Local sports coverage talk (the Athletic/Local TV/TBN/WGR/Charging Buffalo/LGA, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Murph is the worst. His jokes are bad. He takes jabs at his co-hosts all the time. Donald Jones was bad because he would just complain about the weather or repeat what was just said. However, when Murph was away you can just feel a sense of relief from Donald especially when he was paired with Sal C. or Ruben Brown.
I tried to help him. I sent some jokes and he wouldn't use them.

Harrington, Gleason, and Sullivan are stranded on a desert island, find a magic lantern containing a genie, who grants them each one wish.
Gleason wishes he was off the island and back home.
Sullivan wished the same.
Harrington says "I'm lonely. I wish my friends were back here."

Harrington, Gleason, and Sullivan walked into a bar. The bartender looks at them and says, "What is this a joke?"

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
That's not going to keep any talent you do find in your barn for long.....

Exactly...and that explains everything about the current state of the WNY media market.

Over the years, WNY has produced PLENTY of very good journalists/writers/media people. And all the most talented ones have moved on to greener pastures in bigger markets.

The ones still working in WNY are not exactly the cream of the crop.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Exactly...and that explains everything about the current state of the WNY media market.

Over the years, WNY has produced PLENTY of very good journalists/writers/media people. And all the most talented ones have moved on to greener pastures in bigger markets.

The ones still working in WNY are not exactly the cream of the crop.

Bill Mazur comes to mind. So does Tim Russert.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I’m a Kings fan but live in Buffalo and obviously follow the Sabres.. but does anyone remember Schopp hoping Jonathan Quick got injured so the Sabres had a team to trade Ryan Miller to? Insane.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Yep, Moritz for sure. Hire a writer from somewhere else and move them here. We don't have anyone else...

And who said Harrington? LMAO that kind of talk wil, get you banned around here...

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Anybody on here looking for a new career? Hoppe, Yerdon, etc please, they all write predictable stories, nothing compelling thought provoking, zero analytics. Why would anybody pay for that? The Athletic wants better - insiders, analytics, original thinkers. I'd read Jame or struckbyacar before anybody who's been suggested here so far - i don't agree with Jame and struck all the time but their points of view do make me think and compare to my own views.

If I had that job I'd be all over this 'team culture' issue, to see if there is an issue or if there's truth to it. People on Twitter DM me gossip and I'd be following up on that to see if there's truth to them.

Tim Graham would be a coup for The Athletic but not sure he'd be interested - he does feature writing and probably is making at least as much as the Athletic is paying and the BN writers are union so i'm sure health/dental/optical/pension etc

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Anybody on here looking for a new career? Hoppe, Yerdon, etc please, they all write predictable stories, nothing compelling thought provoking, zero analytics. Why would anybody pay for that? The Athletic wants better - insiders, analytics, original thinkers. I'd read Jame or struckbyacar before anybody who's been suggested here so far - i don't agree with Jame and struck all the time but their points of view do make me think and compare to my own views.

If I had that job I'd be all over this 'team culture' issue, to see if there is an issue or if there's truth to it. People on Twitter DM me gossip and I'd be following up on that to see if there's truth to them.

Tim Graham would be a coup for The Athletic but not sure he'd be interested - he does feature writing and probably is making at least as much as the Athletic is paying and the BN writers are union so i'm sure health/dental/optical/pension etc

TBN is cutting cost left and right. They are a sinking ship.

Reactions: brian_griffin

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
TBN is cutting cost left and right. They are a sinking ship.

They are but I think the sports section, Bills and Sabres coverage, is still very important to them. The Buffalo News isn't going out of business, not yet anyway. A major city without a daily newspaper is something this country hasn't seen in its history. Somehow journalism has to survive, if not, we are in deep trouble as a society. An Internet filled with fake news, nobody trusting any news source that doesn't agree with their own opinion - dangerous.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
They are but I think the sports section, Bills and Sabres coverage, is still very important to them. The Buffalo News isn't going out of business, not yet anyway. A major city without a daily newspaper is something this country hasn't seen in its history. Somehow journalism has to survive, if not, we are in deep trouble as a society. An Internet filled with fake news, nobody trusting any news source that doesn't agree with their own opinion - dangerous.

The business model is in trouble and they just dropped a few more things from the paper. Pretty soon its going to be a pamphlet. Getting back to the thread topic, Graham may want to leave for a more secure job environment.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is it bad that I've never heard of the Buffalo Star until you mentioned it right now. It's a nice website, but it doesn't look like they put out much content. the last article was May 8th?

Yeah, it seems like a good idea (similar to the Athletic in fact), but I have no idea if they can make a full-time gig out of it. Kevin O's last article I think was in December.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Working for the Buffalo Star?
He hasn’t worked for them for a while. He’s writing Amerks and Red Wings articles for a local publication called Pickin Splinters. He shares the articles on Facebook. He’s obviously a good writer, but not sure he fits what The Athletic is going for. He’s very old school. Not sure why people are suggesting Yerdon and Hoppe, why would you want the same, boring writers as before, just hosted on another site? New blood.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I want some variety in the commentary and coverage of the team. I can get the Olde Tyme Hockey coverage from every writer currently covering the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad