GDT: LOLCanes @ LOLCats

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Very happy about this one. Could have folded like Florida yesterday, but we didn't. Not the greatest game, but also could have easily gotten out of hand given the goalie situation.

Reactions: MinJaBen

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Gutsy win. Ellis did a great job coming in and not being 100%.

Hopefully Cam's injury isn't too serious, but it did not look good. I'm fine if Ellis needs to play 4-5 games straight, but we need Cam and Ellis to get us the division. Not going to be comfortable if we need Peters on long term.

Proud of these guys for battling through and gutting out a win.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Gotta hope all our injured players return. Ellis is alright, but long term who knows? Wallace just looked out of place with Jordan and Skinner, and the team could always use more Pitkanen.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
I know it's just a stat but it's too bad Semin didn't get off on that line change for the second goal against. He would have the league's best +/- with +16, now he has to settle for tied in first :nopity:

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Great future ahead of us. Yep totally sucks.

Is it though? Your prospect pool is very nice, don't get me wrong, but when I look at it I see a bunch of nice support players without a real couple high end guys to build around. Maybe Huberdeau but that's it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Is it though? Your prospect pool is very nice, don't get me wrong, but when I look at it I see a bunch of nice support players without a real couple high end guys to build around. Maybe Huberdeau but that's it.

Huberdeau, Gudbranson, and Markstrom are all 3 very legit prospects. And no telling how good Bjugstad and Grimaldi could be just yet.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Yeah sort of what I was thinking. No one's as high on Markstrom as they were a couple of years ago, Gudbranson looks like a solid but not top 5-caliber player, you're losing Weiss next year (not that he's done anything THIS year), and although a very good defenseman Kulikov hasn't become the dominating guy everyone thought he would. Aside from Huberdeau and Bjugstad, if you're actually banking your future on the development on guys like Shore and Mueller you're not in any better shape than anyone else.

Maybe ALL of these guys turn out to all reach their potential, and that would certainly be something to be excited about, but is that really going to happen? When was the last time a top-end Florida prospect reached his full potential? Horton is an OK player but certainly didn't, Frolik needed a change of scenery and even then isn't the player he was drafted to be, Gudbranson is obviously still growing and developing but as of yet hasn't shown that he'll be dominant. And even if ONE of them does well and reaches it (looks to be Huberdeau) you need a LOT more than just one guy.

Luckily it looks like Mackinnon, Jones, and Drouin are all going to be dominant players no matter how well or poorly they're developed, so at least there's that if the season doesn't end as planned...

EDIT: I don't mean to crap all over the franchise, I definitely think there are plenty of prospects and young players to be excited about. But a LOT has to go right for the Panthers to have a "great future," and history suggests that it's gonna take some work.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad