Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Shanahan couldn’t come right out and say if he believes the core could win. Not like years past where he would say yes.

Yeah, if you look back throughout the years, he really doubled and triple downed on them.

This time it was clear, they can't keep the same team...what do people think that means?

Reactions: ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Asked of Shanahan... do you still believe in the Core 4.

Without getting specific, there is a time for patience.... but, it is certainly evident we have to assess if we have to make the changes. We aren't going to name a player. Over time and information, and patterns not change with the team, or players, you adapt to new information.

Basically stating that it's become evident, that there are players who haven't changed to adapt to the playoffs. Clearly they've asked, it hasn't happened.

So no, he doesn't believe in the Core 4 now. Expect that they ask for the NMC to be waived in at least one player from the core for... at least one.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Honestly, if the leafs fans wanted change, I feel they should be happy with that press conference, they are definitely going to try to change the make up of the team, and the style they are playing.

One Significant trade will happen

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
i got the impression that the age of management asking for patience, for the core to grow and develop a winning mentality, is over.

Reactions: Kazparov

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Clearly he is saying this isn't a time for patience. Every player has the desire to win in Toronto, doesn't question their dedication, but as a group, will consider changes, not just for regular season, but the playoffs.
And the last few times Leaf management has talked like this, it has resulted in veteran-laden teams that perfectly fit into that hockey purgatory that you NEVER want to be in, "Not good enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough to get a top 5 pick.".

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How are they going to make big trades if every big name has a full NMC?

And the 2 guys who should be traded are local boys who want to play for the Leafs, they are unlikely to waive.

The athletic has reported that Marner would have potentially accepted a trade or at least considered one last summer. He also seems to visibly dislike dealing with the media here. Without saying one way or the other If it's a good idea to trade him, I'm not so sure it's impossible either.

I don't expect Tavares to waive though.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
His evasion of the core-4 question instead of an even somewhat direct answer tells me they are exploring changes to the core-4.
Yes he's very good at saying a bunch of words without answering questions but ... his answer there made feel like Marner won't be back. Very good news if true, I hope I'm not wrong.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Seems like Shanny and Tre have one year to figure this out, or Pelley is up there next year, all by himself.
its not just pelley, the ownership will not agree to a new contract for shanny

its next year deep run or gone on ur ass

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The athletic has reported that Marner would have potentially accepted a trade or at least considered one last summer. He also seems to visibly dislike dealing with the media here. Without saying one way or the other. If it's a good idea to trade him, I'm not so sure it's impossible either.

I don't expect Tavares to waive though.
They strip Tavares and humilate him.Its Mathews team now.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
JT is the hard one, but again, if you make it clear he's not going to be re-signed then it may change his mind.

I actually think this could work, if Treliving/Shanny have the stomach for it.

Any player with any pride being told, nicely, that they want him gone is going to find it hard to stay. Yes, he has a young family but if he's not going to be re-signed he's either retiring or moving somewhere else next year anyway.

And in either case, now or next Summer, he has total control over where he goes. So there's the plus of possibly getting a better extension with a new team in the next few months instead of gambling that he's going to be in a better bargaining position 12 months from now (given how his game has fallen off, that's not likely).

Again, though, is this the conversation Brad really wants to have? If he does, and Tavares is moved then oh boy, yeah Pelley was really serious at today's presser about winning being the only thing.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad