Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
"Shanahan is a 3 time stanley cup winner"

"I can only evaluate what's been done the past 4 weeks"

If that's the case, Shanny should be gone too like keefe because both of them have been around the past month. Who cares if Shanny won his last cup 22 years ago?

LOL. And I should be president of Jays since one year our company won a softball league tournament between 6 companies in the area, and I lead the summer league with 5 HR over the fence.
I remember that. You were using “wonderbat” and hit all those homers. Good hustle.
1715396645501.jpeg

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
At this moment, I would roll the dice on another power forward who can score and not afraid of hits in the corner like Brady than MM.
It is not hate on MM but rather he is just not the right fit with the current Leafs.

Is it the right fit? I am not sure it is.

Bertuzzi is a lesser version and wasn't good.

I'm fine with change, I just think the obsession with power forwards and toughness is weird and has never won anyone anything.

I want high compete, speed, and skill over anything else.

steam whistle

Nov 27, 2013
Ontario
Shanny was talking about "patterns". Only pattern is him being president year after year. 10 years and 1 round won with him at the top. Keep shuffling GM's and Coaches and he's still standing. Makes you think....
I pointed it out years ago, his job security seems very steady. He moved out lot of GMs and coaches, btw, anyone ever thought what's his salary? :DD:DD

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Why leave off points? It changes the narrative slightly...

View attachment 868468

Matthews has been our best playoff performer.

Rielly is 2nd most likely (can debate with Nylander), Marner has been hit and miss, and Tavares has been the worst.
Do you have this list for only even strength playoff points for leafs? Curious if he stays #2 or how it looks

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Watched 15 seconds of it. Shut it off. Might at well have the three stooges up there at this point.

Three corporate yes men up there in suits. None of whom have the first clue about how to build a winning team.

The city and the fans deserve so much better than this.

I feel like walking into that press conference and yelling in the ears:

STFU and just build a winner! It's been almost 60 f***ing years. Just STFU and deliver for the fans.

People are going to go an entire lifetime without seeing this team win a cup and it's a crime.

Best drafting luck in decades in the mid 2010's and they hand the keys to a couple of rookies. Maddening.
Should have watched more than 15 seconds. Tre did a good job answering questions and clearly has a vision and direction he wants to go. Pelley was all corporate talk and Shanny was a mess.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Do you have this list for only even strength playoff points for leafs? Curious if he stays #2 or how it looks
Nylander is definitely second atleast, the other three play with each other for the most part excluding Tavares and look how marner played without matthews this year

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

just the last 5 years of Toronto players in the playoffs.

here

ESP:

Matthews, Nylander = 24
Marner = 21

PPP:

Matthews, Marner = 11
Nylander = 8

I normally hold ESP higher than PPP and will still do it here, but we struggle to score on the PP too, we struggle everywhere, and no one's numbers are good enough at any strength.

Marner is shooting at 6%
Matthews at 8%
Nylander at 14%

Matthews feels like he should have a lot more goals/points.

Should have watched more than 15 seconds. Tre did a good job answering questions and clearly has a vision and direction he wants to go. Pelley was all corporate talk and Shanny was a mess.

Did Tre talk about more than snot? Because the first year was unimpressive, so I will be happy if he is talking about how we can play better hockey between the whistles.

Reactions: Eye Test

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
just the last 5 years of Toronto players in the playoffs.

here

ESP:

Matthews, Nylander = 24
Marner = 21

PPP:

Matthews, Marner = 11
Nylander = 8

I normally hold ESP higher than PPP and will still do it here, but we struggle to score on the PP too, we struggle everywhere, and no one's numbers are good enough at any strength.

Marner is shooting at 6%
Matthews at 8%
Nylander at 14%

Matthews feels like he should have a lot more goals/points.

Did Tre talk about more than snot? Because the first year was unimpressive, so I will be happy if he is talking about how we can play better hockey between the whistles.
For being such a big poster posting always about the leafs I would have thought you actually took the time to watch it.

So you’re just here talking and giving your opinion but you never actually watched it?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Is it the right fit? I am not sure it is.

Bertuzzi is a lesser version and wasn't good.

I'm fine with change, I just think the obsession with power forwards and toughness is weird and has never won anyone anything.

I want high compete, speed, and skill over anything else.
I would say Brady is a better fit than MM.
Bert was good even in the playoffs. If only Keefe put him in PP1 more.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
So fuking refreshing. Love it. More of this. Flush that woke nonsense out of this team.
You clearly don’t know the meaning of woke if you think Tre was saying anything about woke

Florida has managed to put 11 non-EN goals past the Bruins in the last 2 games alone.
That's 1 less than Toronto managed in 7 games against Boston.

Apparently, the notion that's it really tough to score in the playoffs only applies to the Maple Leafs.
Ya no kidding and some want to pay them even more.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
For being such a big poster posting always about the leafs I would have thought you actually took the time to watch it.

So you’re just here talking and giving your opinion but you never actually watched it?

The press conference? No why would I watch them talk about things they never do?

Some of you are too obsessed with words and not what actually happens.

Reactions: DrChar

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yup, and there are a few teams who could or would need to do that, the problem will be if Marner would be willing to go there, as well as what the return would be. But I do not see us getting equal value back, except maybe for the cap space, which I've heard some/many insiders say is that cap space is the main priority now for most teams.
My post was about JT. Mitch is a similar but different situation. Salary post-bonus and cap are similar, but retaining a couple of million cap would make him pretty attractive. Not so with JT.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They will send money back and Leafs can retain some.
True, but if we retain cap and take a bad contract back in trade, are we really any better off? Depends on the details.

My point was that there is a huge difference between salary and cap.

With only one year left, it might be better to just wait it out.

Reactions: ToneDog

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Now that's something I hadn't thought about at all regarding Marner. Once that bonus is paid he could be quite valuable to a cheapskate team. Problem is I dunno who those are anymore with Arizona and Ottawa under new ownership
But they will still have to deal with his $11M cap hit.

Some teams may have the room, but are they teams Mitch would be willing to go to?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Shanahan should have realized Zach Hyman can never leave Toronto. Hyman should being wearing the C in TOronto. On that young team full of ego, they needed 1 of the hardest working captains to look at as their example. Hyman would have been perfect for that, to see an example every shift about how to compete hard. He tore his ACL and put a brace on it and played thru in in the playoffs, u never let a guy like that go.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
Shanahan should have realized Zach Hyman can never leave Toronto. Hyman should being wearing the C in TOronto. On that young team full of ego, they needed 1 of the hardest working captains to look at as their example. Hyman would have been perfect for that, to see an example every shift about how to compete hard. He tore his ACL and put a brace on it and played thru in in the playoffs, u never let a guy like that go.
Hyman would have made an excellent captain tbh. Highly intelligent on and off the ice, articulate, plays the game hard and the right way, and exudes confidence. And he's also a hometown kid like Tavares.

I don't think Tavares is a bad captain per se but his leadership hasn't worked in the 5+ years that he was here. Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but even at the time, I didn't think he was the right fit as the leader for the team. The Leafs were a young, slightly cocky team with a lot of 'flair' and massive potential. I get why they chose Tavares - an older, calm, stoic influence to help the kids along. But I thought it was the wrong move at the time and in hindsight, it's clearly the wrong move.

They should have made Matthews captain and doubled down on youth, flair, and a bit of cockiness. Or they should have chosen someone like Hyman, who was closer in age and plays with both intelligence and an edge - something that unsurprisingly is missing in this team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Hyman would have made an excellent captain tbh. Highly intelligent on and off the ice, articulate, plays the game hard and the right way, and exudes confidence. And he's also a hometown kid like Tavares.

I don't think Tavares is a bad captain per se but his leadership hasn't worked in the 5+ years that he was here. Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but even at the time, I didn't think he was the right fit as the leader for the team. The Leafs were a young, slightly cocky team with a lot of 'flair' and massive potential. I get why they chose Tavares - an older, calm, stoic influence to help the kids along. But I thought it was the wrong move at the time and in hindsight, it's clearly the wrong move.

They should have made Matthews captain and doubled down on youth, flair, and a bit of cockiness. Or they should have chosen someone like Hyman, who was closer in age and plays with both intelligence and an edge - something that unsurprisingly is missing in this team.
Hyman will never be the player he is today if he stayed in TO.

I agree he is CAPTAIN materials but I don't think guys like AM and MM will listen to him.
He would be someone great in the locker room and do bring the lead by example leadership.
In hindsight, beside never signing Marleau and also JT.
Would really kept Kadri in the fold as a 2C to play with MM. Then have Hyman on the 3rd line with another 2 way C.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Same BS by the same BSers
Except this time Keith Pelly is the shiny new toy that offers copium

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
My post was about JT. Mitch is a similar but different situation. Salary post-bonus and cap are similar, but retaining a couple of million cap would make him pretty attractive. Not so with JT.
My bad on that. Yes, JT’s cap hit would make it extremely hard to do. Plus, even if he would waive his NMC which I don’t believe he would, it would be to go to a contender who, as you mentioned, would have to be able to absorb his cap hit. So either we would have to retain a chunk of that to make it possible, or else take back some of their bad contracts. Not going to happen, indeed.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad