Locker Clean Out Day 1, 4/17/2024; Day 2 4/18/2024

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I would have liked some blurbs from all of the guys. What is Vic's mindset for what is next? Same for Comrie? How about Gus since he's been here forever? Robinson, Bryson, ask Jost why he's not going back to help Roch win a Calder Cup...?

Sure - but they got the 9 top forwards and all 6 top defensemen, plus the #1 goalie who played almost every game the past few months. That's better than most teams I bet.

Reactions: SabresFan26

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Just slogged through all of them. Very concerning on a few fronts, with regards to the goings on of last year.

- Thought Cozens’ opening two minutes were the most shocking

- Tuch’s was insightful in the same sense

- the guys were hardly effusive with their praise for Granato, and each of them had a chance to be

The idea that they’re seemingly so willing to work with a way more demanding coach is a big slight to Don. I did not realize it was to that level.

I wasn’t deep day to day this season at the level I normally am - were the shitty practices and the brutal training camp effort level discussed throughout? Assume so, but would love more from the crew here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just slogged through all of them. Very concerning on a few fronts, with regards to the goings on of last year.

- the guys were hardly effusive with their praise for Granato, and each of them had a chance to be

The idea that they’re seemingly so willing to work with a way more demanding coach is a big slight to Don. I did not realize it was to that level.

I wasn’t deep day to day this season at the level I normally am - were the shitty practices and the brutal training camp effort level discussed throughout? Assume so, but would love more from the crew here.

We didn't like how they came out in preseason and then they started a bit disorganized. They were late starting way too many games. There were no changes to their PP despite now being 16 months since it worked.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

They looked like crap during the preseason then carried it over for a big portion of the beginning of the season. They seemed to have been a bit better after the turn of the new year, but they still were pretty blah, and couldn't string together a good win streak to save their lives.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I was a fly on the wall at their season end party tonight (for a half hour before the staff said who the hell are those guys :laugh:). Very different vibe than last year's - this one was more so(m)ber and grown up, Last year's was...a party. A good sign I think.
Where was this?

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Yeah. The blame for this season is top to bottom. The players clearly didn't put the work in last offseason and were coasting from game 1. They deserve blame for that. Granato didn't hold anyone accountable and couldn't establish a system to play in. He deserves blame for that. Adams misjudged his players development and dedication + didn't bring in any personnel to the forward ranks + held onto Granato too long. He deserves blame for that.

It's incredibly frustrating to hear the players say 'we need to work harder than ever this offseason'. Dammit! If y'all had that mindset last season, you may have made the playoffs this year. You would hope barely missing the playoffs would've been enough to light a fire under their asses.

Instead, they wasted a season and our time. I'm sticking with my 'these players are unlikeable' until the prove theyre about their shit. It's so frustrating they got cocky and thought everything would fall into place only to regress heavily. Adams put faith in them, and that's how they repay him?

Im tired of lip service (please no dirty jokes!). Let's see them do what they preach.
In other words, talk is cheap and we are tired of the excuses.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

It's obvious that the team needed an intervention.... todays term.... it used to be called an ass kicking.... back around the 20 game mark.

A lot of people here use that number as a benchmark. Adams failed by not stepping in at that point....hoping things would work out. That was not only naive, it was stupid.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Re: Why do players crave accountability...

I think when players don't really see or feel consequences for playing poor from the staff "above them", poor play just becomes the norm. Not that they don't want to work harder or play better, but even the most motivated person will eventually regress to that (or simply want out), if that's what everyone around them is doing and that's where the bar is so to speak. Professional sports or not, that's just human nature.

Players holding eachother accountable is important, but when players are doing that without really having a good sense of what the coaches/teams expect and enforce (and the coaches not being inept and enforcing the right things as well)... that's where the locker room gets toxic.

No one in this room wants things to get toxic. They're young, they're talented, and they like and respect eachother... that's kinda why this group actually has hope with a more hard-nosed coach versus, for example, some of the Eichel years. But they're craving someone to take control. The coaches need to set and enforce expectations, around that a leadership core will grow and start to kinda police eachother... but that's the order it needs to happen, not the other way around.

Maybe it sounds a little juvenile, like a parent/child relationship... but that's kinda what it is tbh. Especially for the youngest team in the league trying to grow up.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Fairburn brings up the oddity of having Gus not speak despite him being here for so long and being a letter wearer.

The players are saying they want to be pushed but are they ready for it?\

I don't think the players got the communication from Granato which was why there was so many times Granato would talk about how they played in a loss and it was so often the same and the players didn't do it. The delivery didn't get through to them.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Biggest (new) quote that caught me:

Fairburn: (asking Alex Tuch) "how do you want younger guys to respond to this? And he (Tuch) said, they need to know it's not all Donny's fault"

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

It is interesting to see players from other teams that missed the playoffs talk about how they lacked consistency and accountability just like the Sabres did.

It's almost like that those are the go to cliches when the team underperforms...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad