Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
This era has no potential anymore. Not as it currently constructed with core 4.

Do you think these guys are still kids? I don’t know how many more first round failures it would take for someone like yourself to acknowledge it will never work.
Without dismissing the early exits as a concern, there isn't necessarily a firm Cup winning age bracket that exists for players.

Reactions: Jojalu

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Marner is far different. Half the teams in the league are either losing money or scraping by. Marner makes 750k next year in REAL money. The poor teams would be frothing at the mouth to have a year of a 100 point player at 750k.
Now that's something I hadn't thought about at all regarding Marner. Once that bonus is paid he could be quite valuable to a cheapskate team. Problem is I dunno who those are anymore with Arizona and Ottawa under new ownership

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I agree except on one thing. I think Shanahan actually became the most attached to the core. I'm not sure if that's because Dubas left the cupboards so bare and he worried what would happen if the team lost one, or if it's because he romanticized his experience with Detroit finally breaking through, but I think this is the first time he's finally given up on them. I don't think it's even the core he's given up on. He's given up on Marner and recognizes that Tavares is aging.

Shanahan is extremely lucky if they actually unload Marner and change the look of the team. I won't be surprised at all if they go further with a new coach, system, pp, pk, and defence. An additional 11M to spend on players that aren't self proclaimed gods would go a long way.

If they make it to a conference final (massive if) I bet Shanahan is extended (not that I want him to.) Marner's NMC might be the difference between Shanahan losing his job or not imo.

The only reason I think my theory might have any meat is because Shanahan publicly stated that he was expecting the RFAs to give some discount, Dubas went ahead and did the opposite; then Marner's agent on the same day Matthews' deal was announced gave an interview saying something like "best contract in the NHL, I don't see any discounts. Marner will get paid his due what he is worth either by Leafs or someone else...."

Now in terms of whether Marner is offloaded this summer or not. If he doesn't waive then he will walk as a UFA if he waives then I think it will probably happen after July 1st after his 7.25 million signing bonus in real money is paid and someone can get him for like 700K for the year and then extend him for 8 years. Not expecting Marner to be traded at least until July 2nd.

Chances of Leafs making conference finals or winning the cup next season is very small IMO; next year may be a wash as Tavares is still eating up 11 AAV in cap space and there is no production from him and Rielly is slowing down; also young guys are probably going to play alot next season and gain some experience. Its not a 100% no, swansong run can happen lol but for that we MUST find a goalie and a #1D to start with who can eat a lot of minutes

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
I wouldn't mind Zadorov, kinda forgot about him. But he's another LD when there's already so many on the roster as is.

Petro was the #1D on a cup winner last year, and was exactly what this team was missing. I don't need the benefit of hindsight to say Marner ain't anywhere near worth his cap hit in the playoffs, I was saying it back then too.

This team would've been much better positioned to make deep runs with Petro + whatever future assets would've been acquired for Marner.
I mean, you whine about literally every Leaf player that has ever Leafed, you hated Marner then too, OK? It doesn't change any of the facts that were stated above and I'm not about to go down the you hate Dubas rabbit hole, we know you do. You've maybe mentioned it before.

My question is more how/why did Willys issue flair up then right at a critical time and what if anything would have limited the chance of it happening.

I do think Matthews sounds like a head injury but timelines don't make much sense for me
Bad luck? If anyone thought this was a possibility they would've done something about it before hand. Did you see the way that dude played when he returned? He wasn't sitting out for fun.

Reactions: Lauro

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I wanted Pelley to say “we are actively shopping marner after that pathetic display of playoff hockey. We want players who are not afraid of contact and can elevate their game come postseason. Mitch has failed miserably in his time here and him and his dad can gtfo as far as I’m concerned”. That’s what I wanted to hear lol
Reading between the lines, thats kinda what i heard

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I mean, you whine about literally every Leaf player that has ever Leafed, you hated Marner then too, OK? It doesn't change any of the facts that were stated above and I'm not about to go down the you hate Dubas rabbit hole, we know you do. You've maybe mentioned it before.
Yet here we are years later and shockingly to you, I was right. Facts are facts, this core has disappointed every year in the playoffs. Marner being a 100 point player is relatively meaningless. And now here we are with him likely/hopefully finally being traded.

Rielly, Woll, ROR, Schenn... there's a few Leafs I've love(d).

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
We have to accept reality here. We are stuck with Tavares one more season. Waiving doesn't really help our cap. Buying out doesn't really help our cap. And he has 3 kids in school. His priority is his family and it couldn't be any clearer. Giving him 5 minutes a night on the 4th line won't accomplish anything whatsoever. He still comes home to his wife and kids most nights. He doesn't have to move them somewhere else on the continent and start at all new schools for just one year. He has an nmc and is not leaving. He also has no trade value even if it did happen. We'd get nothing. We'd assuredly have to retain.

Marner is far different. Half the teams in the league are either losing money or scraping by. Marner makes 750k next year in REAL money. The poor teams would be frothing at the mouth to have a year of a 100 point player at 750k. There's also the clear trade and sign possibility like the Tkachuk situation in Florida.

It's what makes the most sense. It's better than paying him 13-14 million after next year. And it's better than letting him walk for nothing.
They need to explore all 3 of JT, Marner, Rielly

Even if you only get Marner, you need to shake up the mentality of this whole group. I dont care that JT goes home to his kids and wife. He's a professional athlete where the team has given him $80M and where the fans support like heck so MLSE can afford it.

Time to be cut throat. MGM needs to explore every single avenue to create more money and to better balance the lineup.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Without dismissing the early exits as a concern, there isn't necessarily a firm Cup winning age bracket that exists for players.

I know I’m talking more about a maturity thing. They are what they are at this point. I don’t see Mitch or Matthews suddenly taking a 180 and becoming playoff beasts all of a sudden.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The only reason I think my theory might have any meat is because Shanahan publicly stated that he was expecting the RFAs to give some discount, Dubas went ahead and did the opposite; then Marner's agent on the same day Matthews' deal was announced gave an interview saying something like "best contract in the NHL, I don't see any discounts. Marner will get paid his due what he is worth either by Leafs or someone else...."

Now in terms of whether Marner is offloaded this summer or not. If he doesn't waive then he will walk as a UFA if he waives then I think it will probably happen after July 1st after his 7.25 million signing bonus in real money is paid and someone can get him for like 700K for the year and then extend him for 8 years. Not expecting Marner to be traded at least until July 2nd.

Chances of Leafs making conference finals or winning the cup next season is very small IMO; next year may be a wash as Tavares is still eating up 11 AAV in cap space and there is no production from him and Rielly is slowing down; also young guys are probably going to play alot next season and gain some experience. Its not a 100% no, swansong run can happen lol but for that we MUST find a goalie and a #1D to start with who can eat a lot of minutes
Picking up 2 of Pesche, Tanev or Montour fixes the defense and Calgary will be eager to offload Markstrom. Losing Marner doesn't mean this can't be a better playoff team. The question is what does Marner fetch because Cowan could be ready next year. He won OHL mvp and had a 38 game pt streak. I think this teams chances improve but we need 3 scoring lines.

I know I’m talking more about a maturity thing. They are what they are at this point. I don’t see Mitch or Matthews suddenly taking a 180 and becoming playoff beasts all of a sudden.
When you win a series you need Mathews to win 2 games, Nylander to win some and a hot goalie who can win some. Mathews was injured/sick.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
ya Shanny sounded scared and afraid and likely a guy with zero confidence with how to move forward navigating this mess. pelley was being nice retaining him but he shoulda been fired

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
The core is about to get obliterated for sure. They made it pretty clear (even more than I expected) with their words.

Finally they're coming to their senses.

Reactions: Bellzy

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Fair enough. I just think about other players over the years that have gone elsewhere and won.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
A huge and very physical player who gives you 35+ and 75+ and is only 24 and makes 8 mil for the next 4 seasons for a small soft 100 pt player who's 27 and will be making atleast 3 mil more ( assuming he doesnt take a pay decrease on his next contract) than Brady for the next few years?
Yeah, sign me up for that. I was only thinking about Brady Tkachuck who doesn't score at that rate. They must be hiding that Brady.

Might have to reinforce the arena if Keith comes to watch
They can do that if necessary.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Yet here we are years later and shockingly to you, I was right. Facts are facts, this core has disappointed every year in the playoffs. Marner being a 100 point player is relatively meaningless. And now here we are with him likely/hopefully finally being traded.

Rielly, Woll, ROR, Schenn... there's a few Leafs I've love(d).
As I said twice before now, I think it's incredibly weird to be still hung up about Alex Pietrangelo. You said it to dig Dubas in a conversation about who BT might look at this off-season, we get it, you hate Kyle Dubas, message received for the 3,294,303rd time.

I think that sometimes you are right, actually, you are just too emotional in the moment to be relied upon for judgement or producing a coherent plan for a way forward. Evidenced by your way forward being to be mad about a 2020 free agent or possibly by you saying that you'd be happy if everyone but Woll, Rielly, and Schenn all headed over to Pittsburgh after last season. You don't have a good track record with being the slightest bit objective, is all.

I don't think you are right about Marner either, btw, over the course of his NHL career I believe that will become evident (though I don't expect to hear that much from you or anyone else). And dear lord, if we re-sign him, OMG, this place is going to be hilarious to watch.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
This era has no potential anymore. Not as it currently constructed with core 4.

Do you think these guys are still kids? I don’t know how many more first round failures it would take for someone like yourself to acknowledge it will never work.
Kyle Dubas signed those players, so they are infallible. It's all Treliving's fault bro.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Picking up 2 of Pesche, Tanev or Montour fixes the defense and Calgary will be eager to offload Markstrom. Losing Marner doesn't mean this can't be a better playoff team. The question is what does Marner fetch because Cowan could be ready next year. He won OHL mvp and had a 38 game pt streak. I think this teams chances improve but we need 3 scoring lines.

Hypothetical but I think if possible...

Knies-Matthews-UFA/return from Marner trade
McMann/Bert*-Domi-Nylander
Tavares-Holmberg-Cowen/Minten
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves/Minten
XXX

McCabe - Montour (need #1PP guy)
Rielly - Pesce
Benoit-Liljegren*
Timmins/Edmundson*(I re-sign big Eddie)

Markstrom
Woll

PP#1:
Nylander-Matthews-Domi-Knies/Bert*-Montour

PP#2
McMann-Holmberg/Cowen*-Tavares-Rielly-Pesce/Liljegren

Notes:
- Trade Jankrok for futures
- If Liljegren is looking for more than 2M then try to trade him too
- Need a UFA and/or Marner trade signing to play with Matthews
- Tavares can slide to center if any of the centers are injured. We need Holmberg to develop into a center so I would prefer him playing Center over Tavares; JT can take important face-offs
- I woudn't mind bringing back Bert as long as it is in the 3 to 4 AAV range if its more then good luck to him
- IMPORTANT - DO NOT TRADE HildeBEAST!
- other possibilities too* depending on how things playout.

TBD of course ;)

Reactions: Eric bungay

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
They need to explore all 3 of JT, Marner, Rielly

Even if you only get Marner, you need to shake up the mentality of this whole group. I dont care that JT goes home to his kids and wife. He's a professional athlete where the team has given him $80M and where the fans support like heck so MLSE can afford it.

Time to be cut throat. MGM needs to explore every single avenue to create more money and to better balance the lineup.
Be "cut throat" to Tavares how? He has an nmc and will just say no. It doesn't matter that you don't think he should prioritize his family. I'm just saying all indications suggest that's where his priorities are. He's not going anywhere.

Marner makes sense. His body language seems to indicate he's done with "the show". There's too much pressure here. He' clearly greedy and wants to maximize his pay with no consideration that it comes out of his teammates pockets. Let him go make his 13 mil on a team where he's "the" guy and won't have to face the playoff pressure that he can't handle. There would be a good return on the trade.

Reactions: egd27

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site

When you win a series you need Mathews to win 2 games, Nylander to win some and a hot goalie who can win some. Mathews was injured/sick.
Excuses.... After 8 years we can't have excuses... If we played hard and lost like we did in game 7 and it's been 1 or 2 years, then ok.... But after 8 years of the same shit... The no shows for game 1 and 4...Can't win at home, pp and pk is trash, can't score more than 2 goals in a game... Marner bailing on plays and contact... Sorry, it doesn't fly before.

The players should have came out and took it on the chin. Morgan and Marner have an A and didn't address the media and fans after game 7. No one except Sammy or Willy take responsibility and say it's on them they need to play better.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Be "cut throat" to Tavares how? He has an nmc and will just say no. It doesn't matter that you don't think he should prioritize his family. I'm just saying all indications suggest that's where his priorities are. He's not going anywhere.

Marner makes sense. His body language seems to indicate he's done with "the show". There's too much pressure here. He' clearly greedy and wants to maximize his pay with no consideration that it comes out of his teammates pockets. Let him go make his 13 mil on a team where he's "the" guy and won't have to face the playoff pressure that he can't handle. There would be a good return on the trade.
Dont be afraid to ask. Once they ask, the player realizes they no longer want him here. It could go both ways. I just dont want us being scared with these decisions. I dont care about JT's family. This isn't working anymore. There's no use to be scared. So go with a plan and ask all 3 guys to waive and see what happens.

Last edited:

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
As I said twice before now, I think it's incredibly weird to be still hung up about Alex Pietrangelo. You said it to dig Dubas in a conversation about who BT might look at this off-season, we get it, you hate Kyle Dubas, message received for the 3,294,303rd time.

I think that sometimes you are right, actually, you are just too emotional in the moment to be relied upon for judgement or producing a coherent plan for a way forward. Evidenced by your way forward being to be mad about a 2020 free agent or possibly by you saying that you'd be happy if everyone but Woll, Rielly, and Schenn all headed over to Pittsburgh after last season. You don't have a good track record with being the slightest bit objective, is all.

I don't think you are right about Marner either, btw, over the course of his NHL career I believe that will become evident (though I don't expect to hear that much from you or anyone else). And dear lord, if we re-sign him, OMG, this place is going to be hilarious to watch.
It actually wasn't to dig at Dubas. It was to say here's a guy who was exactly what was needed that was actually available, and allegedly willing to come to Toronto. If there's another Petro type that hits the market the Leafs need to be all over that. I've been saying for years as much as I like Rielly, he's not the guy you want as your #1.

I mean was I that far off in saying that? I don't think Matthews or Nylander are "it" either and would be happier if they got traded too but I've accepted that ain't happening. There isn't much on this team I see value in building with.

In a weird way I appreciate you saying that. Though I wouldn't call it emotional.. this team losing hasn't affected me the last few years because I've accepted it. As long as this group is in place its expected until proven otherwise. Re-signing Marner would be hilariously stupid, but if you're happy watching the same results 8 times in a row who am I to argue. I just don't see him suddenly figuring it out, he's shown 0 signs of it thus far.

But... one more time for the people in the back, f*** Dubas

Last edited:

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Kyper has sources.
Yes he does. I’m wondering who his source was when he said earlier in the week that Matthews wa a finalist for the Selke because he was a “shot blocker”. Now I take EVERYTHING he says with a grain of salt! Lol

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

I agree it's extremely unlikely, it's just nuts to me that Shanahan could be here longer based on his results. Speculation on my part though.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad