Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
time to be cut throat

If JT doesn't want to be traded too bad. Put him on waivers.

Go spend his money in FA

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
This era has no potential anymore. Not as it currently constructed with core 4.

Do you think these guys are still kids? I don’t know how many more first round failures it would take for someone like yourself to acknowledge it will never work.
He makes Shananan look like a genius

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Just listened to the full presser. A big takeaway for me was, they all recognize that the current make up isn't the recipe for success. You just can't say it openly and devalue and asset you're trying to trade. From their facial expressions and how body language changed, how they answered questions, seems like they also want Marner gone.

Lots of talk about "playoff goals vs regular season goals" from Tre and Shanny, and the difference between generating those goals. Then we look at the drop off in goals and it's blatantly obvious to the entire fan base where a significant amount of that drop off came from.

Reporters were all trying to get a straight answer whether or not they're breaking up the core. The 3 of them can't say it openly, but it's really hard to watch that and think that there won't be a big change.

Mitch is the odd man out. His work ethic, lack of production in the playoffs, his attitude, now hiring a security team for the media, everything seems to suggest he's gone. It was just like a polite way to say we're going to take our time and not rush a trade/decision but there will be significant changes happening, we are open to moving a core piece or pieces.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Mitch is the odd man out. His work ethic, lack of production in the playoffs, his attitude, now hiring a security team for the media, everything seems to suggest he's gone. It was just like a polite way to say we're going to take our time and not rush a trade/decision but there will be significant changes happening, we are open to moving a core piece or pieces.

Shanny: "We're not going to single anyone out"

ahem. You just did.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Sounds like a bunch of fakers giving lip service and each one trying to take the blame.
Lots of bla bla bla and until they actually make meaningful change absolutely nothing will change
Actions speak louder than words but I like what I heard today and I am expecting some significant changes. I did not like anything I heard the last several years during the managements presser so......fingers crossed.

Reactions: glue

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Just gleaning from the presser I get the feeling that Shanny is basically suggesting "I was wrong about this core" and Dubas probably wanted to make the right moves in the offseason. The RIGHT moves as it were but Shanny shut him down and then prevented him from going over his head.

If this turns out to be true, it will be evidence that Dubas was right and is a much faster learner than Shanny. Something seemed off about that firing and it had to do with power struggle and philosophy differences perhaps.
I didn't get that at all.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
I sure hope so, I just don't know who that'd be at this point with Hanifin locked in to Vegas. I don't think Calgary moves on from Andersson or Weegar (as much as I'd love Weegar) that leaves the possibility of an ugly contract to Tanev. I like Tanev but that feels like another Brodie/Muzzin/Giordano who's about ready to fall off a cliff.

Dubas screwed the pooch not dumping Marner the year Pietrangelo was a UFA.

Seth Jones is another one I'd love to get. He fits the mold of a player in a similar tier as Rielly
Hanifin was never going to play in Canada long term anyway, so moot point. He's going after Zadorov or Tanev. Maybe he doesn't get either of them, but I can see that being the path he travels down first.

Pietrangelo is a weird thing to be mad about. He was a 31 year old looking for a metric bleep ton of money and max term. Marner was a 23 year old kid on an up and coming roster (who led the team in scoring that year to boot). Brodie, who we did bring in that year for much less, was pretty good for the majority of his contract, as well.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Pelley left Rogers after that terrible (for Rogers) deal for NHL rights. He left the ETG amid negotiations with PGA Tour and the Saudi backers of LIV Golf that left a bad or, at least mixed, feelings about his departure. Be interesting to see his reaction when the shit hits the fan... and it will.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
time to be cut throat

If JT doesn't want to be traded too bad. Put him on waivers.

Go spend his money in FA
We have to accept reality here. We are stuck with Tavares one more season. Waiving doesn't really help our cap. Buying out doesn't really help our cap. And he has 3 kids in school. His priority is his family and it couldn't be any clearer. Giving him 5 minutes a night on the 4th line won't accomplish anything whatsoever. He still comes home to his wife and kids most nights. He doesn't have to move them somewhere else on the continent and start at all new schools for just one year. He has an nmc and is not leaving. He also has no trade value even if it did happen. We'd get nothing. We'd assuredly have to retain.

Marner is far different. Half the teams in the league are either losing money or scraping by. Marner makes 750k next year in REAL money. The poor teams would be frothing at the mouth to have a year of a 100 point player at 750k. There's also the clear trade and sign possibility like the Tkachuk situation in Florida.

It's what makes the most sense. It's better than paying him 13-14 million after next year. And it's better than letting him walk for nothing.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Hanifin was never going to play in Canada long term anyway, so moot point. He's going after Zadorov or Tanev. Maybe he doesn't get either of them, but I can see that being the path he travels down first.

Pietrangelo is a weird thing to be mad about. He was a 31 year old looking for a metric bleep ton of money and max term. Marner was a 23 year old kid on an up and coming roster (who led the team in scoring that year to boot). Brodie, who we did bring in that year for much less, was pretty good for the majority of his contract, as well.
I wouldn't mind Zadorov, kinda forgot about him. But he's another LD when there's already so many on the roster as is.

Petro was the #1D on a cup winner last year, and was exactly what this team was missing. I don't need the benefit of hindsight to say Marner ain't anywhere near worth his cap hit in the playoffs, I was saying it back then too.

This team would've been much better positioned to make deep runs with Petro + whatever future assets would've been acquired for Marner.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
I'm not generally scraping through injury reports, but I can't ever recall players missing playoff games for Migranes and illness like we saw with Matthews and Willy. Just feels like there's something there or someone messed up
Willy said after the season that he couldn't even see when it was happening and they were worried it was a concussion, so obviously he couldn't play. I don't know why we're questioning that.

For Matthews, I think the only thing to question is if we skirted around concussion protocol. I think it's pretty obvious that is what was going on, likely happened in Game 3, but he played in Game 4, so no one wants to come out and say that's what it was. End of the day, he was feeling worse when he increased his exertion, they pulled him from the game (team docs, he didn't check out), and then those same team docs wouldn't allow him to play for fear of damage that could be done. For all the reading between the lines people are doing on everything else that was said, it's somewhat shocking we're even still pretending he was just missing the game sick. He was either concussed or they had a very strong reason to believe he was.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
This is such a tired argument.

They lose money on the Argos, Marlies, TFC.
They spend on 5 (yes 5) Asst GM's and 2 Special Advisors to the GM
They employ 8 Asst and Specialty Coaches
They employ 9 Player Development staff
They give money away on top notch medical staff, training, practice, and nutritional facilities.

They clearly don't mind spending money.
No, I'm not saying they don't spend. That much is obvious.

I'm saying they paid millions for Keefe to leave. They don't want to do the same with Shanahan.

They're still a business. Their shareholders probably don't like the idea of burning money.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
As you get older you realize very few “Presidents and CEO’s are actually impressive” most of them just lucked their way into it .
That goes for most of corporate positions. A great deal of nepotism, ass kissing and general incompetence.

To be honest Ontario is the hotbed of "entitlement and lengthy career without competence", mainly in government roles be they municipal or otherwise, however, MLSE is as close as you will find to a government agency. Imagine getting out of the first round once in 9 years and sticking around.

I mean...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Willy said after the season that he couldn't even see when it was happening and they were worried it was a concussion, so obviously he couldn't play. I don't know why we're questioning that.

For Matthews, I think the only thing to question is if we skirted around concussion protocol. I think it's pretty obvious that is what was going on, likely happened in Game 3, but he played in Game 4, so no one wants to come out and say that's what it was. End of the day, he was feeling worse when he increased his exertion, they pulled him from the game (team docs, he didn't check out), and then those same team docs wouldn't allow him to play for fear of damage that could be done. For all the reading between the lines people are doing on everything else that was said, it's somewhat shocking we're even still pretending he was just missing the game sick. He was either concussed or they had a very strong reason to believe he was.
My question is more how/why did Willys issue flair up then right at a critical time and what if anything would have limited the chance of it happening.

I do think Matthews sounds like a head injury but timelines don't make much sense for me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad