Confirmed with Link: Lockout continues Part V - Hockey cancelled till January 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

Good sign #NHL owners aren't willing to burn season but latest offer not close 2 getting deal done. #NHLPA counter offer already in works.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Maybe the league's thinking is 'we don't want buyouts but if you insist on them, it comes out of your share'? I'm pretty sure the compliance buyouts in the NBA come out of the players share and the excess from their capped escrow also come out of the PA's benefits fund. If the players get any of these things (which seems they may have taken it from the NBA CBA), then I think the league will counter with the same kind of set up that the NBA has currently.

It technically should reduce the cap but that would leave several teams over the cap and would cause teams to have to reshuffle their teams to fit under the cap so there's a two year transition period proposed that would be independent of the players share and total revenue. The issue is that this transition may result in hefty escrow payments which is why I suspect that the players wanted capped escrow so that they could artificially lower their share.

But a player doesn't initiate a buy-out, the GM does.

Here is an option:

If a player goes to the owner and says I'd like to be bought out, take the money from the NHLPA's 50%.

If a GM buys out a player take it out of the owner's 50%.

mikebel111*

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

Good sign #NHL owners aren't willing to burn season but latest offer not close 2 getting deal done. #NHLPA counter offer already in works.

how is this a good sign then, am i missing something?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
how is this a good sign then, am i missing something?

They could have just waited until the season was gone would be the reason for people saying it's a good sign. However, it's all just PR for the NHL so they can say "see, we tried to negotiate".
The PA will come back with an offer and the NHL will reject it.
Cancel the season and see if anyone cares

mikebel111*

They could have just waited until the season was gone would be the reason for people saying it's a good sign. However, it's all just PR for the NHL so they can say "see, we tried to negotiate".
The PA will come back with an offer and the NHL will reject it.
Cancel the season and see if anyone cares

i blame the PA, so greedy

long live the owners

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Lets disband some teams, leave players withiut jobs. Too many players /teams in the nhl. Really water downed.

Players are greedy. All i ever "hear" is the owners giving.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think the NHLPA would look really bad if the season ends up being cancelled. They are being ridiculous. The PA will have a bit more blame, at least by me, if there is no season.

Nazem Rielly

Aug 4, 2012
I blame MLSE for being so greedy and running up the cost of going to the game for all the other franchise fans.

All the revenue produced by MLSE distorts the HRR-AE.

that's a double-edged sword; can't you blame us fans for paying to watch the product on ice

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It is easy to take the billionaires side because the focus isn't on Mario buying himself a 20 million dollar mansion while he lays people off.

I am not taking sides, but wouldn't the PA look bad if the season is cancelled while all they talked about before was that "we just want to play"? Negotiate off this proposal and get back on the ice.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

If Kypreos says this offer won't be good enough for the NHLPA, then what's the point of them giving the NHL a counter offer? Chances are Bettman won't accept it because he wants things done his way.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I blame MLSE for being so greedy and running up the cost of going to the game for all the other franchise fans.

All the revenue produced by MLSE distorts the HRR-AE.

Why don't you blame the other fans for not even going to games. ****!! 50% of teams you can get for $10: a ticket, a hot dog, free parking, souvenier and a $20 bill.

The cost of going to games in a lot of other markets is ridiculously cheap. In fact, a sizeable chunk of a Leafs tickets goes to these teams.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
If Kypreos says this offer won't be good enough for the NHLPA, then what's the point of them giving the NHL a counter offer? Chances are Bettman won't accept it because he wants things done his way.

Most of the offers put forward by the owners have been take it or leave it and I guess the players want to negotiate using the offer as a base to reopen negotiations.

Personally I think they should cancel the entire year and start from scratch next year and maybe a number of teams and players will fall by the wayside, I still believe they need to reduce the league by 10 teams and get rid of 1/3 rd of the players.

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
***Implementation of a weighted Draft Lottery in which all non-Playoff teams compete for opportunity to choose first overall in the annual Draft***

Thats different

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Wow, I was reading the full proposal and there are some interesting, yet major changes happening.

One of the biggest things being that you can trade salary! Burkie won! hahaha If they agree to it, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad