Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hanifin was never going to play in Canada long term anyway, so moot point. He's going after Zadorov or Tanev. Maybe he doesn't get either of them, but I can see that being the path he travels down first.

Pietrangelo is a weird thing to be mad about. He was a 31 year old looking for a metric bleep ton of money and max term. Marner was a 23 year old kid on an up and coming roster (who led the team in scoring that year to boot). Brodie, who we did bring in that year for much less, was pretty good for the majority of his contract, as well.

I very much doubt Pietro was ever going to consider Canada to begin with. American wife, American kids, played his career there. Toronto wasn't going to beat Vegas in any bidding war either

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
My guess is Leafs do not want to eat that final year and Pelley can pick his brain. Seems to me Pelley knows more about golf than hockey.

Pelley seems like someone who lucked out in his career with good opportunist breaks rather than really being the 'best man for the job', I could be COMPLETELY wrong about that, I am just saying that based on looking at his job history and wasn't super impressed with the conference.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Shanahan: "It's on me, it's all on me"

Me: Okay then why aren't YOU fired too?

---

Treliving: "Keefe is a REALLY GOOD COACH, this is a reallllly good coach".

Bruh,

Really? How is he such a good coach?

Everything we've seen says otherwise.
Did you really expect Treliving to come out in the press conference and rip Keefe to the media about his bad coaching tendencies?

Keefe wasn't a bad coach -- He just never adapted to what was happening in front of him. It's the exact same thing that's happening with upper management now. Stay the course and hope it fixes itself.

Eric bungay

Jun 30, 2018
Such a good point: "why didn't you take less in order to have a better team?"

Btw, I encourage everyone to watch the above. So many good points.
This was a awesome segment 👏!
I agree with what was said about Marner having to up his will and be a dog on the puck.... but I really don't see him taking a pay cut to be a leaf an move down the lineup ! With that said I think he is the one to be moved but for what is the golden question!!!

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Might be slowing down and not the greatest captain but he is no Blake Wheeler.
Seems like a good guy unlike Wheeler, but he is seemingly an awful captain. With your captain, I truly believe you don't win with a monotone passionless guy as your captain. Sundin was no Clark or Gilmour in terms of emotions or toughness but he was definitely evocative and you could see that he was capable of speaking and directing guys on the ice and bench. When I see JT - no matter the environment - he is muted and too soft spoken. Sorry, you're not motivating a Matthews or Nylander to help you run through walls against a Florida or even Boston when required.

I won't even mention Marner as able to be motivated - Tony Robbins couldn't motivate this guy to do what it takes. He's not old enough to be motivated to give a shit about winning; he'll reach that point at 35 when he's collected his cash and empty calorie points the same as Kessel did, who suddenly looked a decent playoff player at the end on a team with.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Did you really expect Treliving to come out in the press conference and rip Keefe to the media about his bad coaching tendencies?

Keefe wasn't a bad coach -- He just never adapted to what was happening in front of him. It's the exact same thing that's happening with upper management now. Stay the course and hope it fixes itself.

Of course not, but like, no need to keep patting the guy on the back so much....

And then at the end he says he knows Keefe will be hired soon....

Who the heck wants to hire a guy who can't win and score at the next level with a group as talented as the Leafs?

Sometimes saying less is better than blowing smoke is all I'm saying.

---

Trevling saying it's his fault.

TRUE.

You thought SAMSONSOV was a #1????????

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Paying Keefe not to work for them is different than paying those who actually are contributing to the organization. Firing Keefe can probably be rationalized since MLSE couldn't have liked having fewer home gates during this year's playoffs.
True, but there are many fans that seem to be of the opinion that MLSE are only interested in money rather than winning. Paying Keefe not to work for them is an example that money may not be more important than winning.

Reactions: Buds17

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
From what was said and not said is that there's likely going to be an attempt to trade at least 1 core player - the three most likely candidates are Tavares, Reilly and Marner for a variety of reasons. And Marner in turn is the most likely candidates based on what allegedly happened last summer plus his current contract status.

Management also made sure to use caged language to allow them.to not do so if things change (either they want a different strategy or a nmc gets in the way)

We'll have to sit on weeks of speculation, but will gain a firmer understanding by the draft if they do seriously try and make a trade

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
No, I'm not saying they don't spend. That much is obvious.

I'm saying they paid millions for Keefe to leave. They don't want to do the same with Shanahan.

They're still a business. Their shareholders probably don't like the idea of burning money.
Fair enough.

Reactions: Just Rude

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I’m hoping that was all Shanahan’s decision, but I’m also hoping Huberdeau’s contract was someone else’s decision!
Me too, if Tre did that deal without pressure from the President it’s not a good look, in fact it’s downright stupid……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yup.. look at Dubas. A former GM indicated he met with Dubas a year or two before being hired by Toronto. Dubas wanted to meet because he thought the owners of the SOO were preparing to fire him and wanted advise on what to do. A year or maybe 2 later, Shanny hires Dubas and the media calls him boy wonder. When reality was, he was a shit$% gm who knew the right people. Now look where he is... he's making like 7 million a year. The guy who hired him in Pitts didn't even pronounce his name correctly at the presser.
Bullshit might get you to the show, but it won’t keep you there, he’ll be out of the league once Penguins ownership figure out he’s a charlatan…….

I think that Shanahan still hasn’t figured that out.
Chelios was right about the Prez, he’s a politician and not a very bright one at that…….

I wish someone would call Shanny out whenever he tries to put the blame on Dubas. Did Shanny not show his cards last year after they were once again eliminated, by assuring the core that they would be back? Doesn’t that look like it was him all along?
Leafs Nation has a good memory even if the Prez doesn’t…….

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Nah, as annoying as this process has been, I do think there’s been a logic to the patience Shanahan has shown. We can definitely say this core ain’t it and we didn’t accidentally tear apart hockeys OKC Thunder after the Montreal series. We know these guys suck together. No regrets dynamiting this.
The sad part is fans knew it wouldn’t work, but the hockey genius’ at MLSE couldn’t figure that out until now, organization is a joke………

Might be slowing down and not the greatest captain but he is no Blake Wheeler.
Agree, his shortcomings aren’t for lack of effort, he’s just aging badly……

Reactions: ToneDog

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Playoffs:
1715375962546.png

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

You can be a good coach but not right for the team. Just like you can be a good player but not right for the team. Leafs have far too much of the 2nd.

Reactions: Eric bungay

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Brendan Shanahan, the President and Alternate Governor of the Toronto Maple Leafs, makes around $4-7 million per year.

What a complete waste of money.

Reactions: socko

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Tre maybe charming and all that, be he also doesn’t know what a negotiation is. How does he give Willy 11.7 million dollars and no trade protection to boot? How is he on par with Pasta? I like willy, it’s not a hate on for Willy post, I just think that was an atrocious contract and Tre is part of the problem now. He is not some genius savant here.
This is a ufa contract for Willy. Dubas gave Marner a better deal in his rFA contract. Marners bonuses were much more top heavy than Nylanders current one.

I don't know who Dubas thought he was competing against on Marners contract lol. Best part is that Marner said he called Dubas himself to get the deal done so he didn't miss training camp. As if he lowered his demands somewhat lol.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad