News Article: Lombardi, Sutter get contract extensions

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-elliott-kings-20130114,0,1001368.story

General Manager Dean Lombardi, whose philosophy of building through the draft and prizing character provided the foundation of the Kings' Stanley Cup championship last spring, has made a handshake agreement with the organization on a four-year contract extension through the 2016-17 season. The deal, expected to be finalized within days, will be announced at the same time as a long-term agreement with Coach Darryl Sutter, who took over in December 2011 and led the No. 8-seeded Kings on a dominant playoff run.

Captain Mittens*

It's likely four years of monthly signed blank checks for each of them.
4more.jpg

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Not that I have a problem with any of this, but didn't Sutter get a 3-year deal when he took the job in december of '11?

I remember the media calling it a "multi-year" deal, but I think it was only two years, last season and this upcoming one. Staff contracts aren't exactly the same as player contracts either. I think, if management wants, you can talk extension earlier. Either way, we get Dean for another four years, so let the reign begin :)

Must be nice, as management, to negotiate and notarize your own contracts :P

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
What a pity. 4 more years of good asset management.

While I do agree with you and I am a 100% DL supporter, I do admit I find the irony of this post being made on the same day we waived a #4 overall pick whose never played an NHL game quite funny.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
While I do agree with you and I am a 100% DL supporter, I do admit I find the irony of this post being made on the same day we waived a #4 overall pick whose never played an NHL game quite funny.

It's a tough one for sure. Maybe no one wanted him via trade, or maybe Lombardi just wanted to give him a change to get an NHL job with a bottom feeder that needs defenders (and a young one at that).

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
People keep bringing up that pick, but fail to acknowledge that that draft was awful. Who other than maybe Logan Couture, could they have justified picking at #4 that would have amounted to anything significant?

The point is, who gives a **** anymore? The ultimate goal has been achieved while being able to keep the main pieces of this team (Kopitar, Quick, Richards, Carter, Doughty and hopefully Brown this summer) intact moving forward.

So, good on Both Darryl and Dean. Well deserved.

Last edited:

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
People keep bringing up that pick, but fail to acknowledge that that draft was awful. Who other than maybe Logan Couture, could they have justified picking at #4 that would have amounted to anything significant?

The point is, who gives a **** anymore? The ultimate goal has been achieved while being able to keep the main pieces of this team (Kopitar, Quick, Richards, Carter, Doughty and hopefully Brown this summer) intact moving forward.

So, good on Both Darryl and Dean. Well deserved.

I'm not pointing it out to *****, I'm just noting the irony to the pick. Yes the draft sucked, but let's also be honest, if DL had elected to just go with the consensus choice (Alzner) instead of the home run, we'd still have a much better asset.

Like I said, I'm a huge DL supporter, but the fact does remain his one weakness in my opinion is his first round drafting record. Take away Drew and it's pretty weak.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I'm not pointing it out to *****, I'm just noting the irony to the pick. Yes the draft sucked, but let's also be honest, if DL had elected to just go with the consensus choice (Alzner) instead of the home run, we'd still have a much better asset.

Like I said, I'm a huge DL supporter, but the fact does remain his one weakness in my opinion is his first round drafting record. Take away Drew and it's pretty weak.

Let's get real, Lombardi has had his share of f-ups. Had this team missed the playoffs last season, which was very close, he would have most likely been fired despite still having a strong team assembled.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

It wasn't directed at only you, it has been has beaten to death by many others as well. The drafting for our gain hasn't been great, but asset management in regard to first round picks has been great.

Schenn + Simmonds became Richards
Teubert + '11 first became Penner
'13 first and Johnson became Carter

All very valuable pieces down the stretch last year.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Let's get real, Lombardi has had his share of f-ups. Had this team missed the playoffs last season, which was very close, he would have most likely been fired despite still having a strong team assembled.

The fact he may have been fired isn't an indication of weakness on his part. The teams failures this season had a lot more to do with the players themselves than DL.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The fact he may have been fired isn't an indication of weakness on his part. The teams failures this season had a lot more to do with the players themselves than DL.

I disagree. I think you could have come up with a long list of weaknesses if the Kings had missed the playoffs....fortunately, we don't have to, we can just concentrate on the positives.

But think about it, players like Penner, Carter...hell, you could even put Brown in that mix...all underachieved until playoff time. If you never had a chance to see that, we might be calling for a semi-rebuild....not to mention DL's head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad