

Ottawa has absolutely no space to add anything without ditching one of the big stars. Michalek and Anderson leaving barely makes room for them to retain Spezza, Ryan, Mac, Lehner, and Methot at raised salaries. Then you have the younger guys coming up who will command larger salaries eventually. Whoever is GM of Ottawa will be in a very tough spot.

exv91

Oct 13, 2011

Resign Phillips.Sign Setoguchi for a deal that starts at 3.75 then 4, 4.5 , 5.

never, never, never....that's blasphemy, madness

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
hard to say what is possible till Melnyk gives a number for the internal budget

even if we have money to spend it isn't like we will go crazy cause that never works

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
just a note we will sell at the deadline..........the team probably wont look quite like this next year ill bet my ass someone presently wearing a letter is gone to start next season.....that being said if you were bang on with this id be pissed because wed still be lacking a dman........ also i think paul stastny would be a possible player on our radar aside from seto. and id love to see it happen....If he doesnt resign in colorado.

stone700000 spezza4mil ryan5.6mil
macarthur3.25mil Turris3.5mil Setoguchi4mil
conacher1mil Stastny4.5mil Zibby1.7mil
greening2.0mil Pageau660000 Smith1.7mil/ Neil??2.1mil

Karlson6.5mil Methot3.75mil
cowen2.7mil xxxxxxx3.5mil
ceci600000 boro600000/Corvo900000 phillips??3mil

Anderson 3.5mil
Lehner2.5mil subtract offset players to make fisable..

Id kill to see this......i think stastnys next contract will be smaller then his last due to drop in production....but i think thats not his skills dropping off but more he doesnt carry as much load as he used to with the emergence of duchene and landeskog....

Roster would cost 57.16 mil without neil and phillips with them 62.26. in dollars spent but wed be around 66 to 67 in actual cap hit at the highest end...Also the addition of stastny would make it more fisable to move spezza atthe deadline next year if we bombed again.....leaving turis and stastny to play in a 1 and 1a setting....

Unless they feel he could be an effective winger, Ottawa doesn't need Statsny at center. Center is the one position where Ottawa has a ton of depth, Spezza, Turris, Smith, Pageau, Z-bad, or even Grant as a pesky fourth liner. Then there is Lazar coming up in maybe 3-5 years.

They could not afford Statsny. Statsnys contract was high at the time, but he'd probably get a similar deal on the open market. If you think Ottawa is going to get Stasny for 4.5 million, you're absolutely dreaming. With the cap going up, and GMs competing for free agents; 6.5 million for Statsny is not unrealistic.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Unless they feel he could be an effective winger, Ottawa doesn't need Statsny at center. Center is the one position where Ottawa has a ton of depth, Spezza, Turris, Smith, Pageau, Z-bad, or even Grant as a pesky fourth liner. Then there is Lazar coming up in maybe 3-5 years.

They could not afford Statsny. Statsnys contract was high at the time, but he'd probably get a similar deal on the open market. If you think Ottawa is going to get Stasny for 4.5 million, you're absolutely dreaming. With the cap going up, and GMs competing for free agents; 6.5 million for Statsny is not unrealistic.

fair enough....hed still be worth the 6.5 and i dare say he could be used on the wing... and if we could shed phillips neil and greening we could afford him. but even if we took him on to use at centre it would be fantastic remember when pitts still had staal its never a bad thing to have that kind of centre depth another good example would be los angelas so good up the middle the rest of there roster could be garbage and theyd still win. and to be honest bringing in stastny would mean your not going to end up resigning spezza for even more money to decay while he sucks up the budget....thus allowing him to be moved for likely a top6 forward a serviceable dman and a high pick and were also heavy stastny......sounds like a step in the right dirrection to me.....but what the hell do i know:sarcasm:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I'll believe the "mid cap team" thing when I see it. We are about to sell off assets and dump salaries, so how on Earth do we suddenly become a mid cap team next season?

The only way I see us being anywhere near the mid cap range next year is if he means cap hit, and we pile up a bunch of players like Spezza who have a cap hit of several MM above their actual salary.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
Eugene's cheapness really prevents us from icing the most competitive team that we can. This is getting absurd and is unacceptable. I hope something changes soon...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
hard to say what is possible till Melnyk gives a number for the internal budget

even if we have money to spend it isn't like we will go crazy cause that never works

Doesn't that new TV deal (and monies) kick in next year? Doesn't that give the team an extra 15-20 mil to play with?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
im fine with this team relocating, i will still cheer them on, and hopefully they can go and be a cap team with relocation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad