Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
If Marner says "I'm looking to re-sign in the $12 mil range on my next deal" would/could it Shanahan or Pelly that gets last or more important say on what happens.

Pelley might in fact tell GM Treliving play hardball and attempt to move on from Marner and force change because a new/next contract is not coming.

Moving Marner would not be a universally supported decison by magement nor many fans, but with Shanny still sitting in the Presidents seat it would be the blood on his hands so to speak while Pelley behind the scenes pulling the strings and keeping his hands clean.

If Pelley were to directly replace Shanny in that role then all the focus and heat and accountability would be on him. Just because we can't see change on the surface, doesn't mean a lot of change in happening below the surface..

Leafs management represented by a Duck.

View attachment 866416
If Pelley is overruling Shanny on player personnel he should just be fired

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
MLSE has been afraid of making a deal involving the core mostly because of the worry of having it look bad, than the fact they want to bet on talent and keep them together. It was evident that Marner had to go after his Montreal meltdown and yet we still kept them together. All the GM's are afraid of big deals because they are so rare and often scrutinized for years afterwards.

Shanny and co. just ok with being “very good”. They don’t care about being “great”. Masai Ujiri had a very good team in 2018. But he wanted to be great, so he traded DeMar. Not afraid of his players feelings or caring about friendships or selling jerseys.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Its all comes down to leadership for me..

Morgan Rielly should be wearing the "C" and Willy and "A" and be out front for the Leafs ..

In terms of players like Matthews and Marner their NMC clauses should = No More Comments (sort of like when people are forced to sign non disclosure agreements when organizations don't want someone commenting on internal affairs).

We saw this play out yesterday when JT commented on "right there" and Mo Riells disagrees with his captain.

At the start of locker room cleanout day, Leafs captain John Tavares stated that the team is "right there". This is a sentiment that is not shared by Morgan Rielly.

It is shared by Nylander and you want to give him an "A"?

Weird double standards you have there.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
On the other hand if Keefe had a healthy Nylander and Matthews for the whole series we likely win it.

For sure, but that's a completely different hypothetical.

Playing Ullmark over hot Swayman was a stupid COACH move. Hardly comparable to injured/sick players.

The series went 3:1 - 1 for Ullmark and Montgomery.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
BTW...is beating us in the playoffs some kind of Super Mario Power Up? How is it that literally everyone who beats us gets to the final afterwards? Like WTF...
1715093426050.gif

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I do wonder if we end up, eventually, with a scenario where the president's role is either removed or consolidated into the GM's role, and that person reports directly to the CEO.

It's the way many organizations now run
its true. the friedman report seems true. dont think he would make that one up

Reactions: Tak7

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Pelley is the CEO of MLSE which includes many different Divisions, not just the Leafs.
He wasn't brought on to run the Leafs but all Divisions
Yeah Raptors, FC, 905 Raptors, FC2, Marlies (last 3 being development teams for basketball, hockey, and football teams)

He is also going to be more on the finance/corporate business and operational side I would expect than the managerial side of entities within the group

Doesnt make sense for a CEO of a company to be actively managing/spending assets to make decisions for a sport he has very little knowledge on

We either gove Treliving a dual role as GM/Pres, or we bring in a different president.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah Raptors, FC, 905 Raptors, FC2, Marlies (last 3 being development teams for basketball, hockey, and football teams)

He is also going to be more on the finance/corporate business and operational side I would expect than the managerial side of entities within the group

Doesnt make sense for a CEO of a company to be actively managing/spending assets to make decisions for a sport he has very little knowledge on

We either gove Treliving a dual role as GM/Pres, or we bring in a different president.
I've always thought Treliving was brought in as an eventual Shanahan replacement.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I do wonder if we end up, eventually, with a scenario where the president's role is either removed or consolidated into the GM's role, and that person reports directly to the CEO.

It's the way many organizations now run
This is the way it's been for the majority of the NHLs history except for the last decade.

Reactions: Tak7

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He has more job security than government jobs. How can a decade of failure not be the reason to let him go (assuming there is a better candidate available).
I'm with you as the 10 year Shanaplan has been a complete failure producing only 1 single playoff round win over all the years and Leaf Nation fans paying for his incompetence and poor decisions,

He should be fired an should have been years earlier as far as I'm concerned as the Dubas era should never have happened.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I'm with you as the 10 year Shanaplan has been a complete failure producing only 1 single playoff round win over all the years and Leaf Nation fans paying for his incompetence and poor decisions,

He should be fired an should have been years earlier as far as I'm concerned as the Dubas era should never have happened.
In an alternate timeline, Lou doesn't come here and Shanny goes with option B in Mcphee and we become a dynasty :towel:

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
one of my pet peeves is the JT at captain there is no fire in him and the team plays accordingly. Marchand while being a rat does seem like a vocal leader but also backs it up.

FLA has Tkachuk with a letter and a vocal guy. McKinnon is a vocal guy most of the teams left in the playoff have that fiery guy leading the way or the coach as is the case in Van with Tochett....Keefe as you saw by his pre-game speech was so inspiring lol

Our leadership JT, Matthews, and Marner are all meek players and probably not vocal in the dressing room hence bringing Reeves in to shake up the room

Bring in a feisty vocal top 6 guy who can compete. Maybe Nylander calling out Marner on the bench is Nylander starting to assert himself into the leadership role and tired of the BS.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
one of my pet peeves is the JT at captain there is no fire in him and the team plays accordingly. Marchand while being a rat does seem like a vocal leader but also backs it up.

FLA has Tkachuk with a letter and a vocal guy. McKinnon is a vocal guy most of the teams left in the playoff have that fiery guy leading the way or the coach as is the case in Van with Tochett....Keefe as you saw by his pre-game speech was so inspiring lol

Our leadership JT, Matthews, and Marner are all meek players and probably not vocal in the dressing room hence bringing Reeves in to shake up the room

Bring in a feisty vocal top 6 guy who can compete. Maybe Nylander calling out Marner on the bench is Nylander starting to assert himself into the leadership role and tired of the BS.
The 21 year old Knies gave more leadership quotes than any of the core 4.
I want Keefe gone so he doesnt toxify this kid

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
Have any of these guys even heard of the Stanley Cup? They must just stop watching every year when they are eliminated. They are close to absolutely nothing. These answers are expected but still so pathetic. Can one guy just say, the goal is to win the Stanley cup and we've never won more than 5 games in the playoffs so no we aren't close.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

blue stick

Jan 28, 2019
Telling the media "We're like Gods in Toronto" after being bounced out of the playoffs in the first round 7 of the last 8 seasons is only going to more likely get him bounced out of Toronto. IMO
But that wasn't his actual quote. Here are the actual words:

Question: "What does it mean to be a Maple Leaf?"

Marner: “It means the world. Obviously we’re looked upon as… you know, kind of gods here to be honest and um, it's something you really appreciate and the love you get here from this fan base and this attention is kinda none like any other so... ah, you saw it with the Raps a couple of years ago, you know the love they still have for a lot of those players that they had to trade off this year, that's kind of the love you want."

Reactions: ACC1224

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Have any of these guys even heard of the Stanley Cup? They must just stop watching every year when they are eliminated. They are close to absolutely nothing. These answers are expected but still so pathetic. Can one guy just say, the goal is to win the Stanley cup and we've never won more than 5 games in the playoffs so no we aren't close.
They may, while speaking only among themselves, have more reasonable assessments of where they actually are but if they do they can't say so publicly. I find it difficult to believe any of them truly feel they're on the verge of kicking the Stanley Cup door down.

Reactions: mogs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad