Friedman: Logan Brown likely available

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Sens fans telling me no one had been talking about Brown being on the market or available. Ummm. Well.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
As a sens fan honestly hard to guage. They saying he's good for nhl PP but needs better 5 on 5 play at nhl level.

They also acknowledged that he was probably hurt by there not being pre-season games. I'm guessing they will give him at least one more shot to grab a spot and play some NHL games before moving him. That said...

Would love him with the Yotes. Whats the value?

AZ is hard to tell. You guys have lost a lot of assets that we'd be looking for. I assume Westerlund & Farinacci would be two guys we'd have strong interest in, but I'm not sure if AZ would be looking to make a deal involving either of those guys, and I'm not sure if we'd add for them, or want assets added to them for Brown.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
They also acknowledged that he was probably hurt by there not being pre-season games. I'm guessing they will give him at least one more shot to grab a spot and play some NHL games before moving him. That said...

AZ is hard to tell. You guys have lost a lot of assets that we'd be looking for. I assume Westerlund & Farinacci would be two guys we'd have strong interest in, but I'm not sure if AZ would be looking to make a deal involving either of those guys, and I'm not sure if we'd add for them, or want assets added to them for Brown.
Unsure if it’s been asked yet or not as I haven’t followed close enough, if Minnesota was to ask what would the asking price be?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Unsure if it’s been asked yet or not as I haven’t followed close enough, if Minnesota was to ask what would the asking price be?

Its really hard to say, because there are probably two camps on Brown:
1) those who believe in his upside, want to hold onto him even if there is a good chance he busts, and would need a really good return to justify trading him and giving up on that high upside
2) those who are uncertain of him - they see the upside and think he could be a really good player but are running out of runway for him, and would be open to a change of scenery trade for him
3) those who think he is what he is - not an NHLer - and that we should get whatever we can for him

I fall somewhere between 1 and 2, and I think the team probably does as well... but who really knows?

With that out of the way... maybe something involving one of your most recent high 2nds? I like both players, but not enough to really be a centerpiece for Brown, and I think the team may feel the same. Maybe something involving Firstov or Beckman? Filip Johanssen might be a player we value as a potential 2nd/3rd pairing guy, although I'm not a big fan... maybe we swap big C's and build something around McBain?

I dont know. I can't say I am intimately familiar with all or most of the guys mentioned above... but I could see the merit in making a deal for any of them. From my perspective, though, it wouldnt be worth giving up on Brown. I still think he is our one centerman who can run a PP or be really dynamic offensively. I love Pinto and Norris, but they are impressive in very different ways. I'd rather run with Brown and have him bust than end up with a middle of the lineup player, personally.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Its really hard to say, because there are probably two camps on Brown:
1) those who believe in his upside, want to hold onto him even if there is a good chance he busts, and would need a really good return to justify trading him and giving up on that high upside
2) those who are uncertain of him - they see the upside and think he could be a really good player but are running out of runway for him, and would be open to a change of scenery trade for him
3) those who think he is what he is - not an NHLer - and that we should get whatever we can for him

I fall somewhere between 1 and 2, and I think the team probably does as well... but who really knows?

With that out of the way... maybe something involving one of your most recent high 2nds? I like both players, but not enough to really be a centerpiece for Brown, and I think the team may feel the same. Maybe something involving Firstov or Beckman? Filip Johanssen might be a player we value as a potential 2nd/3rd pairing guy, although I'm not a big fan... maybe we swap big C's and build something around McBain?

I dont know. I can't say I am intimately familiar with all or most of the guys mentioned above... but I could see the merit in making a deal for any of them. From my perspective, though, it wouldnt be worth giving up on Brown. I still think he is our one centerman who can run a PP or be really dynamic offensively. I love Pinto and Norris, but they are impressive in very different ways. I'd rather run with Brown and have him bust than end up with a middle of the lineup player, personally.
thank you for that response. im trying to gauge what interest i should have in him. he seems like a tall and talented offensive centerman. something we need but im already watching a lazy bjugstad not help Kaprisov. does he have any fire to his game outside of highlights? For the Sens are they kind of past the point of just wanting picks and starting to need roster players or prospects close to ready?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
thank you for that response. im trying to gauge what interest i should have in him. he seems like a tall and talented offensive centerman. something we need but im already watching a lazy bjugstad not help Kaprisov. does he have any fire to his game outside of highlights? For the Sens are they kind of past the point of just wanting picks and starting to need roster players or prospects close to ready?
I think for it to be picks, it would need to be really good value. Like two 2nds. At least from my perspective. He could go for a 3rd next week though, who knows.

I suspect we would rather a prospect in a similar boat or to use him as a piece in a package for an established player (maybe at D or C).

He has a lot to his game, but struggles to drive play. Wont make any elite back-checks. He tries, I don't think he's lazy, I think he just lacks an extra gear. He does lots of really good things in the offensive zone and is effective at using his size when he applies himself. I think he still has a lot of development to come, but there are elements of the game - basically 90% of which comes once the team has puck possession in the offensive half of the ice - that are elite or borderline elite.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Brown and a 2022 2nd for Jost.
I take it back. Jost looks like a different player so far this season. He’s been outstanding as a two way forward. Great on PK. It’s only two games but he’s been better than Kadri and should see time as our 3C to see if he’s hit that next level as a player. Very very encouraging start to his season. Looks faster. A little bigger. Playing smart.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Man, trading him now seems so silly. The Sens have invested 4 years bringing him along, he looked good in his last call up.
He is on the cusp of playing for us, the GM has said he’s probably the 2nd best PP guy on the team, & close to being on the team.

we would be out of our minds not to see what he can do with 20-30 games. I still fully believe in this guy, and that any trade will be garbage for the Sens compared to what Brown might be as soon as this year.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Man, trading him now seems so silly. The Sens have invested 4 years bringing him along, he looked good in his last call up.
He is on the cusp of playing for us, the GM has said he’s probably the 2nd best PP guy on the team, & close to being on the team.

we would be out of our minds not to see what he can do with 20-30 games. I still fully believe in this guy, and that any trade will be garbage for the Sens compared to what Brown might be as soon as this year.
Then why is he not on the team? Norris should be in the minors. He has had only 1 year in AHL.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I take it back. Jost looks like a different player so far this season. He’s been outstanding as a two way forward. Great on PK. It’s only two games but he’s been better than Kadri and should see time as our 3C to see if he’s hit that next level as a player. Very very encouraging start to his season. Looks faster. A little bigger. Playing smart.

Ottawa wouldn’t do that trade to begin with.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
View attachment 383641

I know it’s not a shock at this point, but it’s still a topic worth discussing.
He could probably be had for a second or a third at this point, he’s a top-6 or bust player and often injured; if you plan on bringing him in to play bottom-6 minutes, you’re going to be disappointed. That said, when given top-6 minutes in Ottawa last year, he looked good. then got injured.

Discuss!
Another made up story by Friedman.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Then why is he not on the team? Norris should be in the minors. He has had only 1 year in AHL.

Must be stuff in his 5 on 5 game they don’t think is good enough yet. It’s hard to say because he seemed fine to me last time up - he totally dominated the AHL, and seemed to get around the ice well enough a year ago in the NHL before it all got shut down.
I think it’s partly that Norris has progressed so quickly, his first year pro last year he was rookie of the year and led the A in goals. So they just gave him more rope and he won the job out of camp over, as it turns out Brown. There was only one spot and Norris took it by the balls early in camp and that was it.

I think Brown will play 20-30 games this year, so we will find out soon enough.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Brown for Borgstrom?

Swap of 2 struggling first rounders with potential, iirc Brown was good with Duclair and he'd slot in well behind Barkov

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Brown for Borgstrom?

Swap of 2 struggling first rounders with potential, iirc Brown was good with Duclair and he'd slot in well behind Barkov

Could be intriguing. Still think L.Brown gets a chance to show his worth in Ottawa before he gets traded anywhere.

But I think that type of trade makes sense. Sens have a million bottom 6 players and upcoming bottom 6 guys so they need guys that have potential to become more than that. For that same reason it makes sense to keep L.Brown for now. His potential is higher than his value.

I think he'll get some games sooner than later.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad