London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squats

Mar 27, 2013
I did, the Q'league will be the weakest of all 3 leagues this year at Memorial Cup Tourney, no "M"cup repeats for a while, if they do it will be because they play with a lot of emotion, it is what carried this team through the playoffs., I have seen 4 in total of their games on CHL live playoffs replays. Yes Drummondville played really well in the playoffs with an excellent defensive system to go with, they have earned their ticket to the big tourney, but they were also playing in (what I believe is) a watered down league this year, even with Baie Comeau finishing first. The Qs will be weak for 3 or 4 years to come, they are saying a low talent pool for the foreseeable future at prospect drafts. Drummondville have six players to really watch for, Ethan Gauthier led the team these playoffs but Luke Woodworth and Alexis Gendron are the ones that upped their plays big time, also have Mikael Huchette with experience on Remparts winning team last year. They have one very dangerous offensive D-man in Sam Oliver 9g-8a for 17pts these playoffs and a strong goaltender in Riley Mercer in net, the rest are just supportive staff on the team, you control these top players you will control their team., Resembling between Soo and Oshawa type team calibre IMHO -Seen them playing in early falls game in Val d'Or, a lot has changed since then
I'm from Drummondville and there are a lot of things wrong in this though. You're right, Drummondville won with their defensive system and stellar play of goalie Riley Mercer. This is a team that no matter if they lead or trail 3-0, they will play the same way. They're pretty much unshakeable which is crazy.

As for the watered down league, we hear that every year so I won't give any thoughts about that. It is however true that fewer players are drafted. As for the next few prospect drafts, the 2024 Q draft is considered an average one. However the 2025 draft is considered one of the best in the last decade if not the best so not sure where you got this info.

Sam Oliver is a forward, not a Dman. No one really stands out with their offensive core. Maybe Gauthier, Gendron and Woodworth. That is the strength of Drummondville. They have 3 solid lines, they play in a great team system. It's quite the opposite of ''if you control those players, you control their team''

As for the D core, they've been playing all playoffs without 1st round dman Maveric Lamoureux. Diotte and especially Komarov are absolute monsters at the blue line.

Drummondville will be good against teams with star players carrying their teams that lacks depth, because they're good at neutralizing any players, no matter how good they are. Their third line can neutralize any first line, any day. Note that I did not say outplay, but neutralize. This team got no real weakness but doesn't have spectacular offensive punch either. Expect close tight games.

Good luck to the Knights and let's have a great Mem. cup!

Additionnal notes:
Alexis Gendron - Blazing speed and great shot
Luke Woodworth - Exceptionnal IQ
Ethan Gauthier - Swiss army knife type of player. His grit and shot stands out
Vsevolod Komarov - Amazing poise and IQ no real issues in his game, except maybe skating. Awarded best Dman in reg. season and playoffs MVP. 5th round pick in the NHL but is a 1st rounder in a redraft.
Mikael Diotte - Typical physical defensive Dman. Awarded best defensive dman in reg. season

Last edited:

Wifi

Sep 21, 2023
George was a very good player in MM. No source to sight but my eye test was 1st rd potential. Now did Hinter tell him/agent/advisor to say that or was it more let's take a chance, sell him on the org. Or just call his bluff? That's what we don't know.
Rumors around rinks was US as well.

Not sure on the other 2 pre draft rankings but 2nd rd is not as big a "steal" as 4th. They went early 2nd as well I believe.so didn't drop much unless both were sure top 10 picks.
You also have to remember that Barkey, Cowan & Bonk missed their minor midget years. The scouts could only go off there bantam stats and maybe the odd practice.

Reactions: rve24

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I live in Drummondville and there are a lot of things wrong in this though. You're right, Drummondville won with their defensive system and stellar play of goalie Riley Mercer. This is a team that no matter if they lead or trail 3-0, they will play the same way. They're pretty much unshakeable which is crazy.

As for the watered down league, we hear that every year so I won't give any thoughts about that. It is however true that fewer players are drafted. As for the next few prospect drafts, the 2024 Q draft is considered an average one. However the 2025 draft is considered one of the best in the last decade if not the best so not sure where you got this info.

Sam Oliver is a forward, not a Dman. No one really stands out with their offensive core. Maybe Gauthier, Gendron and Woodworth. That is the strength of Drummondville. They have 3 solid lines, they play in a great team system. It's quite the opposite of ''if you control those players, you control their team''

As for the D core, they've been playing all playoffs without 1st round dman Maveric Lamoureux. Diotte and especially Komarov are absolute monsters at the blue line.

Drummondville will be good against teams with star players carrying their teams that lacks depth, because they're good at neutralizing any players, no matter how good they are. Their third line can neutralize any first line, any day. Note that I did not say outplay, but neutralize. This team got no real weakness but doesn't have spectacular offensive punch either. Expect close tight games.

Good luck to the Knights and let's have a great Mem. cup!

Additionnal notes:
Alexis Gendron - Blazing speed and great shot
Luke Woodworth - Exceptionnal IQ
Ethan Gauthier - Swiss army knife type of player. His grit and shot stands out
Vsevolod Komarov - Amazing poise and IQ no real issues in his game, except maybe skating. Awarded best Dman in reg. season and playoffs MVP. 5th round pick in the NHL but is a 1st rounder in a redraft.
Mikael Diotte - Typical physical defensive Dman. Awarded best defensive dman in reg. season
I have seen Drummondville play in Val d'Or early last falls, an overtime loss, I also live in Quebec about an hour south of Rouyn and 2 from North Bay. I am constantly watching junior games from all three Canadian leagues, the UISHL and some over sea as well. Unless Drummondville finds with a lot of emotion to charge up some extra energies at this short Memorial Cup tourney, I just don't see them winning this year. The OHL and Western junior Leagues are much more superior and especially in the OHL Western Conference, they are that much stronger still. I am not going to dispute the Voltigeurs talent on their team, no doubt they have some really great talent, it just might not be enough, it's for playing in a sub-par league plays that will hurt them in this short tourney. London and Saginaw will be the strongest team there, they are going to be really hard to beat, Drummondville and Moose Jaw are going to have to find some extras somewhere outside what they have already played in their respected league championships thus far. IMHO Bonne Chance mon cher ami!

Squats

Mar 27, 2013
I have seen Drummondville play in Val d'Or early last falls, an overtime loss, I also live in Quebec about an hour south of Rouyn and 2 from North Bay. I am constantly watching junior games from all three Canadian leagues, the UISHL and some over sea as well. Unless Drummondville finds with a lot of emotion to charge up some extra energies at this short Memorial Cup tourney, I just don't see them winning this year. The OHL and Western junior Leagues are much more superior and especially in the OHL Western Conference, they are that much stronger still. I am not going to dispute the Voltigeurs talent on their team, no doubt they have some really great talent, it just might not be enough, it's for playing in a sub-par league plays that will hurt them in this short tourney. London and Saginaw will be the strongest team there, they are going to be really hard to beat, Drummondville and Moose Jaw are going to have to find some extras somewhere outside what they have already played in their respected league championships thus far. IMHO Bonne Chance mon cher ami!

No doubt teams in WHL/OHL are probably more talented. The number of players drafted and the rounds they've been drafted in are just straight facts. With that said, I do not expect them to get blown out by London like they did to Oshawa. They got way more experience than Oshawa (3 mem. cup winners) and better goaltending/collective play than the Generals. Should be a great first game!

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Wow - I have Moose Jaw and London in the same tier. I think we will see them in the Finals, with Saginaw and Drummondville a tier lower.

You just can’t ignore Jagger Firkus, Brandon Yager, Matthew Savoie and that Mateychuk guy on their back end. All first round picks except for Firkus who was the WHL MVP this year.

Reactions: StormWatcher

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Decompressing (decomposing?) a bit since the championship win. Can’t understate how lucky this fanbase is. When I started watching as a kid in the 90s, London had 0 championships. They have 7 now (5 OHL + 2 Memorial Cup). Truly fortunate. Very cool that London now stands alone in third for OHL championships behind decorated franchises in the Oshawa Generals and Peterborough Petes.

Regardless of what happens in the Memorial Cup, this season has to be considered a success by winning the league championship. Memorial Cup is the ultimate goal but there is a degree of randomness/luck that you see more of in that tournament that is lessened over a long playoff run.

With the players back from suspension, the only missing piece is Alec Leonard. That hurts, but London’s D has done a good job in his absence.

Now, London is truly four lines deep if they choose to continue to play Brzustewicz at wing. He is more effective than the brothers but we’ll see what Dale900 does.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
No doubt teams in WHL/OHL are probably more talented. The number of players drafted and the rounds they've been drafted in are just straight facts. With that said, I do not expect them to get blown out by London like they did to Oshawa. They got way more experience than Oshawa (3 mem. cup winners) and better goaltending/collective play than the Generals. Should be a great first game!
Don't set your self up for surprise and disappointment, experienced in weaker league and league plays, is what I was trying to say here is it won't help in higher calibre play

Wow - I have Moose Jaw and London in the same tier. I think we will see them in the Finals, with Saginaw and Drummondville a tier lower.

You just can’t ignore Jagger Firkus, Brandon Yager, Matthew Savoie and that Mateychuk guy on their back end. All first round picks except for Firkus who was the WHL MVP this year.
Saying pretty much the same thing about Moose Jaw

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
The only thing I see where he might have a chance is if Bertuzzi does not get signed. His last contract is/was 5 mil. Cowan is a good fit and would come at a great price for that role. I too think he needs more time but you never know.

I think the Leafs will like the cheap factor based on where they are with cap/changes they'll have to make in the off season. I can't see him returning.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Moose Jaw has an insane top line and a half but seems like it falls off after that. If a team can keep the damage to a minimum from their top group, they can control the play. Drummonville seems really balanced. They don't have a ton of major names but do have a ton of guys that contribute. I don't think Moose Jaw is deep enough to win it. Drummondville could be sneaky. London is that perfect combo of talent and depth. Saginaw isn't too far behind that. Should be interesting.

Reactions: tjziel and Squats

Squats

Mar 27, 2013
Don't set your self up for surprise and disappointment, experienced in weaker league and league plays, is what I was trying to say here is it won't help in higher calibre play

Saying pretty much the same thing about Moose Jaw
Same thing was said for the Thunderbirds last year, yet Quebec shut them down 4-0. Anything can happen in a tournament like this

Reactions: Canadian Game

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Championship T- shirts are now available on website
Unofficial Tees. 2 Versions. Many Colors.
Hanging 1 (3).jpg
Hanging 1 (4).jpg

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Well, guess it's NHL action tonight for the hockey fix after another short series. Not complaining as it saves cash lol.
The big prize is in the bank and its what is important (JMO) The main course has been served n enjoyed, might as well look to desert and the Memorial Cup now.
Get er done!

Last 2 seasons have been very enjoyable, as much fun as the 2004-2006 run and the mid 2010s run for me. All different in scope and reasoning but this group has cemented itself alongside those other groups for sure.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Same thing was said for the Thunderbirds last year, yet Quebec shut them down 4-0. Anything can happen in a tournament like this
Last year is long gone, this is this year, last year's players moved on, different group of players and different situation. I am not looking at one team and the players on that team, I am looking at the overall picture, the overall calibre of each league. The competition in the Qs is not as strong as in other leagues this year, as they had been the dominating league for 4 or 5 years.

One game round-robin against each team, it's very short, the only way for Drummondville and Moose Jaw is to win, it's with short game emotions, grab the momentum early and run with it, don't give it back to the end, because if they do, they will be flattened with steamrollers by London and Saginaw. London/Saginaw will be in the final, between these two teams, my gut feeling tells me the loser of their round-robin game, will come back to win the Memorial Cup.

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
I think the Leafs will like the cheap factor based on where they are with cap/changes they'll have to make in the off season. I can't see him returning.
Ya but the Leafs have a bunch of URFA'S they will likley be parting ways with freeing up alot if cap space. I still think its in their best interest to send him back but all depends what he does in his 10 games as I think he's atleast earned that much of a look.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I still think its in their best interest to send him back but all depends what he does in his 10 games as I think he's atleast earned that much of a look.
Remember though, in order to give a player like Cowan 9 games, you need to have a replacement for him ready and waiting in the minors. Depending on waiver exemption status of that player, this is easier for some teams than others.

In reality, I think the plan is rarely "let's give this player their 9", and more "this player deserves to play here. The spot is their's to lose".

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Where are the people who called Boulton a Liability????? He's Chad Heffernan 2.0.

• Wow
Reactions: LDN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad