Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's funny how much credit these guys are getting for "saying the right things". I guess Leafs nation is desperate for anything, even if it's more over paid executives blowing smoke up our asses.

Shanahan trying not to be upstaged by Keefe, pretending he takes any responsibility is the cherry on top. If he actually believed what he was saying, he'd have resigned already instead of letting the fall guy, take the fall. The fact he is still there tells you exactly how serious these guys are.
Yep need to see actions before believe in anything.

Swayman has lost to Woll his entire life .. they have played against each other a lot .. outside of a couple nhl regular season games it is completely lopsided .. but keefer is pretty stupid in that he didn't check into da history between da 2 .. we had da better tender but he does get hurt a lot which is a problem .. and it occurred again .. Swayman is a mid tier pro tender well suited to a rotational role .. with Matty Willy and Woll healthy for da whole series we probably win 4-2 .. but bottom line Cats are flat out too good for us .. Bobbo and their D are straight up far superior and they have a big fast forechecking forward group who can cycle which is perfect for playoff hockey
Woll and Sammy were not the reason we lost.
Top guys not scoring is the reason we lost.
Can’t win a series if the team was only able to score more than 2 goals once in 7 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forgotusername

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
An era should have a lot of potential left when the team's best players are in their mid-20s. That's when most teams start being competitive.
Destroying this era's potential would be a massive failure of Shanahan and Treliving.
Irrelevant when a teams best players aren’t good enough to actually win anything.

Extra irrelevant when they’re overpaid and leave less for the rest of the roster to help be competitive.

Reactions: myleafs and Al14

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I’m hoping that was all Shanahan’s decision, but I’m also hoping Huberdeau’s contract was someone else’s decision!
The Flames owner, Murray Edwards, does not permit rebuilds yet doesn't particularly care that this approach makes building a championship team nigh on impossible.

I am not saying that Treliving doesn't deserve some blame for those contracts because he does, but that is where he was coming from when those contracts were signed.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
An era should have a lot of potential left when the team's best players are in their mid-20s. That's when most teams start being competitive.
Destroying this era's potential would be a massive failure of Shanahan and Treliving.

Start being competitive? Than why have we been paying them MAX dollars this whole time if we should expect them to just now start being competitive.

They’ve failed. Just like Dubas. Always have, always will if left together.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Really? Bc I don’t think the right voice will be able to get the top guys scoring in the playoffs.
Or the top guys to charge into board battles and win.
Or create room when there is absolutely no room in the ozone
I think it will. They've brought in so many "playoff" players over the years under Keefe and nothing changed.

A coach who demands accountability throughout the entire line up would be a great start.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
As I said twice before now, I think it's incredibly weird to be still hung up about Alex Pietrangelo. You said it to dig Dubas in a conversation about who BT might look at this off-season, we get it, you hate Kyle Dubas, message received for the 3,294,303rd time.

I think that sometimes you are right, actually, you are just too emotional in the moment to be relied upon for judgement or producing a coherent plan for a way forward. Evidenced by your way forward being to be mad about a 2020 free agent or possibly by you saying that you'd be happy if everyone but Woll, Rielly, and Schenn all headed over to Pittsburgh after last season. You don't have a good track record with being the slightest bit objective, is all.

I don't think you are right about Marner either, btw, over the course of his NHL career I believe that will become evident (though I don't expect to hear that much from you or anyone else). And dear lord, if we re-sign him, OMG, this place is going to be hilarious to watch.
Getting upset about a UFA they didn't sign is odd.

First of all, there is nothing to suggest Petro wanted to even play for the Leafs. There are a lot of players who don't want the headache.

There are so many negotiations we don't know about, deals almost made..

We can never be sure what really is happening

Reactions: Buds17

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
MLSE apparently is comfortable raking in easy money annually. Supposedly they want to win and not just sell jerseys. Win? Win what? Be above .500? Be a final 4 team? Or just make playoffs? They act like the mirage of a Stanley cup championship is enough.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Thats f***ing right Tre. Get the dubas cancer mindset and culture the F out of Toronto for good!

The boy band and NBA bench mentality of the previous builds needs to be blown up for sure. We saw guys like McCabe, Domi, Bertuzzi, Knies take on more of the identity of this group and whatever happens next, we need a bigger middle class, strength at different positions and really break down the idea of the precious core.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Had a nightmare last night. I swear this is what I dreamt. I was going to a sports bar and they had the Leafs in the Stanley Cup Finals (current playoffs). I freak out wondering if they called a goal back in the last game after I turned off the tv. I’m in a dream so I think it’s real! The game is in Game 7 overtime, I’m freaking out. How did we get there? What teams did we beat?

Then the announcer comes on and says it’s parallel exhibition playoffs (loser pool bracket) …then I wake up swearing.

• Haha
Reactions: PromisedLand

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think it will. They've brought in so many "playoff" players over the years under Keefe and nothing changed.

A coach who demands accountability throughout the entire line up would be a great start.
The core 5 are all talented but they just can’t play together effectively in the playoffs.
If there is no cap, Leafs can surround them with players that create a good mix but that’s not the case.
For example, we looked at what Bert and Domi did this season. It seems like whichever AM, MM and Willie play with them, that line become the best line on the team.
And both of them cost a combined caphit of 8.5mil.
Imagine both JT and MM off the team and replaced by 4 players who are similar to Bert and Domi at the same cap.
We will have three lines of Bert and Domi and have AM, Willie and Knies on each line. And still have 5mil left from the JT and MM money plus 2mil more as bumping down two cheap players on the team. That’s 7mil can be use on a Dman.

The core 5 just can’t do it collectively, that’s the reality.

Reactions: BallardEra

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The Flames owner, Murray Edwards, does not permit rebuilds yet doesn't particularly care that this approach makes building a championship team nigh on impossible.

I am not saying that Treliving doesn't deserve some blame for those contracts because he does, but that is where he was coming from when those contracts were signed.
Calgary and Toronto are completely different market.
Leafs can field an AHL team and still sells out.

That summer, Calgary needs a win or the narratives of nobody wants to play with them will haunt them all year.
To be honest, if Hubie didn’t fell off a cliff and Panthers didn’t become the Panthers. That Tkachuk trade was a good trade, Flames traded a 1LW for another 1LW and 2D(RH) and a 1st rounder.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

There is rich irony in Shanahan saying, "The ultimate responsibility is on me. The accountability is on me," when the sword is falling on everyone but him.

And there is an element of self-preservation at work when the urgency to modify the approach only sets in when you're the only suit left in the crosshairs.

One league source watching Toronto's theatre from afar praised Pelley's clarity and called Shanahan's podium performance "a disaster."

No matter. The president's next actions will speak louder than any rehearsed soundbite or outside outrage.

So, we'll see if the president can Gordie Howe hat-trick his way out of this mess, if he and Treliving — still relatively fresh to the curse's sting, still excited to shape a more complete, grittier group — can mould an offensive roster into one that scores when it matters most.

"We seem to be turning the other team's goalie into the first star every night," Treliving said. "We've got to find a way to do the hard, unsexy things longer — and those things don't require skill.

"We've got to dive into this thing."

Shanahan was asked point-blank if he has only one season left on his contract, as has been reported. He didn't answer. He likes secrets.

"My contract status will not be a distraction to me or the team," Shanahan said.

The last Maple Leafs executive to make such a declaration is now working in Pittsburgh.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
"We seem to be turning the other team's goalie into the first star every night," Treliving said. "We've got to find a way to do the hard, unsexy things longer — and those things don't require skill.

"We've got to dive into this thing."
We need a core that can do this. That’s the answer. Not a Reaves or a Benoit (they are good down the lineup for sure), but the core. That’s the issue. That’s been the issue and will continue to be until modified. Those other guys aren’t going to be out there 25+ minutes a game.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Thing is Tre is facing a similar mandate here - to win and to do so sooner than later. So he's going to need to do a better job retooling quickly here, than he did with the Flames.

I think Tre had a decent first season with the Leafs so I'm cautiously optimistic for next year. But he wasn't my choice for new GM last summer because his work with the Flames was overall pretty meh

Reactions: Chindis

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Thing is Tre is facing a similar mandate here - to win and to do so sooner than later. So he's going to need to do a better job retooling quickly here, than he did with the Flames.

I think Tre had a decent first season with the Leafs so I'm cautiously optimistic for next year. But he wasn't my choice for new GM last summer because his work with the Flames was overall pretty meh
This is fair.

Marner and Tavares will be telling. If either gets re-signed we have Calgary Tre and we're boned. Hopefully he learned from that experience.

Reactions: Menzinger

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
This is fair.

Marner and Tavares will be telling. If either gets re-signed we have Calgary Tre and we're boned. Hopefully he learned from that experience.
If reports are true and the Flames owner told Conroy not to trade
with the Leafs you would have to imagine the had a big say in the contracts signed by Hubs and Naz.
I also believe he didn’t have full say in Willy’s contract.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Unfortunately the Leafs aren’t boldly going. They are more Lost in Space.
"danger Will Rogers, danger............"

MLSE apparently is comfortable raking in easy money annually. Supposedly they want to win and not just sell jerseys. Win? Win what? Be above .500? Be a final 4 team? Or just make playoffs? They act like the mirage of a Stanley cup championship is enough.
exactly. Pelley's new, he must not realize we're not buying this shit anymore...........

Reactions: Trapper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad